Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying to b-school because you don't like your job

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 13:54
Is anyone else applying to b-school because they don't like their current job? Anyone have any experience w/ this? Furthermore, what if you don't even have any goal post-MBA?

B-School seems like a fun, productive way to spend 2 years, so I don't think it's an entirely bad decision. Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 14:45
I am in complete agreement with you learning33. In fact I am also planning for GMAT because I do not like my current job.
But for the matter of fact I like management. I am working as a software engineer, and a project coordinator in my current company. But I really don't see any growth after certain point if I would stick to current job profile. I also do not have a great post MBA goal, but would like to get into PE firm/finance company.
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 18:26
learning33 wrote:
B-School seems like a fun, productive way to spend 2 years, so I don't think it's an entirely bad decision. Thoughts?

That sounds like a really bad decision. You're running the risk that you won't end up with a job by the time you graduate.

One reason why they get you to come up with post-MBA goals is because you need to decide pretty dam quick what you want to do once school starts. You don't have a lot of time to explore (as much as they tell you that).

There is nothing wrong with wanting to get an MBA because you don't like your current job. However, if you don't have at least some long-term plan (even if it changes) you're asking for trouble.

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 18:36
learning33 wrote:
Is anyone else applying to b-school because they don't like their current job? Anyone have any experience w/ this? Furthermore, what if you don't even have any goal post-MBA?

Have you considered law school? Because all the seniors in college without a post-graduation plan share similar views...

I think many people return to bschool because they don't like their current job, if not most. However, if you don't have a post MBA goal, then it's going to be a big problem. Therefore, you should figure out what you want to do and whether $100k plus debt is acceptable for you to take on this big venture.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2276

Kudos [?]: 8791 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 21:55
Expert's post
learning33 wrote:

Very many BSchool students apply because they want to switch their industries/careers, and obviously, many of them do not like their jobs at all (hence jumping ship). So, you are not alone there. A certain proportion of your classmates will also be using bschool as a "break" to get away from work/trouble/etc and live in debt without feeling bad about it. However, that proportion shrinks to zero the closer you get to Top 10 schools.

You should have some kind of an idea what you want to do or how MBA will help you. A good suggestion is to speak to someone who has the degree and pick their brain - perhaps your boss or somebody you met at a party, etc. If you are really not sure, as Nink said - MBA is a pretty big financial responsibility, and you are not only sinking $100K but also income for 2 years - another $100K. It is probably cheaper to teach English in Thailand or China for a few years and figure out what you want to do then.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 22:19
Good discussion!! I think learning 33 just shared his feelings with us (which is not a bad thing). A person who is not happy with current career lines can also think on these grounds, so we should not feel bad about this.

Secondly, I think 33 will himself/herself learn how -ve or +ve his approach is. There are number of exmples where a person entered b.school just for fun or a change but that entrance changed his life as he could not leave that craze of being an MBA. So 33 if you are thinking on mentinoed grounds, no issue, time & environment will bring the change as you will enter the b.school. Kindly continue your b.school preparation.

It will be interesting to see any resource or thread on "Post MBA Goals", if any one refer to it, it will be great.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 20:17
haha, count me in the same boat as the OP. i didn't like the way my career was going (luckily i was still pretty early in it) and began to think about business school. did some basic research on possible career paths, and began thinking about taking the GMAT.

then i got laid off in august, so that sorta boosted my business school plans into overdrive :evil: . luckily the layoff was not performance related, so i was able to get good recs from my managers.

as for my own career path, i have a vague idea of what i want to do. but hopefully i can put it all on paper and get into one of my top schools.

GMAT Debrief

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2009, 20:22
nink wrote:
learning33 wrote:

Have you considered law school? Because all the seniors in college without a post-graduation plan share similar views...

I think many people return to bschool because they don't like their current job, if not most. However, if you don't have a post MBA goal, then it's going to be a big problem. Therefore, you should figure out what you want to do and whether $100k plus debt is acceptable for you to take on this big venture.

haha, funny you should mention law school. i actually considered it very strongly last year. i did well on my practice lsat tests, and i had several former professors recommend i follow this path. they seemed to think it would be a good fit for me, but i was still kind of iffy about it. i figured what the hell, i might as well take the LSAT, and if i get a good enough score i might be able to get in.

anyway, i bombed the lsat (not completely, but nowhere near what i was hoping to get) and got wait listed at the 3 'reach' schools i applied to. never got off the list, so i just kept on working at my same job. of course, maybe it was all fate, because the LSAT logical reasoning bible really helped with the gmat.. :shrugs: who knows

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 07:03
I would say half the students go back because they want to switch careers and of these many dislike their previous jobs. There are a small number of students who are their for a break and those seem to fall into a few groups, they sponsored, come from one of the high stress long hour finance jobs, or come from very wealthy families and eventually will be working in the family business. Its too expensive to just go back for fun if you dont really want to or need to. It would be cheaper to go volunteer overseas doing something or heck not working at all.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 13:35
learning33 wrote:

learning33,

I am on the same boat. I don't like my current job because I know it is not something I want to do forever. I currently work as an auditor and it is a completely empty and unsatisfying career to me.

I am considering business school, but I am having problems deciding what I really want to do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 05:45
Do we have new members who are in similar situation ?

All things are possible to those who believe.

Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 08:24
adishail wrote:

Definitely! I definitely started looking into an MBA because I disliked my job and didn't have a clear career focus. However, thinking about post MBA-goals has forced me to do a lot of self-reflection and develop realistic goals that I think will make me much happier in the future.

So, although I might not have developed my goals in a way that would impress an admissions officers, I have developed a solid career path because of the application process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 08:31
michigancat wrote:
adishail wrote:

Definitely! I definitely started looking into an MBA because I disliked my job and didn't have a clear career focus. However, thinking about post MBA-goals has forced me to do a lot of self-reflection and develop realistic goals that I think will make me much happier in the future.

So, although I might not have developed my goals in a way that would impress an admissions officers, I have developed a solid career path because of the application process.

Ditto here. However, it is important to impress the adcom too. michigancat, I feel if your career path is really solid, there is no reason why the adcom will not be impressed.

Lets keep this thread moving. Majority of the people fall in this category. Lets start sharing our stories/ideas here and maybe we can give each other some solid advice for the application, as well as the long term career path.

Current Student
Schools: Sloan R1, McCombs R1, Ross R1 (w/int), Haas R2, Kellogg R2
WE 1: Product Engineering/Manufacturing

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 08:45
adishail wrote:
michigancat wrote:
Ditto here. However, it is important to impress the adcom too. michigancat, I feel if your career path is really solid, there is no reason why the adcom will not be impressed.

Yeah, I can definitely turn my professional and personal experiences into a compelling, solid story. In a way, I discovered that I have been on a solid path and just didn't realize it yet.
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 21:27
Having worked with many clients as well as personal experience (my own, my friends, classmate, acquaintances, etc.) - it's rare to find someone who was leaving a job they *liked* for b-school. Most really wanted to a change of pace, to get out and find something else to do. That's why they applied to b-school.

As for *real* goals, you should have at least some idea of two or three career paths you'd like to pursue before actually stepping foot on campus. Also depends on the job market. In good economic times, it's less important -- you can afford to play it by ear a bit more, see how it goes, keep an open mind... and most people who have the least idea of what they want to do usually end up in management consulting as a default. However, in crappy job markets like now, it's really important to have a better idea of what you want before stepping foot on campus - because the informal aspects of recruiting (schmoozing, various private events, etc.) start as soon as the first 1-2 months you're in school - and when the competition for jobs is more fierce in a bad job market, you really do need to be more focused unfortunately.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 06:30
Guys,
This is exactly how I got started. Well I was not happy with the way my job was going - several reasons but my employer was treating me quite shabbily - and I see my friends postMBA at least happy in their jobs and the usual opening doors thing that comes with MBA. So yes not being happy with the job forced me to think hard and a benefit of this MBA app process if nothing else is the self realization that comes alongwith. I know I am capable of doing much more and I just feel stifled at times. Now people can argue why should MBA solve my problem, but I do think that it is one of the most versatile degrees out there. Sure the investment us high, and maybe one may not comeout ahead at athe end of it, but then one won't know unless one tries. Yes I have also thought of it as a break, an expensive one at the very least, but somehow to me it is not always about money. Yes I will be challenged to show why a MBA will help me, I wish we could just say I want a break or I don't like my job - but that is a sure way of getting dinged ! So I am a novice at MBA apps, but I want to give it my 190% and then not regret it later.

Btw if there ate any PhDs out there considering a MBA please PM me, clearly I face even a more uphill task convincing adcoms, perhaps I stand out or too stand out!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 2

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 06:59
The fact that someone doesnt like his current career/job is a common reason to do their MBA. I think it is a good way to initiate a switch in career. So, its fair enough !
Intern
Intern
Schools: Berkeley Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 09:31
adishail wrote:

I'm more concerned about my career direction than my exact job. While looking for new jobs, I noticed that I possess most of the skill neccessary to get into my dream career. Unfortunately for every job, it feels like I'm an MBA short of meeting the qualifications.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 10:15
I think it's important to think about whether or not your current career has laid the foundation for success in your desired field post b-school. Despite the wealth of "switchers" going in to b-school, many employers are still going to view you as a (pre b-school profession) with an MBA. Certainly some career paths are open to MBAs with no relevant experience but not all careers are going to be possible for you. I'm very excited about going to b-school and very pro b-school in general, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone go without a clear understanding of what is and isn't possible in their current career without the qualification. Ideally, I think someone should feel like they're just inches away from a particular role or path, and that the MBA of their choice will close the gap.

But, hey, that's just my perspective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 12:22
MBA is only a means to an end, not the end itself.

It is not always essential that one has to be inches away from a particular role or path. This might be true if one is more than half way through one's career because post MBA career will not be long enough to travel a big distance. If a role/career switch is planned early one, an MBA will give you a small change in direction, which will eventually, in 5~10 years time, result in a much larger change.

Personally, if one is inches away, doesn't make much sense to go for an MBA. Bet there are better ways to fill the gap than investing over 100K and 2 yrs.

Re: Applying to b-school because you don't like your job   [#permalink] 13 Sep 2010, 12:22