Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying to ISB,IIM (A,B,C,L) for the class of 2012

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Applying to ISB,IIM (A,B,C,L) for the class of 2012 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 03:46
sag wrote:
Hi Bigoyal..

1 more doubt... i m into my family business for the last 7 yrs after doing my B.Tech...

Will IIMA PGPX be suitable for me..?? Will IIMA treat me at paar with working executives or not..?

Thanks

Dude, now that's a difficult question. I knew some of the details since I have applied last year, though was dinged. With you I would applying again this yr :) .

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: Applying to ISB,IIM (A,B,C,L) for the class of 2012 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2010, 04:31
bigoyal wrote:
sag wrote:
Hi Bigoyal..

1 more doubt... i m into my family business for the last 7 yrs after doing my B.Tech...

Will IIMA PGPX be suitable for me..?? Will IIMA treat me at paar with working executives or not..?

Thanks

Dude, now that's a difficult question. I knew some of the details since I have applied last year, though was dinged. With you I would applying again this yr :) .

Anyways thanks a lot bigoyal for taking out time to answer my Qs...
All the best to u...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Applying to ISB,IIM (A,B,C,L) for the class of 2012 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 19:41
Hi Guys,

I am planning to apply for ISB and IIMs this year. I gave a shot at ISB last year and got dinged after iv :(

I wanna give another try this year. Here is wat I am made of..

gmat: 720
gpa: 3.2
exp: 6+ in IT (4 years Onsite, 2 years India)

ISB Reapplicants - Did you receive any feedback from adcom? I remember requesting for feedback on the appln portal million years ago and haven't received any. Looks like they are either too busy to lend a feedback.

So ppl..how r essays coming up? I haven't registerd myself on the ISB appln portal yet. I am plannign to start essays this weekend....

Wish you all the best.....

Cheers,
Sidz...

It's a tough world out there, but I gotta make it this time!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Need some help.. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 05:11
GMAT score - 640
7+ yrs of IT experience.

With the above which all Indian colleges can I aim at for exec MBA.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Need some help.. [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2010, 05:42
Adding to the same .

48 in Quant and 29 in Verbal.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Applying in India

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reg Work exp [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 06:56
I have 5 yrs of IT exp ....initial 1.8 yrs I had worked in Indian Statistical Institute , Kolkata as a project personnel ...and this was a not a permanent job. I heard IIMA considers only full time work exp....what about other IIMS??? Please help.

Longing for a dream and not toiling away for it, rarely creates the divine inspiration!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 21:49
Hi,

So basically, I am an American-Indian and, especially with my parents probably going back, I've really been considering pursuing an Indian MBA. Ideally, I'd like to end up in banking and or private equity, so are there any programs, especially outside of IIM-A and ISB that place well into those industries, or would I be better off just getting an MBA in America only? Also, does anyone know what the process is for NRI's applying there? I know ISB requires 2 years and 3-5 years is virtually required at IIM-A, but is it possible to get into the other IIMs if I score well right out of undergrad? And in general, how much more difficult is it for NRI's to get in vs Indian citizens?

thanks
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Reg Work exp [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
tosumana wrote:
I have 5 yrs of IT exp ....initial 1.8 yrs I had worked in Indian Statistical Institute , Kolkata as a project personnel ...and this was a not a permanent job. I heard IIMA considers only full time work exp....what about other IIMS??? Please help.

It might help if you can get a recommendation from somebody of importance at the Indian Statistical Institute. That way even if your experience was not a permanent job you would manage to give some weight to those 1.8 yrs.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 03:12
wannabeCPA wrote:
Hi,

Ideally, I'd like to end up in banking and or private equity, so are there any programs, especially outside of IIM-A and ISB that place well into those industries, or would I be better off just getting an MBA in America only?
thanks

Unlikely. You'd be better off getting an MBA in the US.

wannabeCPA wrote:
Hi,
Also, does anyone know what the process is for NRI's applying there? I know ISB requires 2 years and 3-5 years is virtually required at IIM-A, but is it possible to get into the other IIMs if I score well right out of undergrad?
thanks

Have a look at this website http://www.catiim.in/ (for CAT to the IIMs)

http://www.isb.edu/isb/index.shtml (ISB is your better bet. Known test format - GMAT. Less cultural barriers to be crossed! Better appreciation of work experience, extra-curricular activities and leadership qualities.)

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity

Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 13:27
Hi,

I think getting an Indian MBA will helps in terms of getting hired faster. Most of the better business schools in India have bigger companies coming to campus for interviews. Having said that you should keep in mind that getting in to IIM-A or IIM-B is comparatively daunting task. CAT is not an easy exam, and what makes it even harder is number of people taking CAT every year.

I can think of one solution to this tricky situation. You can get an MBA from a school in US or Europe where they have joint degree/collaborative programs with IIM or ISB. I can't think of any name top of my head but I am sure ISB has joint degree programs. This way you will be able to participate in campus hiring on ISB or IIM.

About MBA from US.

Personally I would go for this option. There are several reasons for that.
1. Most of the American university degrees are recognized in India.
2. You can get a job in any international bank of financial institution and ask for a location in India
3. There are relatively less number of people asking for Indian job location than the whole demand.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you any specific questions. I know some people working in India after an MBA, they should be able to answer your questions.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

Re: Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 19:18
Wharton, LBS and Kellogg are the co-founding schools of ISB. You can get full alumni status at ISB if you do a semester studying there from those three schools. Not sure if the reverse is true.

As an American married to an Indian this is something I'm considering. I've met and spoken to an American ISB grad and an Indian ISB grad who both graduated from the 3rd class through and they both have nothing but praise.

I think there is a lot of opportunity in India and am strongly considering relocating there. However, 1) US Citizen double tax, 2) Mumbai is a crazy mess that might eventually drive me insane
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 23:05
MALD2011 wrote:
Hi,

I think getting an Indian MBA will helps in terms of getting hired faster. Most of the better business schools in India have bigger companies coming to campus for interviews. Having said that you should keep in mind that getting in to IIM-A or IIM-B is comparatively daunting task. CAT is not an easy exam, and what makes it even harder is number of people taking CAT every year.

I can think of one solution to this tricky situation. You can get an MBA from a school in US or Europe where they have joint degree/collaborative programs with IIM or ISB. I can't think of any name top of my head but I am sure ISB has joint degree programs. This way you will be able to participate in campus hiring on ISB or IIM.

About MBA from US.

Personally I would go for this option. There are several reasons for that.
1. Most of the American university degrees are recognized in India.
2. You can get a job in any international bank of financial institution and ask for a location in India
3. There are relatively less number of people asking for Indian job location than the whole demand.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you any specific questions. I know some people working in India after an MBA, they should be able to answer your questions.

Well here's the thing: more than likely, I will not be competitive enough for schools like Wharton, Kellogg, or LSB that have collaboration programs with ISB. Thus, I'm basically screwed unless I actually get into ISB (which might be doable). Therefore, would I just be better off getting an MBA from a good school (i.e., I think I'll be able to get into UT-McCombs or something like that when the time comes and may have an outside shot at Cornell, Duke, UCLA, Berkeley) or ISB and then asking to work in India? What US schools, outside the M7 have a good repo in India?

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I read that IIMs take NRIs and allow them to take the GMAT, so why can't I just do that and just dominate the GMAT?
Re: Thinking About an Indian MBA...Help   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2010, 23:05