Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Applying to only HBS / GSB / Wharton - Pro / cons? [#permalink]
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, the leadership / extra-curricular part is going to be a significant factor and frankly not one I can do much about at this point. My counter-balance to that will be the international exposure side of my story - in my case, it wasn't a case of "I'm going on a rotation for 1 year" type deal - it was (and sincerely is) reflective of a deep passion, interest and commitment to work on an international scale (has been a common theme throughout undergrad and professional work experience).

Two questions:

1) How much do extra-curriculars actually matter for MBA admissions? How does it rank against other factors (GPA, GMAT, Work Experience, International Experience, etc.)?

2) Is Round 1 a significant advantage for all of HBS / GSB / or Wharton? Would it make sense to potentially delay one of those schools to R2 in order to build up a better leadership / extra-curricular profile?

I don't mean to be controversial here but my impression for seeing a few cohorts of my friends go through the process is that while GSB and HBS will very much scrutinize an application to tease out the most interesting individuals, Wharton has a bit more "check the box" feel to it (although those standards are very high). Is there any truth to that?

In any case, thanks for the feed-back. I may add one of Chicago or Columbia to my school list (or maybe both...)

Originally posted by CJH2015 on 31 Mar 2016, 16:40.
Last edited by CJH2015 on 31 Mar 2016, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Applying to only HBS / GSB / Wharton - Pro / cons? [#permalink]
I agree that it's sufficient to be 'just' a very strong applicant (without secret sauce) to get admitted to Wharton, whereas GSB and HBS do favor the applicant with something special (besides a strong resume and numbers). If spun well, your international dimension could be your secret sauce. If you want to send me your resume (paul@admitify.com), I could give you deeper feedback.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/outcomes

CJH2015 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, the leadership / extra-curricular part is going to be a significant factor and frankly not one I can do much about at this point. My counter-balance to that will be the international exposure side of my story - in my case, it wasn't a case of "I'm going on a rotation for 1 year" type deal - it was (and sincerely is) reflective of a deep passion, interest and commitment to work on an international scale (has been a common theme throughout undergrad and professional work experience). On another note, I've seen incredibly passionate and talented people gain admissions to GSB / HBS - but I've also seen quite a number of folks that market themselves extraordinarily well.

I don't mean to be controversial here but my impression for seeing a few cohorts of my friends go through the process is that while GSB and HBS will very much scrutinize an application to tease out the most interesting individuals, Wharton has a bit more "check the box" feel to it (although those standards are very high). Is there any truth to that?

In any case, thanks for the feed-back. I may add one of Chicago or Columbia to my school list (or maybe both...)
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Great profile on paper so you will be competitive for all of the programs listed but being competitive and being admitted are two different things. I would really double down on identifying areas of your profile/background that could potentially differentiate you. If you can knock your essays out fo the park and complement those with strong reccs you should be in play here especially at Wharton
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
CJH2015 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! Yes, the leadership / extra-curricular part is going to be a significant factor and frankly not one I can do much about at this point. My counter-balance to that will be the international exposure side of my story - in my case, it wasn't a case of "I'm going on a rotation for 1 year" type deal - it was (and sincerely is) reflective of a deep passion, interest and commitment to work on an international scale (has been a common theme throughout undergrad and professional work experience).

Two questions:

1) How much do extra-curriculars actually matter for MBA admissions? How does it rank against other factors (GPA, GMAT, Work Experience, International Experience, etc.)?

2) Is Round 1 a significant advantage for all of HBS / GSB / or Wharton? Would it make sense to potentially delay one of those schools to R2 in order to build up a better leadership / extra-curricular profile?

Answering your two questions:

ECs are pretty important. That said, I like to think outside the box with clients. I have yet to have someone who I wasn't able to work with and be creative about their involvement. While it would be ideal if you started something earlier, we could brainstorm how you can do something now that connects with a past interest/passion. ECs are not as important as GMAT/GPA (one item) or work experience. They are more important than international experience. Take all of this with a grain of salt as it all depends on the overall profile.

Great question, and one I help folks think through very often. Round one is certainly better, but it is not terribly different from round two. Send me an email and we can discuss a strategy for you. scott@personalmbacoach.com

You have a great profile and should be applying to the top programs. In terms of whether I would advise you to add more than H/S/W, I would like to explore your profile more. If you execute everything to perfection, you should have success at one of those schools. As a Wharton MBA grad myself, I can say you would have the best shot there, but I have gotten folks with worse stats than yours into H/S as well.

Best,
Scott
GMAT Club Bot