Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying to part and full time programs at the same school?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 12:52
I'm wondering if anyone has applied to both the Part and Full time programs (at the same time)? I live in the Chicago area and would love to go full-time to Booth or Kellogg, but to up my chances I would also apply part-time. Are the applications reviewed by the same people? If so, it would look like I don't know what I want to do. To me the education and experience provided by getting an MBA is what I am after, and either way I plan to leave my company to pursue a new career. OR Has anyone applied for the full-time program and been denied, then applied to the part-time program and got in?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 603 [1] , given: 114

Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 12:57
This post received
KUDOS
Almost all top schools that I'm aware of (including the two you've named) will NOT allow you to apply for both the full and part time programs in the same application season. I'm sure that it's possible to get into full or part time after being rejected by the other at the same school, but your application would be considered as a reapplicant, so you'd have to show significant improvement in your reapplicant essay. I have not heard of this happening with anyone before.

If you plan to pursue a new career, full-time programs will most likely offer you with more opportunities including internships, networking opportunties, and club involvement. Also, not all part time programs allow you to do recruiting with the full time applicants, so you should look into that at both schools you are considering. This could be a big factor for you. THere are significantly more people in part time programs that are trying to improve their current career as opposed to pursuing a totally new one. Also, if you're going to pursue a totally new career in a part time program, you will also most likely give up any tax write offs you may have had otherwise for continuing education.

You should do a lot more research before you decide which style is best for you b/c they are both TOTALLY different. This is coming from someone that spent an entire application season trying to decide between the two.

PS Part time programs are significantly easier to get into at both the full time programs you've mentioned...

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:18
Thanks for the quick reply! What type of program did you end up applying to and why?

Ideally I want to go full-time but my GMAT score isn't good enough yet (took it once and it was 630). I need a higher score no matter what program I apply to. I'm planning on taking the GMAT again, so I'll see what happens (which could persuade me to what program I apply to). If I went part-time I would not take tuition reimbursement from my employer (which is basically nothing anyway) so I could use the career services at Kellogg. Booth mentions meeting some criteria to use their career services but it's not clear what the criteria is (at least from their webpage).

Have you ever heard of a person starting part-time, then quitting their job to get an internship? and finishing up the same time as the full-time students? I think this is possible if you start in winter or spring quarter part-time, the following summer get an internship, then finish up with the full-time students (even though you have to continue to take the part-time classes you could graduate at the same time).
Intern
Intern

Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:28
Now that I'm thinking about it..... I saw something about needing to maintain full-time employment to use the services at Kellogg.... hmmmm
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 603 [0], given: 114

Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school? [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 13:36
Well I ended up going part time at UCLA, b/c they have an excellent part time program. They also allow you to compete with full time students for all jobs, and they don't have strict rules like some other programs. I also want to stay in the same industry, and simliar job role, etc... UCLA is ranked #2 in part time programs. And for this reason, it's why a lot of top MBA programs either don't have part time programs, or have strict rules that hurt their part time rankings. See them here: us-part-time-mba-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-84898.html?fl=menu

It's a big deal at the schools you've mentioned b/c they really don't want part time students competing agains their full time students b/c this will hurt their full time ranking. Obviously, this is their bread and butter, and why they have great reputations. But their part time programs can be somewhat limiting, but you get that reputation on your resume.

Although, I have heard of many students leaving their job after their 2nd year in the part time program, taking an internship, and then either trying to turn that into a job and working while they finish up their last year or school... or go to their last year of school is an accelerated way (while not working) and then taking a full time job with that company. It can be a little tougher though b/c recruiters aren't as familiar with it.

All this being said, you are correct, a 630 will put you outside the 80% range for both full time and part time at these programs. SO i would recommend that you put all your effort into your GMAT and work to hit 690+. At that point, you can drill down on what programs will be right for you. In the meantime, go to an open house or two (for both programs), talk to some alums, browse our forums, and really figure out what will be best for you. There's a lot to consider, but fortunately you are starting at a great time of year to have plenty of time for round 1 applications at the schools of your choice.

As far as gruduation times, speed, and if they will allow it, all schools are different. You will have to contact them directly.
Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Applying to part and full time programs at the same school?   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2012, 13:36