Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014
GPA: 2.62
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 22:43
Does anyone have any insight into the possibility of getting into top 20 (or so) schools based on GMAT scores alone?

I'll explain further. If you apply with a required amount of work experience, but no outside activities and a poor GPA (my personal situation), is there even potential for you to be admitted? Outside of the obvious decree that anything is 'possible'. Essentially they would be bringing you in to interview based on your GMAT score alone and I'm wondering if that even happens.

The reason I am asking this question is that I am planning on applying to a couple of reach schools within the top 20. Is it worth my time and money to do this if my portfolio won't even see the admissions desk?

If anyone can provide any knowledge of the subject it would be appreciated.

Much thanks for any feedback.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 23:26
GMAT scores alone definitely do not carry the weight of your business school application for the top schools, i.e. they will not guarantee an interview or admit. As far as I understand, GMAT scores are something to be "checked off." A high score is required to be considered, but it's just one of several hurdles.

Extra curricular activities and a good GPA are also a must for the top schools. If you have a good reason as to why your GPA is low, however, you can explain it in an optional essay.

That being said, I can't say if it's worth your time and money to apply, and it's not just because I don't know how much you value your time and money! If you can write some stellar essays, you'll obviously have a much better chance. It's all about how you present yourself, and I can't say whether or not you'll have a compelling application.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 01:08
bscharm wrote:
Does anyone have any insight into the possibility of getting into top 20 (or so) schools based on GMAT scores alone?

I'll explain further. If you apply with a required amount of work experience, but no outside activities and a poor GPA (my personal situation), is there even potential for you to be admitted? Outside of the obvious decree that anything is 'possible'. Essentially they would be bringing you in to interview based on your GMAT score alone and I'm wondering if that even happens.

The reason I am asking this question is that I am planning on applying to a couple of reach schools within the top 20. Is it worth my time and money to do this if my portfolio won't even see the admissions desk?

If anyone can provide any knowledge of the subject it would be appreciated.

Much thanks for any feedback.

First of all, no. A great GMAT alone will not get you an interview. Most schools talk about a holistic application process so they review everything you submit and take it into consideration.

Secondly, and this is school specific, your application will typically reach the admissions desk. Some schools utilise student reachers but for some other schools, each file is reviewed by a member of the admissions team regardless of whether it is good or bad.

I personally think GMAT helps to a point. It needs to be competitive enough so that you are in range for the school but all it does is put you into the "GMAT is in range" group of people. After that the rest of your application comes into play. Having a superior GMAT obviously jumps out and will be a plus. But a 800 GMAT will not offset a lack of work experience, low GPA, or zero community engagement. Do a quick search for Low GPA applicants though. I know there is a fantastic thread about doing your best to offset and explain the circumstance as well as success stories for people who have got into great schools with low GPA.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014
GPA: 2.62
WE: Research (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 11:56
Thanks for your replies. I recognize it is not GMAT alone, I suppose my question was more along the lines of will a high(er) GMAT make up for other glaring deficiencies, obviously which you would explain through essay and other mediums. Either way, I have more research to do on other cases with low GPA. Thanks again!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 22:23
bscharm wrote:
Thanks for your replies. I recognize it is not GMAT alone, I suppose my question was more along the lines of will a high(er) GMAT make up for other glaring deficiencies, obviously which you would explain through essay and other mediums. Either way, I have more research to do on other cases with low GPA. Thanks again!

Based on what domotron and I said, the answer is still no.

Good luck on your applications.
Re: Applying to Top 20 Schools Based on GMAT Score Alone   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2013, 22:23