Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Owen '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q38 V40
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 10:48
Hello,

I applied to the Vanderbilt MS Finance in the first round and have an in-person interview on Monday. I just took the GMAT for the second time. Here is my profile:

Undergrad double major: Bachelor of Science in Finance, Economics
Undergrad GPA: 3.88 (Senior with one more semester to go from Florida Atlantic University)
2x President's List, 6x Dean's List
GMAT #1: 640 (43Q, 35V) --> one month of studying
GMAT #2: 640 (38Q, 40V) --> one week of studying for quant only

In addition, I am a female and my freshman year I had brain surgery for a condition that would have killed me had I not gone to the doctor sooner and didn't even drop any classes! Because of my finance and economics degree I have taken many math and math related courses and got an A in all of them (Precalc, calc, statistics, qmb, macreconomics, intermediate macro, intermediate micro, mathematical economics, finance, advanced finance, cases in finance etc) I only got a B+ my first micro class but this was the semester I had brain surgery so I feel like I get a free pass on that one. To summarize, I have a good math background I just did not test well on the quant and did not have enough time to prepare.

My question is…. My gmat scores are giving me panic attacks. If I combined the 43Q and 40V it is a 680 which isn't so worrisome but I know they do not combine your two individual scores into a composite. Despite this, will they look at the fact that I am capable of a 43Q and 40V? If not, do you feel my other qualiities give me a good enough chance that I stop panicking? Should I bring up my strange GMAT score pattern during the interview?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 07:29
I think you will get in.

1) Great GPA

2) GMAT is fine

3) Brain Surgery is no joke

4) You are a woman

Not discounting you in any way, as I believe if you were a man you'd still probably get in, but MSF programs would cut their arm off for qualified women to apply. In my class we had roughly 20% women and that is considered high. Just not a lot of females interested in finance I suppose.

Come off well in the interview, have a concrete reason a) why an MSF, b) why Vanderbilt, and c) what you plan on doing with it and I think things will turn out just fine.

Good luck!

Master in Finance HQ
http://www.msfhq.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 08:57
MSFHQ wrote:
I think you will get in.

1) Great GPA

2) GMAT is fine

3) Brain Surgery is no joke

4) You are a woman

Not discounting you in any way, as I believe if you were a man you'd still probably get in, but MSF programs would cut their arm off for qualified women to apply. In my class we had roughly 20% women and that is considered high. Just not a lot of females interested in finance I suppose.

Come off well in the interview, have a concrete reason a) why an MSF, b) why Vanderbilt, and c) what you plan on doing with it and I think things will turn out just fine.

Good luck!

I got your reply 20 minutes before my interview and just finished. Thank you for calming my nerves! I think I did well. :)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GPA: 3.93
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 22:24
There's literally one girl in WUSTL's MSF corpfin track this year. It's crazy.
Intern
Intern

Re: Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2013, 14:53
Esuric wrote:
There's literally one girl in WUSTL's MSF corpfin track this year. It's crazy.

My mom is very successful so it never occured to me that business is a mans world. Until last year....I go to a college with 30,000 students of which business is the most popular college, and was the only girl in my intermediate microeconomics class. But it doesn't bother me, I always been one of the guys. Socially, I am very normal (not socially awkward) and outgoing and come from a family of successful, self-made business people (my mom has her MBA and was the first in her family to attend college, my dad has no college degree but has started 2 of his own businesses and everything he touches seems to turn to gold). Hopefully my academic achievements, charisma, and business genes shine through :D
Re: Applying to Vanderbilt: GMAT Score Question   [#permalink] 31 Dec 2013, 14:53