Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Approach Alumni in the Field of interest

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Approach Alumni in the Field of interest [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 08:18
Hi Guys,

I want to switch career both industry and function. Although I have done some work to support my move, I would like to meet the Alumni in the same field of the schools where I want to apply. I just want to ensure that the direction I am moving is realistic and I will get the job that I seek after I pour gazillions of $$$$$ into a full time MBA.

So the question is how can I reach the Alumni, so that they answer my queries and not mark my emails as spam.

1. Try career services of schools so that they can give me some contact information.
2. Try HR of prospective companies.
3. Use social networking sites
4. Don't do anything and hope that my stars are aligned when adcom reads my essay.;)

Are the first two options even practical? Are they tall orders to accomplish?

I would appreciate any input?

Thanks
Sumeet
www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Approach Alumni in the Field of interest [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 08:43
Expert's post
Great question to ask ahead of time. I think the first 2 options may be impractical due to legal restrictions. I feel the best way for information is through personal contacts, because the information you get will less likely to be skewed. You can try LinkedIn to see if you have any connections in common with the contacts. You can also get of a feel of the fields students go into by looking at the employment statistics. If you really want to communicate with someone, you can try cold e-mailing current students/alumni in those fields through Bing searches. Although, the response rate may be low, since the alumni/students are extremely busy. And alumni are probably been contacted by current students for advice as well.

Diversity

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Approach Alumni in the Field of interest [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 09:05
vatsas wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to switch career both industry and function. Although I have done some work to support my move, I would like to meet the Alumni in the same field of the schools where I want to apply. I just want to ensure that the direction I am moving is realistic and I will get the job that I seek after I pour gazillions of $$$$$ into a full time MBA.

So the question is how can I reach the Alumni, so that they answer my queries and not mark my emails as spam.

1. Try career services of schools so that they can give me some contact information.
4. Don't do anything and hope that my stars are aligned when adcom reads my essay.;)

Several universities also put up contact information of officers in various campus clubs. You can try contacting some of them in clubs that are related to the industry/function you are interested in. Several clubs even have prospective student representatives to help answer questions. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Goizueta '15 (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 3: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Approach Alumni in the Field of interest [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2012, 10:48
vatsas wrote:
Hi Guys,

Student blogs of the respective schools may have contact information. You can leave a comment on the students/admissions blogs and solicit information. (I am not sure if this is definitely going to yield results, but definitely worth a try.)
Re: Approach Alumni in the Field of interest   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2012, 10:48