Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 9

Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 03:38
I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 750, with a breakdown of 47Q (73%) and 46V (99%). I was upset when I got to the testing center because of work issues in the morning. My team was being blamed by another team for quality issues on the project and I had to defend my team while proving that the team that was blaming us was actually at fault. I was able to prove my case, but I was PISSED. Anger turned to nervousness and I didn't turn in the performance I expected but 750 is good enough.

My study plan:
I didn't study a whole lot because I've been managing a lot of things this summer, including: Additional responsibilities at work, wedding planning, family issues and a move across the state I live in. But I still managed to find time to study and here is what I did.

Phase 1

I started studying in mid-April. I bought the Kaplan Gmat Verbal Foundations and the Kaplan Gmat 800: Advanced Prep for Advanced Students. I worked through both books at a slow pace, doing about one hour of studying each week until I finished them. Then I just started printing out problem sets I found online, but still working at the slow pace of 1hr/wk.

Phase 2
Around the third week of September, I decided it was time to take a real practice test, so I downloaded the software available from MBA.com and took the first practice test. I scored a 730 with 48 Q and 43 V. I didn't have enough time to finish all the quant so I guessed on the last six. I decided to pick up the pace and start doing more real GMAT problems so I bought the extra problems for that program and started working through those. I studied about 5-6 hrs/wk. I took the second practice test last weekend and scored 780 with 49Q and 51V. I reset the score for the first test and took it again in the middle of the week, scoring an 800 with 51Q 51V. I knew that familiarity with the test may have helped, but based on the previous score of 780, I figured 800 was doable.

I didn't get the 800 I was hoping for and 750 is what I estimated I would get under the worst conditions, but I know 750 is a great score and it would be foolish to retake the test.

The funny thing is that I have a background in theoretical physics, so the huge mismatch between my verbal and quant percentiles may look weird to the adcoms. In my defense, I spent years training myself to do rigorous math, and that was difficult to turn off when switching to GMAT math. I'm also not used to working with geometrical problems and with real numbers. At the high-level, physicists mostly use symbols in their equations and rarely have to do any real computation e.g.:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: University of Economics Prague

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 04:13
HinConsulting wrote:
I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 750, with a breakdown of 47Q (73%) and 46V (99%). I was upset when I got to the testing center because of work issues in the morning. My team was being blamed by another team for quality issues on the project and I had to defend my team while proving that the team that was blaming us was actually at fault. I was able to prove my case, but I was PISSED. Anger turned to nervousness and I didn't turn in the performance I expected but 750 is good enough.

My study plan:
I didn't study a whole lot because I've been managing a lot of things this summer, including: Additional responsibilities at work, wedding planning, family issues and a move across the state I live in. But I still managed to find time to study and here is what I did.

Phase 1

I started studying in mid-April. I bought the Kaplan Gmat Verbal Foundations and the Kaplan Gmat 800: Advanced Prep for Advanced Students. I worked through both books at a slow pace, doing about one hour of studying each week until I finished them. Then I just started printing out problem sets I found online, but still working at the slow pace of 1hr/wk.

Phase 2
Around the third week of September, I decided it was time to take a real practice test, so I downloaded the software available from MBA.com and took the first practice test. I scored a 730 with 48 Q and 43 V. I didn't have enough time to finish all the quant so I guessed on the last six. I decided to pick up the pace and start doing more real GMAT problems so I bought the extra problems for that program and started working through those. I studied about 5-6 hrs/wk. I took the second practice test last weekend and scored 780 with 49Q and 51V. I reset the score for the first test and took it again in the middle of the week, scoring an 800 with 51Q 51V. I knew that familiarity with the test may have helped, but based on the previous score of 780, I figured 800 was doable.

I didn't get the 800 I was hoping for and 750 is what I estimated I would get under the worst conditions, but I know 750 is a great score and it would be foolish to retake the test.

The funny thing is that I have a background in theoretical physics, so the huge mismatch between my verbal and quant percentiles may look weird to the adcoms. In my defense, I spent years training myself to do rigorous math, and that was difficult to turn off when switching to GMAT math. I'm also not used to working with geometrical problems and with real numbers. At the high-level, physicists mostly use symbols in their equations and rarely have to do any real computation e.g.:

Interesting to hear a take on the GMAT math from a theoretical physicist. I certainly would not be disappointed with the score, though :) I would say that the schools mostly care if your score is high enough for them to consider you as a relevant candidate. They dont really care how high your score is, ie 730 or 760 wouldnt make much difference because it is high enough (box ticked) and other part of the applications are considered.

You want somethin', go get it. Period!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 08:57
"I didn't get the 800 I was hoping for and 750 is what I estimated I would get under the worst conditions"-Awesome confidence man!!
Ur verbal seems to be stellar.Any suggestions about how u approach a CR/SC question.Also,how was the exam in general?Did anything surprise u?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: 1540 Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 9

Re: Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
shreerajp99 wrote:
"I didn't get the 800 I was hoping for and 750 is what I estimated I would get under the worst conditions"-Awesome confidence man!!
Ur verbal seems to be stellar.Any suggestions about how u approach a CR/SC question.Also,how was the exam in general?Did anything surprise u?

Thanks,
Shreeraj

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've been an avid reader ever since I learned how to read English, so I didn't prep much for CR. If I had to pick one source of great material for CR, it would be the Becker-Posner Blog (http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/). Reading the posts on that site should help you build CR and RC skills quite well. If you have more time on your hands, I recommend reading one of Judge Posner's books. Posner writes at a very high level and makes quite sophisticated arguments, so trying to find holes in those arguments will exercise your CR skills thoroughly.

For SC, I found the Kaplan problems in the GMAT 800 book to be significantly more difficult than problems on the real test, so I believe that book would almost be enough to prepare you. After working through that book, the real problems I got with the GMAT software seemed much easier. It is important to practice with real problems though, as the same types of tricks tend to come up with real problems and Kaplan does not necessarily reproduce those tricks accurately.

The exam in general was far more stressful than I expected, due primarily to the work issues that angered me immediately before entering the testing center. The testing center was what I expected, but the people at the testing center seemed very cold. It may be that the people who work at the testing center are instructed to maintain a neutral demeanor, but that comes off as cold to me, especially considering I live in an area of the country known for having friendly people.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.86

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 12:04
Oh my Gosh, you aced it as if it were a piece of cake! I bet the theoretical physics helped you a big time with logic, considering your high verbal score, thumbs up buddy!

God loves the steadfast.

Re: Approximately 50 hrs of studying. 750 47Q 46V   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2012, 12:04