Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 05:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

55% (01:48) correct 45% (01:23) wrong based on 20 sessions
12. Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.
Which of the following, if true, points out a major weakness of the plan above?
(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.
(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.
(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.
(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.
(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 08:05
This post received
KUDOS
ugimba wrote:
12. Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are being manufactured, but we currently limit our inventory to only the eight most popular brands. We plan to increase greatly the number of computers we sell by expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands.
(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects.
(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold.
(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers.
(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers.
(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money.

Hi mates,

IMO B

Subjet: although there are more than 200 brands, the company just sells computers from the first 8 companies. In order to increase the number of computers, the company is planning to include in its list the first 10 brands

well, if according to B, just the first 7 companies account fo almost all computers sold, it doesn't matter if the list includes the first 8, 10 or 15 brands.

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 08:33
is n't C right? or C uses outside information ...

keep explanations coming :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 08:37
well, I think C strengths the argument instead of weaking it

if users tend to buy less well-known brands, the appropriate plan to sell more computers is to add to the list more manufacturers

but the question asks for an answer that weakens the conclusion

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 07:02
conditional conclusion:

(sufficient condition)(in order) to increase greatly the number of computers we sell --> expanding our inventory to include the ten best-selling brands(necessary condition)

Conditional conclusion can be weakened if we prove necessary condition is not in fact necessary

The current inventory includes 8 most popular brands .

(B)says 7 popular brands account for the ones most sold so there will be no need to expand the inventory ,thus necessary condition is not required
(C) in a way strengthens the plan because if people are buying less well known brands increasing the inventory to include 3 more(relatively less popular ) brands will be a good idea
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 12:55
b IT IS
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 77015

CAT Tests
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 12:01
I picked C and picked it for the same reason you guys picked B and not C.

B) It says top seven account for most computers sold. It says most and not "all". It could be the number 8,9,10th fall under the rest, and hence in a way strengthens the conclusion and not weaken it.

the reasoning is similar to assuming "less well-known popular brands" in C fall under brands 8,9,10 and not the brands other than 1-10.

Can somebody explain please explain how much assumption is right in Cr questions?
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 12:25
ugimba wrote:

Assessment of stimulus: Want to increase sales by selling additional brands
Has nothing to do with sales volume
I didn’t even look at the rest of the choices, this is the answer. If currently 8 brands are being sold and the top 7 account for almost all the computers sold, what good will adding 3 additional brands do? It won’t “GREATLY increase sales.”
This strengthens the argument.
Profit does not equal sales.
This strengthens the argument.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 14:14
B
Dawgie, good response.

I use POE for all CR question. Started going through choices (at B I knew this is the one, but need to read all), and narrowed down to A & B. Second round figured that A is not relevant. Hence, B. Reasoning - if top 7 account for majority of the sale, adding 8~10 rank brands wouldn't help the sales, since the top 7 are sold in both the cases.

All things are possible to those who believe.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 112

Re: CR --- 1000 series ..computers sale [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 02:14
B
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: AIChE, AAEES, EIT
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 17:30
B

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. (Gandhi)

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 23:00
B

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2011, 00:49
ugimba wrote:
(A) The capabilities of three most popular personal computers add to be approximately equivalent, with no brand having consistent superiority in all respects. => talk about 3 best-selling, not affect to 8 best as well as 10 bestselling brand
(B) The seven most popular brands of personal computers account for almost all computers sold. => limits 8 most popular brands is better than 10. So, this choice Weaken
(C) As the users of personal computers become more sophisticated, they are more willing to buy less well-known brands of computers. => Strengthen
(D) Less popular brands of computers often provide less profit to the retailer because prices must be discounted to attract customers. => neutral
(E) The leading brand of personal computer has been losing sales to less popular brands that offer similar capabilities for less money. => neutral. Limiting 8 or 10 best selling brands is adversely affected by this answer choice

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:09
B
Now all question looks repeat to me
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 02:06
I found the OA is B after reviewing this question. Hope that helps :)

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 01:14
B.
If the first 7 account for most of the sales, adding ranks 9 and 10 would just be futile. The sales will not be increased GREATLY by the addition of ranks 9 and 10.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 01:38
B it should be, no point in adding the other 2 brands if 7 account for most of the sale.
Re: Approximately two hundred brands of personal computers are   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2012, 01:38