Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 07:52
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:33) correct 43% (01:28) wrong based on 96 sessions
Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the Toltec, twelfth-century inhabitants of what is now Veracruz. Although there is no archaeological evidence that the Toltec used wheels for anything but toys, some anthropologists hypothesize that wheeled utility vehicles were used to carry materials needed for the monumental structures the Toltec produced.Which of the following, if true, would most help the anthropologists explain the lack of evidence noted above?
(A) The Toltec sometimes incorporated into their toys representations of utensils or other devices that served some practical purpose.
(B) Any wheeled utility vehicles used by the Toltec could have been made entirely of wood, and unlike ceramic, wood decays rapidly in the humid climate of Veracruz.
(C) Carvings in monument walls suggest that the Toltec's wheeled ceramic toys somtimes had ritual uses in addition to being used by both children and adults as decorations and playthings.
(D) Wheeled utility vehicles were used during the twelfth century in many areas of the world, but during this time wheeled toys were not very common in areas outside Veracruz.
(E) Some of the wheeled ceramic toys were found near the remains of monumental stuctures.

i was surpried by the OA.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

When u r about to make ends meet, someone moves the ends.

Last edited by pqhai on 30 Oct 2013, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 08:04
I believe A and B are the contenders. I can also prove A but needs lot of assumptions and reasoning.

B looks promising.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 10:35
I agree with B, but the note at the bottom of the question about being surprised by the OA has me second guessing...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 11:35
My first reaction was B) ... but then thinking about B), it didn't seem to really help present a good case. An argument similar to B could be used to justify anything ... for eg

' The Toltec's were the first to build 20 storied sky-scrappers ...but unfortuantely we can't provide proof since they were built of wood and wood decays rapidly' :-)

C) and D) weakens the anthropologists case.

E) Has a tenous link ... but there could be various reasons why ceramic toys could show up near monumental structures (such as (C))

I'd go with A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 12:49
I agree that B could be used to explain anything but the question was: Which of the following "if true" could help blah blah blah
All we care about is given that either of A, B, C, D or E are true, would any help provide a reasonable explanation? Although I agree that B can be used to justify anything, all we need to assume is that it is true. If true, will it help resolve the issue? Yes. Hence B is the answer. All the other answers seem shaky. As a matter of fact, can you(Version2) refuted the other answers but can you justify how A, when true, can help explain the lack of evidence in the existence of the wheel?

Mbmantra, you say you were surprised by the OA so I guess it must be something other than B but I just can't see how any other answer, when true, can explain the lack of evidence given...

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 13:13
Paul,

You won't let me get away making wild claims will you? :-). <thanks ...keeps me thinking>

There are in general two ways to explain 'lack of evidence'

1). Show that evidence could have existed sometime in the past but no longer exists thus rationalizing the 'lack of evidence'

2) Show that there is evidence (albiet not direct evidence) thus showing that the claim of 'lack of evidence' is not true.

A) says that .. The toltec sometime used toys to represent useful things. They antro's found toy wheels ...so possibly real wheels exisited.

I'd say that this is better than B).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 16:56
I see your point Version2. I agree with A. If they used toys to represent practical devices and wheels were found on those toys, then they must have used wheels in the past as a practical device to build their monumental structure. B is indeed the "shaky" argument. :?

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 18:38
Almost Everyone chsoe B. hummm....
i could not relate B with the stem given. what in gods name "wood decays rapidly in the humid climate of Veracruz. " has to do with the argument given in the question. 'A' seems right as explained by V2 and accepted by Paul.

I think i should not have written the comment in the end, sorry abt that. it confuses people, do you want OA or want more discussion abt A and B?

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 18:42
If those people had used wooden wheels long long time ago then they would have decayed by now and archeologists will not be able to find those wheels. This explains why the evidence is lacking.
I still stick with B.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 18:50
Please give the answer.

Secondly what is the source of the questions ? In other words how believable is the "official answer" ??

--Cheers
--Version2
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 155 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 18:56
This post received
KUDOS
Well said Anandnk. I know for a fact I would have picked B as first choice but it just seemed too obvious to me. Weird, the more you overanalyze a CR, the more you question your first choice over a contender and end up falling for the contender. I do agree with Version2 though that B is shaky in the sense that it simply says that the wheel evidence don't exist anymore because they were built of wood hence the lack of evidence. We could have said that argument about just anything.

Ok, I think B is stronger now because the question is asking about "the lack of evidence". In other words, why the evidence is gone? That is because the wheels are made of woods. On the other hand, A should be the answer to another question: Despite the lack of evidence, did the Toltec use the wheel? Yes, because as A says, if it was found on toys and toys themselves represent devices that are practical in Toltec's lives, then the wheel was used by Toltec. Since the question is asking about how to explain the lack of evidence, then B is clearly best. What brain buster!

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 19:02
all right, thanks Anandk. Now OA is not that surprising , i chose A and did not put much grey cell into B. QA is B.
boy... i have to think.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 19:04
hey V2, i forogt to mention source. its gmattutor yaho group.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2004, 19:18
Thanks mbamantra,

I don't know what gmat tutor is. Is it reliable ??.

I can see why B was chosen. My gut said B) but my brain typically overrules my gut (except when it comes to food :-) ) and it said A. I'm also wary when somethings handed down in a platter like B) was.

I should really start studying some. My GMAT's in 1st week of July and the only studying i've been doing is hanging out in these forums ... haven't even bought any books yet :-(.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 05:15
A big problem I had with A is the use of "sometimes". If toys are "sometimes" depictions, then that explanation does not really help the archaelogists because it could mean that the ceramic wheeled toys were not depictions. B is a better explanation for why there is lack of evidence.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2004, 07:28
True but 'sometimes' suggests 'some' not 'none'. As i said i know why B was chosen. I believe A can be justified. It depends on how the stem is read. Perhaps B is the better answer.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2013, 12:35
mbamantra wrote:
Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the Toltec, twelfth-century inhabitants of what is now Veracruz. Although there is no archaeological evidence that the Toltec used wheels for anything but toys, some anthropologists hypothesize that wheeled utility vehicles were used to carry materials needed for the monumental structures the Toltec produced.Which of the following, if true, would most help the anthropologists explain the lack of evidence noted above?
(A) The Toltec sometimes incorporated into their toys representations of utensils or other devices that served some practical purpose.
(B) Any wheeled utility vehicles used by the Toltec could have been made entirely of wood, and unlike ceramic, wood decays rapidly in the humid climate of Veracruz.
(C) Carvings in monument walls suggest that the Toltec's wheeled ceramic toys somtimes had ritual uses in addition to being used by both children and adults as decorations and playthings.
(D) Wheeled utility vehicles were used during the twelfth century in many areas of the world, but during this time wheeled toys were not very common in areas outside Veracruz.
(E) Some of the wheeled ceramic toys were found near the remains of monumental stuctures.

Hey folks, Anybody has the OA for this one?
Cheers
Best
J :)
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1162 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 01:02
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
mbamantra wrote:

Hey folks, Anybody has the OA for this one?
Cheers
Best
J :)

Hi Jlgdr

OA is B as mbamantra provided in his previous post. I also added the OA.
Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2013, 01:02