Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 70
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 00:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  75% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (02:40) correct 69% (01:47) wrong based on 376 sessions
Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in the mexican state of veracruz , small ceramic animals with attached wheels . At first this find might seem to discredit the belief that the wheel and its uses were unknown in pre-columbian culture .On reflection ,however, it would seem that discovery actually bears out this belief . To be familiar with these toys and yet not to apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks such as carting,trasportation and pottery-making must indicate a lack of understanding of the wheel and potential benefits.

Which of the following best expresses the argument made in the passage above?

A. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would not have attached wheels to ceramic animals.
B. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would have adapted it to everyday use
C. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures
D. Pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, must have known of the wheel and its use because they attached wheels to ceramic animals.
E. Since the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz did not know of the wheel or its uses, the ceramic animals found in the grave sites must be the remains of later cultures.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Can someone explain D
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by veenu08 on 16 Jun 2013, 02:58, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: *Lost and found*
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 123
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2013, 02:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
veenu08 wrote:
Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in the mexican state of veracruz , small ceramic animals with attached wheels . At first this find might seem to discredit the belief that the wheel and its uses were unknown in pre-columbian culture .On reflection ,however, it would seem that discovery actually bears out this belief . To be familiar with these toys and yet not to apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks such as carting,trasportation and pottery-making must indicate a lack of understanding of the wheel and potential benefits.

Which of the following best expresses the argument made in the passage above?

A. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would not have attached wheels to ceramic animals.
B. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would not have adapted it to everyday use
C. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would not have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures
D. Pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, must have known of the wheel and its use because they attached wheels to ceramic animals.
E. Since the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz did not know of the wheel or its uses, the ceramic animals found in the grave sites must be the remains of later cultures.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Can someone explain D


The answer choice [D] states that the pre-Columbian people understood the relevance of wheel and its uses too, since they used it in their toys, but this is not true since the wheel was used only in toys and not in other important day-to-day tasks like carting, transportation and pottery-making. Hence the choice isnt accurate.

Coming to [C], I feel it needs to be rephrased as "If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures", which they didn't. They had not adapted the idea of wheel from the basic toys found in the excavation to the regular usage of the wheel. The excavation shows no proof of the same. Hence the conclusion of the passage, that the pre-Columbian people didn't understand the wheel is re-in forced.

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Regards,
A

_________________

Feed me some KUDOS! :) :) *always hungry*

My Thread : Recommendation Letters

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 112
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 08:04
Would some one tell me why is B wrong? :o :o
I think B and C are re-stating the same fact aren't they. In fact for me B is closer to the argument, construct wise. Experts please shed light on this.

_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 837
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 536 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 08:17
vabhs192003 wrote:
Would some one tell me why is B wrong? :o :o
I think B and C are re-stating the same fact aren't they. In fact for me B is closer to the argument, construct wise. Experts please shed light on this.


B. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would have adapted it to everyday use

everyday use ==> this is too specific.

_________________

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...



GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 112
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 09:14
blueseas wrote:
vabhs192003 wrote:
Would some one tell me why is B wrong? :o :o
I think B and C are re-stating the same fact aren't they. In fact for me B is closer to the argument, construct wise. Experts please shed light on this.


B. If the pre-Columbian people of Veracruz, had understood the principle of the wheel, they would have adapted it to everyday use

everyday use ==> this is too specific.


every day use implies -> yet not to apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks (quoted from Argument).

I just feel the options are too close and are not logically separate and distinct. :? In GMAT like questions, options are distinct, conveying separate logical ideas. I dont see the case. Option C builds or plays with Option B.

Needless to say, I dont like the question. :( :evil:

_________________

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2013
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 21:45
Hi Guys,

IMO-C!

the choice is clearly between B & C.

But B is incomplete for the fact that it does not include the idea of adaption from the wheeled toys.

Basically the argument goes this way

Pre Columbian made toys with wheel.....they clearly knew the wheel ...but they did not understand the principle...if they would have then they would have used the same concept as used in the toys to their day today activity...

thus C is complete in that sense.

I might be wrong but that how I landed to the answer.

Thanks,
Aniket
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jun 2013
Posts: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 15

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 10:14
I came across this question in Kaplan's Verbal Workbook where B (everyday use) is given as the right answer and option C is different from how it is presented here.

Option C is given as:
If the pre-Colombian people of Veracruz had uses for the wheel in their everyday lives, they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures.

In any case I think B is correct because the argument does mention "yet not apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks such as carting, transportation, and pottery" showing that these applications were there where the wheel could be used.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2014, 09:50
siddharthkanjilal wrote:
I came across this question in Kaplan's Verbal Workbook where B (everyday use) is given as the right answer and option C is different from how it is presented here.

Option C is given as:
If the pre-Colombian people of Veracruz had uses for the wheel in their everyday lives, they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures.

In any case I think B is correct because the argument does mention "yet not apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks such as carting, transportation, and pottery" showing that these applications were there where the wheel could be used.


Are you sure about this buddy? So you're saying OA is B?

Let us know will you
Thanks
Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 81
Concentration: Technology, Other
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2014, 17:54
jlgdr wrote:
siddharthkanjilal wrote:
I came across this question in Kaplan's Verbal Workbook where B (everyday use) is given as the right answer and option C is different from how it is presented here.

Option C is given as:
If the pre-Colombian people of Veracruz had uses for the wheel in their everyday lives, they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures.

In any case I think B is correct because the argument does mention "yet not apply the principle of the wheel to daily tasks such as carting, transportation, and pottery" showing that these applications were there where the wheel could be used.


Are you sure about this buddy? So you're saying OA is B?

Let us know will you
Thanks
Cheers
J



I googled it and also found B as the answer :) :) . Verbal Moderators please correct it .
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2013
Posts: 69
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 03:54
I am tempted to do with B because "that the wheel and its uses were unknown in pre-columbian culture", suggesting that the principle was unknown. If it was known, well they knew it, why to adapt it from toys as in "they would have adapted the idea of the wheel from the wheeled ceramic figures ", they would have used it in toys as well as for "everyday tasks" (such as carting, transportation..) apart from making toys out of it.

"they would have adapted...." seems very limiting to me -:)

_________________

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 07:41
We have a debate here B vs C what's it gonna be? Experts please advice!!

Cheers
J
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 08:51
Want to hear some replies for this freaking question!!

Will gladly throw some KUDOS out there!

Cheers
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 462
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 09:06
there is not much difference between B and C .
what is the source of this question
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2013
Posts: 1629
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 09:12
aditya8062 wrote:
there is not much difference between B and C .
what is the source of this question


If you READ THE QUESTION it will say Kaplan, so I guess that's the correct source
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2010
Posts: 462
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 25 May 2014, 09:16
Quote:
If you READ THE QUESTION it will say Kaplan, so I guess that's the correct source

well not really .i have seen lot of mistakes in kaplan question .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2012
Posts: 297
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 45

Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 09:05
jlgdr wrote:
Want to hear some replies for this freaking question!!

Will gladly throw some KUDOS out there!

Cheers
J :)

I'm going with B.
C is very limiting for me. Also don't like the idea of "adopting it from wheeled animals"....
Re: Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2014, 09:05
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Free tests in various sites Joy111 3 31 May 2012, 02:20
3 Archaeologists have discovered various paintings on the nusmavrik 13 02 Jul 2010, 11:38
1 Archaeologists have discovered various paintings on the lexis 20 06 Jun 2008, 21:19
Archaeologists have discovered various paintings on the Jamesk486 8 18 May 2007, 04:40
Archaeologists have found wheeled ceramic toys made by the apache 4 07 May 2007, 20:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Archaeologists have recently found in various grave sites in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.