Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 81 [1] , given: 31

Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 22:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:33) correct 33% (00:58) wrong based on 52 sessions
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by Maya without benefit of wheel or animal transport.

A. huge palace and temple clusters were built by Maya without benefit of wheel or animal transport.
B. without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya.
C. the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.
D. there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya.
E. were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Vineetk on 13 Nov 2012, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 359 [1] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
Vineetk wrote:
Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters were built by Maya without benefit of wheel or animal transport.

A. huge palace and temple clusters were built by Maya without benefit of wheel or animal transport.
B. without the benefits of animal transport or the wheel, huge palace and temple clusters were built by the Maya.
C. the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.
D. there were built, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, huge palace and temple clusters by the Maya.
E. were the Maya who, without the benefit of the wheel or animal transport, built huge palace and temple clusters.

OA after discussion.

senetence starts with an appositive modifier "Architects and stonemasons" what could it modify? only "the maya" in the entire sentence. only Ans C starts with "the maya", without even looking at anyother choice for any other error we can pick C.

Ans C it is.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 23:03
My guess is C will explain if its correct....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 63

Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 23:14
need a subject after the comma C it is
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:47
Could someone throw more light on appositives???
How could C form a complete sentence?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 05:46
I had gotten to C and E and chose E because it seemed more complete. Could somebody provide explanation for why E is not an appropriate choice.
Thanks
SVP
SVP
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Architects and stonemasons, huge palace and temple clusters [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 05:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 28

Re: The Maya [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 07:54
avinashrao9 wrote:
Could someone throw more light on appositives???
How could C form a complete sentence?

I would also like to know this, please. This sentence doesn't sound right (to me).

Architects and stonemasons, the Maya built huge palace and temple clusters without the benefit of animal transport or the wheel.
Re: The Maya   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 07:54