Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

arco test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

arco test [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 18:15
I found this website just a few weeks before I took the GMAT. Here is my big problem. I went thru all questions on ETS and take Arco cat test 5 times just a week before the final GMAT day. All the while I got 580-600 on all 5 Arco test. On GMAT I score only 400 something, not ot mention my greatest shock. Is there anyway I can improve my score ? I was completely depressed after my exam. Some ppl have told me that Arco predicts pretty close but it prove wrong to me. But my quesion now is how I can improve ? I think I want to re-take the test in 7 weeks time. By the way what is "OG" that ppl are refering to in their post ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 18:34
OG is official guide. You can buy it off Amazon.com. I would say that 7 weeks is little to drastically raise your score. Is it that urgent to you? I would suggest you really take your time and go through the official guide (OG) and analyze in details the questions that you miss. Don't learn the problems in there. Learn the answers. Remember how ETS wants you to think and put yourself in their mindset. Go through every problem and make sure you understand how to explain your answer. Moreover, you HAVE to be able to refute all other answers. Do not move on until you understand the logic behind an answer. To help you out for problems you don't understand, post them on this board and other members will gladly help you out. It is demanding but is the only way you will drastically improve your score.

Among books suggested, I would also recommend you use Kaplan and Princeton Review which will give you good math and verbal tips. Last but not least, do participate in the discussions on this board. In my personal experience, it is one of the best ways to learn the GMAT. Good luck

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 19:10
Tks a lot for your prompt reply. I did go thru every single question on the OG ETS book and I did pretty good. Seems like I have to try harder again. English is my second lauguage and verbal section wasn't good for me but math was OK for me. I still can't understand why Arco give me 200 point more that what I get at the GMAT exam.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 19:15
For many of us here english is our second language. There is definitely room to improve verbal. How did you find the question in OG? Did you get 80%+ of CR and SC correct? Did you understand the last 50 math PS questions and 100 last DS questions? I would not see the reason for such a score for a first attempt if you are saying that it went fine... There must certainly be something that was not right... Was it a timing issue? Stress? Those are just as equally important skills you must work on to pump a good score.

Best Regards,

Paul

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9412 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: arco test [#permalink] New post 06 May 2004, 20:15
Expert's post
wing wrote:
I found this website just a few weeks before I took the GMAT. Here is my big problem. I went thru all questions on ETS and take Arco cat test 5 times just a week before the final GMAT day. All the while I got 580-600 on all 5 Arco test. On GMAT I score only 400 something, not ot mention my greatest shock. Is there anyway I can improve my score ? I was completely depressed after my exam. Some ppl have told me that Arco predicts pretty close but it prove wrong to me. But my quesion now is how I can improve ? I think I want to re-take the test in 7 weeks time. By the way what is "OG" that ppl are refering to in their post ?

Wing, I would also get some Kaplan materials.
I believe the forum here generally agrees that Baron's and Arco are not the finest and most essential materials.

The best predictor for the test is PP (powerprep) the software released by ETS.

The reason ARCO gave you 200+ points above your final score is that the question difficulty is different and scoring algorithms are not the same either. ETS keeps their methodology secret and no prpe company can or may replicate it. I would stick to the generally acknowledged materials - OG, Kaplan, PR, PP.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

think positive:) [#permalink] New post 07 May 2004, 05:59
Wing, I am also in the same situation as yours. I need at least 200 points to make it to the MBA program that I really want. I always log in everyday to gmat club to help me think positive and be on track. I just take things slowly and I try to master every material that I have. I hope that things would work out well for my next test. I have not scheduled my next exam but I will schedule it once I see the score that I want from my practice test. You can definitely send me messages or email if you want support. kathswanson@yahoo.com
I think the key to success is to never give up.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9412 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: think positive:) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2004, 14:33
Expert's post
kath wrote:
Wing, I am also in the same situation as yours. I need at least 200 points to make it to the MBA program that I really want. I always log in everyday to gmat club to help me think positive and be on track. I just take things slowly and I try to master every material that I have. I hope that things would work out well for my next test. I have not scheduled my next exam but I will schedule it once I see the score that I want from my practice test. You can definitely send me messages or email if you want support. kathswanson@yahoo.com
I think the key to success is to never give up.

We will try to live up to the expectations. I am slowly posting some book reviews on the site; I think they will be helpful picking materials and just sharing what YOU thought about the books. You always learn more when you TEACH or critisize something.

http://www.gmatclub.com/content/resourc ... y(%2Fbooks)&browse()

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: think positive:)   [#permalink] 08 May 2004, 14:33