Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Are all angles of triangle ABC smaller than 90 degrees? (1) [#permalink]
I know at least that A is correct because if it is a right triangle, then the ratio of the sides should be either 3:4:5, 5:12:13, etc...but from statement 1, the ratio of 2:3:4 is no way the ratio of a right triangle.

my main concern is with option B, because I honestly thought that it's suff. as "no", but according to the OA, statement 2 can mean both a right triangle and a non-right triangle...how??
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
I know at least that A is correct because if it is a right triangle, then the ratio of the sides should be either 3:4:5, 5:12:13, etc...but from statement 1, the ratio of 2:3:4 is no way the ratio of a right triangle.

my main concern is with option B, because I honestly thought that it's suff. as "no", but according to the OA, statement 2 can mean both a right triangle and a non-right triangle...how??

Look at my earlier post. Draw a triangle with obtuse angle at B. Stmt2 will still hold true.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
scthakur wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

Look at my earlier post. Draw a triangle with obtuse angle at B. Stmt2 will still hold true.

there's no way an obtuse will work. An obtuse angle is already more than 90 degrees. So if one of the angle is obtuse, there is simply no way that one of the remaining angles can even be 90. This is because if there is a second angle that has a 90 degrees, then the total sum of angles will be more than 180, which is impossible.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Another way to think of this problem...

A) 3 sides of the triangle always fix all angles. So we even haven't to go further in order to define presence of a >90 angle.

B) Let's consider the case with huge AB and AC, and small BC. Let's ABC is near 0. Now, let's try to move in mind BC changing ABC angle from 0 to 180. It becomes obvious that we move from triangle with >90 angle at ABC~0 to triangle without >90 angle at AB=AC and again toward triangle with >90 angle at ABC~180. Moreover, duiring the movement we pass two right triangles (ABC=90 and ACB=90).

Hope this help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
walker wrote:
Another way to think of this problem...

A) 3 sides of the triangle always fix all angles. So we even haven't to go further in order to define presence of a >90 angle.

B) Let's consider the case with huge AB and AC, and small BC. Let's ABC is near 0. Now, let's try to move in mind BC changing ABC angle from 0 to 180. It becomes obvious that we move from triangle with >90 angle at ABC~0 to triangle without >90 angle at AB=AC and again toward triangle with >90 angle at ABC~180. Moreover, duiring the movement we pass two right triangles (ABC=90 and ACB=90).

Hope this help

walker, your explanation is helpful. I agree with OA being A.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Data Sufficiency (DS) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts