Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 22:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 11:57
Ok, I have two questions on this topic.

1. Say I want to get a corporate job (general management, finance, or leadership development program). Is it worth the high tuition costs to go to an elite business school (Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)? Or would I be better off going to a 25th to 50th ranked program where I could save roughly $80,000 from scholarships?

2. Same question but for 10th-15th ranked schools schools (Duke, Michigan, etc.). Is it worth the money?

If there are varying opinions, I want to hear them.

Thanks

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 16:05
This post received
KUDOS
This is really a great question and you are going to get a lot of very interesting responses.

In short, I believe that an MBA degree from a top program is still worth the investment. Based upon calculations that our Chairman (a Columbia PhD), he estimates that your personal value increases about $2 million if you attend a premier program. I am pretty sure that his assessment would include the increased opportunities that will become available much further along in your career (not just your few few post-MBA years). Based on personal observations of people I graduated with from Wharton, most have and continue been presented with a wide variety of diverse career opportunities (many which they never could have imagined when they enrolled in school). My friends who attended lower tier schools also experienced a lot of career success, but they have not been presented with as many nor as diverse experiences and have usually stayed pretty much focused on the same function and the same industry. Also, when these people did try to make a move (whether industry, function or geographic), most have experienced resistance.

In short, I still believe that the investment is worth it.

Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 30

Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 04:59
ManhattanReview wrote:
This is really a great question and you are going to get a lot of very interesting responses.

In short, I believe that an MBA degree from a top program is still worth the investment. Based upon calculations that our Chairman (a Columbia PhD), he estimates that your personal value increases about $2 million if you attend a premier program. I am pretty sure that his assessment would include the increased opportunities that will become available much further along in your career (not just your few few post-MBA years). Based on personal observations of people I graduated with from Wharton, most have and continue been presented with a wide variety of diverse career opportunities (many which they never could have imagined when they enrolled in school). My friends who attended lower tier schools also experienced a lot of career success, but they have not been presented with as many nor as diverse experiences and have usually stayed pretty much focused on the same function and the same industry. Also, when these people did try to make a move (whether industry, function or geographic), most have experienced resistance.

In short, I still believe that the investment is worth it.

Manhattan Review

Thanks for that comment. I appreciate your insight.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 11:40
If you can afford it, the best is definitely better.

Last edited by mbagraduate11 on 02 Mar 2014, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 166

Premium Member
Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 12:06
ngould wrote:

1. Say I want to get a corporate job (general management, finance, or leadership development program). Is it worth the high tuition costs to go to an elite business school (Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)? Or would I be better off going to a 25th to 50th ranked program where I could save roughly $80,000 from scholarships?

2. Same question but for 10th-15th ranked schools schools (Duke, Michigan, etc.). Is it worth the money?

Short answer is yes - the top schools are worth it. If you can get into a top B-school, you should go. Now the debate starts to heat up if you get into a top 5, i.e. Booth, Kellogg with no scholarship money and a 10-15 school like Ross with a full ride, then you need to examine the situation. In this case, if you find that the same companies you want to work for recruit at both schools and at the end of the day going to a top five would just get you a few more "oohs" and "ahhs" at cocktail parties when you tell people where you went to school, the Ross-type school would be the better choice.

The thing to take away from this is that there is a wide chasm between the top 15 and the 25-50. The 25-50 schools may give you a scholarship, but if you can't get hired by the company you want to work for, it probably wasn't worth forgoing two years of salary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 48

Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 15:08
CobraKai wrote:
ngould wrote:

Short answer is yes - the top schools are worth it. If you can get into a top B-school, you should go. Now the debate starts to heat up if you get into a top 5, i.e. Booth, Kellogg with no scholarship money and a 10-15 school like Ross with a full ride, then you need to examine the situation. In this case, if you find that the same companies you want to work for recruit at both schools and at the end of the day going to a top five would just get you a few more "oohs" and "ahhs" at cocktail parties when you tell people where you went to school, the Ross-type school would be the better choice.

The thing to take away from this is that there is a wide chasm between the top 15 and the 25-50. The 25-50 schools may give you a scholarship, but if you can't get hired by the company you want to work for, it probably wasn't worth forgoing two years of salary.

I couldn`t agree more.

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money?   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2013, 15:08