Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 18:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

are extracurriculars and community service activities same?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
are extracurriculars and community service activities same? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2006, 11:52
Hi,

I have a lot of extracurriculars - ie. several years of student government activities.

However, my record in terms of volunteering is spotty.

Will my extracurricular student government make up for teh fact that I have not done the typical community service activities like volunteering at a shelter, or teaching a child.. etc etc.

Please advise

Thank you.

sandi10017

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: are extracurriculars and community service activities sa [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 08:46
sandi10017 wrote:
Hi,

I have a lot of extracurriculars - ie. several years of student government activities.

However, my record in terms of volunteering is spotty.

Will my extracurricular student government make up for teh fact that I have not done the typical community service activities like volunteering at a shelter, or teaching a child.. etc etc.

Please advise

Thank you.

Sandi10017,

If you are only a year or two out of college then your extracurricular record, especially if your impact in it was high, will compensate to some extent for lack of community leadership since graduation. But it will only compensate partially and only if you're a year or two out. Are extracurriculars the same as community? No, the latter has more of a "social impact"/"helping others" flavor; extracurric's can be hobbies and sports, etc. (See "Why Is Community Service Important?") But schools don't necessarily require that your post-undergraduate non-work experiences be only community or "giving back" type activities. If you have few traditional charity/volunteer experiences but show pronounced leadership in an activity that you're passionate about (especially if that activity is a little off the beaten path) then you'll be fine at most schools.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Thank you [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2006, 08:59
Thank you for your response.

It is very helpful. My problem is that I want to apply for 2007. WHich means I have 6 months to make up for a lack of community service. Im not sure how Im going to do that, and still finish applications. I am wondering if I should apply for 2008 instead in order to seem stronger but I will be 29 yrs old by the time I start.

Does age really matter for the top 5 schools?

sandi10017

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thank you [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2006, 12:47
sandi10017 wrote:
Thank you for your response.

It is very helpful. My problem is that I want to apply for 2007. WHich means I have 6 months to make up for a lack of community service. Im not sure how Im going to do that, and still finish applications. I am wondering if I should apply for 2008 instead in order to seem stronger but I will be 29 yrs old by the time I start.

Does age really matter for the top 5 schools?

sandi007,

Just signing up for a few community impact organizations won't at this late date help you very much. If you could find a community activity in which you (a) can have a clear leadership role, (b) have a genuine personal passion, and (c) have a major impact (a tall order, I know) then even though the schools may "see through" your recent conversion to volunteer work, they will applaud your impact and it can help your app. But if you can't do this it doesn't mean you need to wait for a year to apply.

You could just apply now and if you get dinged apply again next year. Age does matter but 29 is well within the middle typical MBA age range so you shouldn't worry to much about your advancing years.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter