Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are Gmat Prep Scores Representative? +Managing Stress

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Are Gmat Prep Scores Representative? +Managing Stress [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 02:22
Hi,

I'm giving my GMAT this Saturday and gave my first practice CAT (the first test on the GMAT prep software) today. My scores were Q 49 (83rd percentile) and V 47 (99th percentile) leading up to a combined score of 770.

However, I got 13 (!) questions wrong on the quant portion (thanks mostly to stress - I couldn't calculate at all) and 2 wrong on the verbal (which was relatively zero stress and I finished with 30 minutes to spare).

What I want to know is whether these questions as well as the scoring are representative of the real GMAT ( ie a reasonable correlation exists)?

I ask because (a) I am frankly incredulous that it is possible to score this well after getting 13 quant questions wrong; and (b) the verbal was very easy - I thought the OG 13th edition problems ( at least for SC) were much better. Am I missing something here?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Also any suggestions for handling stress and time management (the 2 minutes per question time limit for the quant section increases my stress exponentially and I couldn't answer the last quant question because my time ran out).

As I think more about it, my main issue was that if I couldn't see my way to a solution for a quant problem in the first 20-30 seconds, I panicked and my brain froze over. I also missed a lot of really easy questions because I made stupid calculating mistakes or didn't read the question properly. I think all of this relates back to stress.

How do I control it or at least bring it down to manageable proportions so that I can think clearly?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 543

Re: Are Gmat Prep Scores Representative? +Managing Stress [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 07:16
I would say 10 incorrect questions would give you a Q 49. There are many experimental questions on the actual GMAT ( don't bother figuring out which questions are experimental and which aren't) those questions don't add to your score.

V47 is amazing score!

GMAT prep is most representative of the real exam - provided you haven't seen any GMAT prep questions before on forums or in practice ( GMAT prep files).

You could search up some articles by stacey on MGMAT forums she covers this topic in great detail.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: Are Gmat Prep Scores Representative? +Managing Stress   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2013, 07:16