Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are GMAT scores changing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 07:07
There's a good and bad part to percentiles lowering for the same score...

But among guys who took the test in the last couple months, the percentiles appeared to be working in our favor a little bit.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 05:28
I gave my exam a day ago. Scored 740(50,39)

My score report says 50 as 92%ile. That is shocking. I thought it was supposed to be 94.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 05:31
bbharuka wrote:
I gave my exam a day ago. Scored 740(50,39)

My score report says 50 as 92%ile. That is shocking. I thought it was supposed to be 94.

Percentiles can fluctuate over time for the same score, and percentiles have dropped for the same score over the last 7 years or so. A 700 used to be 92-93%ile but now is the 90th.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 11:56
I just realized this nonsense on part of GMAC. I took my test two years ago and I was above the 80th percentile in both quant and verbal. I reordered a copy of my score and now I'm at 78% in quant. WTH is that!

If GMAT scores are valid for 5 years, why is GMAC changing the percentile of the scores? My point is, our scores represent a snapshot in time and just as our raw scores don't change, why should the percentiles change for the 5 years a score is valid? Someone's score should be snapshot in time of their raw and percentiles.

I'm planning to apply this year and if a school dings be because my quant is now below 80th percentile (some schools want > 80th percentile in Q and V), I wonder if I have a case to sue GMAC.

This is truly messed up!

BB, do you have any insight into the changing percentiles for older scores?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9390 [0], given: 3696

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 12:40
Expert's post
Well, GMAC recalculates percentiles every few years (usually every 18 months based on my experience), and yes, they go down. My 750 used to be 99th, and now it is 98th. It has to do with record keeping and how their system works. Technically, they should provide your score as a snapshot at that time instead of applying to the current scoring curve. E.g. if you were the fastest, you won a gold medal in Olympics, but if 4 years later someone broke your record, you are no longer the fastest but that does not mean they dispute you winning the Olympics.

It does hurt the most when admissions consultants recommend having an 80th percentile on your sections and having a 78th is not helpful from the optical perspective, at least. The Admissions Teams know that however, and they realize that you have taken your test a while ago.

Nothing that can be done from that perspective. The only part that should you make you feel safer, is that inflation of the overall score (e.g. 700, 750) is much slower than that of the individual sections. It seems people are much more likely to score high on the Q or V sections but still not quite on both of those.

Anyway... I will bring it up to the GMAC on my next call with them but I would not expect a fast resolution.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Are GMAT scores changing? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 18:26
bb wrote:
Well, GMAC recalculates percentiles every few years (usually every 18 months based on my experience), and yes, they go down. My 750 used to be 99th, and now it is 98th. It has to do with record keeping and how their system works. Technically, they should provide your score as a snapshot at that time instead of applying to the current scoring curve. E.g. if you were the fastest, you won a gold medal in Olympics, but if 4 years later someone broke your record, you are no longer the fastest but that does not mean they dispute you winning the Olympics.

It does hurt the most when admissions consultants recommend having an 80th percentile on your sections and having a 78th is not helpful from the optical perspective, at least. The Admissions Teams know that however, and they realize that you have taken your test a while ago.

Nothing that can be done from that perspective. The only part that should you make you feel safer, is that inflation of the overall score (e.g. 700, 750) is much slower than that of the individual sections. It seems people are much more likely to score high on the Q or V sections but still not quite on both of those.

Anyway... I will bring it up to the GMAC on my next call with them but I would not expect a fast resolution.

BB, thanks for your insights. I wholeheartedly agree with you that percentiles should not change for older scores. That is a nuisance not to mention hurts our chances. I am thinking of including a small blurb in my optional essay explaining this situation.

I'm surprised no one has taken GMAC to task over this. MBA admissions is such a stressful process as it is and then you have to deal with GMAC changing your percentiles.
Re: Are GMAT scores changing?   [#permalink] 12 Dec 2012, 18:26