Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Are MBAs from Top Schools So Different? [#permalink]
Interesting article nink.

It makes you wonder if the top MC/IB companies will ever change the schools they recruit from? I can't imagine any of today's top-5 schools all of a sudden dropping in rank, so how do the schools that are improving over time (like Yale for instance) break in?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
isa wrote:

It makes you wonder if the top MC/IB companies will ever change the schools they recruit from? I can't imagine any of today's top-5 schools all of a sudden dropping in rank, so how do the schools that are improving over time (like Yale for instance) break in?

I think to some extent it's a virtuous cycle (or vicious cycle depending on your point of view). Company X recruits more heavily at School Y, so Company X has a lot more School Y alumni, which influence it to recruit at School Y, etc.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
isa wrote:

I think to some extent it's a virtuous cycle (or vicious cycle depending on your point of view). Company X recruits more heavily at School Y, so Company X has a lot more School Y alumni, which influence it to recruit at School Y, etc.

I guess you can break the cycle if School Z manages to get an alumni really high up and uses his pull to bring more School Z into Company X.

Hate this XYZ stuff, let's just say Yale will never go up. JK. But I think a really good example is Columbia, they had a terrible 80's, scandles and school problem brought them down. They are climbing back up now through ED, yield protection, rolling admission, yada yada....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
I think the intent of the author was to break that cycle Jerz mentioned, although I think he unintentionally did a terrible job of doing that.

His main arguments can be summarized as such:
1) the education in all MBA schools are similar
2) therefore you can find qualified guys outside of the UE and Es.

I don't disagree with those statements at all, however I did he miss the mark here. If I'm a HR guy for a very desirable company (e.g. Goldman, Apple, etc.) I need a good reason to go recruiting off the beaten track. Say I plan to recruit 10 MBAs this year, and I already get 1000 applicants from the top 10 or 15 schools, what's the incentive for me to go looking harder? By saying "Hey, we're good too. We received the same education, we also have qualified people, come take a look!" isn't really going to help. The HR guy is probably going to think, if they are all about the same, skip the risk and recruit only at the premium schools. The risk to reward ratio is terrible using the author's logic. The HR guy is going to keep thinking "No one ever got fired for hiring a Harvard guy."

IMO, I think for the lower ranked schools to move up, they should actually seek to differentiate themselves, maybe by specialization. Instead of saying "We're the same as the M7 schools!" perhaps a strategy that says "We're not as good as the M7 schools, but in Finance (as an example), we're just as good as Wharton/Booth/Stern!" might be more effective.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
That guy is certainly well intentioned, and makes a somewhat valid point (though I'm not sure it is the point that he sets out to make), but he comes off sounding so bitter throughout that it wrecks any credibility that he might have.

Ultimately, he has to realize this:

If I'm an HR person with a limited amount of time and budget looking to get the best people possible to for my company, I have to seek out the places where I am likely to find the highest achievers that I can reasonably expect to come to my company if I extend them an offer. What I'm looking for is those sorts of people in high concentrations, to minimize the costs (time and money) of searching. Then, if there are really great people from other, lower concentration, places I expect them to find me and/or be brought to my attention through my network. In a world absent of costs it would be great if Goldman could do recruiting at every top 50 school, because every three years they might find a superstar at Minnesota. Then, of course, the guys at school 51 would be making posts like this cat from Tepper. Unfortunately, the cut was made before that. My suggestion is that if his friends really are superstars that they all go network their way into GS and make it a core school. I promise, if Goldman starts to find consistently high quality people (over a period of time) showing up on their radar from CMU they'll start showing up at the school to recruit.

As a small disclaimer, I don't hate CMU or think that it sucks.

Originally posted by dharmabum on 07 Apr 2009, 19:27.
Last edited by dharmabum on 07 Apr 2009, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot