Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are my dreams realistic?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Are my dreams realistic? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 10:17
Okay - I need help. Here is the quick story. I am 37 and I want to do my MBA. My first collegiate experience was in Engineering. My GPA was terrible (think 2.2 overall). I am capable, I just was not motivated at the time. I then worked for about 7 years in the food industry. When I started to get the grad school itch I took the GMAT, scored a 620 and applied to a couple of schools. I also went to RUtgers and did an undergradute business degree. My GPA there was a 3.6. I was turned down by my fist choice (NYU) but accepted to another school. I decided to put off grad school and try the career switch on my own. I am currently working as a Financial Advisor in NJ - but now the MBA itch is back again.

I have started studying again for the GMAT. I believe that I can raise my score to the high 600s.

My question is... Do I have a chance at getting into one of the top 10 schools if I can get my GMAT close to or above 700. Or should I lower my dreams due to my past transgressions?

Thanks for your input.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are my dreams realistic? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 11:48
Being 37 is going to be a signficant factor. As for the GPA, I think the 3.6 will be a great asset. Showing them that you wanted to do business, and when you set your mind to it, you earned your business UG degree with a good GPA. People that are starting b-school this fall have stated that there are certainly people over the age of 30 that are in their classes, but that also sounds like it's a small % of their class. Also, with any advice that you get in this area, keep in mind that we have no idea how you'll write your essays, or market yourself to the adcoms. This is a huge factor that, unless we read your essays will we have a better idea of what the adcoms might thing, and even then, we just don't know for sure. You might think about an Executive MBA or even part-time since you're in NJ. Is a transfer an option for the company that you're with now? If you were able to transfer your job into NYC and go to Stern's PT program (is it called Lagone?) or any other PT program that is in NYC, that could be a great option for you.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Are my dreams realistic? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 18:12
Here is the thing about part time. My company only pays $7500 per year which is only a drop in the bucket for Stern. That covers less than 2 classes per year. I am torn between drawing it out over three years and still having a significant amout of debt or just taking the full time plunge. The exec MBA is not even a consideration since my job would not be flexible on the days needed for class.

Also - I did not mention in the first post that I am married and I have to consider my wife's career. She may or may not be willing to pack up and move to another area. I have breached the topic but the final decision will be determined by her ability to get a job where I get admitted. And at this point long distance is not an option.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As for now - I will be studying for the GMAT trying to get that 700. Any recommendations on study tools would be greatly appreciated. Up to this point I have just been using the books from Kaplan, Princeton, etc.

Thanks...
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Are my dreams realistic? [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2008, 19:02
As for study materials.

Everythying Official Guide goes without saying. The Orange book (comprehensive), the purple book (verbal) and the green book (quant)

Verbal:
1) Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide (MGMAT SC Guide)
2) Powerscore CR Bible (GMAT Version, LSAT version if you need even more)

Quant:
1) Manhattan GMAT math books. Manhattan publishes books such as Number Properties, and others. I can't remember more offthe top of my head. Also, when you buy one of their books for $26, you get 6 free CATs and they're great CATs.
2) Paul Dawkins Downloads. These are essentially eBooks written by Paul Dawkins, math professor at Lamar University in Teaxs. They are amazing (in my opinion). I like diffential equations and Algebra I.
3) Any post by username: walker. He's a math genius. There are others on here, but he stands out in my mind. He's also very, very friendly and helpful. If you have a question, send him a PM and he'll write you back.
4) Last, but certainly not least, the GMATClub Challenges. You can get them for free. Check out the pricing page to see what the criteria is that you need to hit in order to get them for free. It's about contribution to the club that you may or may not have time to do.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Are my dreams realistic?   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2008, 19:02