Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 4

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 10:05
Hi Christine,

I used them – and IMHO, they are very good for verbal: the level and ‘feeling’ of questions were very similar to what I got on real GMAT. Perhaps, you will get some repeats, but not many. Math is very easy there, so it can be used only for ‘building stamina’-purpose. The score results from that tests are also not quite real - I found them to be very optimistic.

Good luck!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2370

Kudos [?]: 9894 [1] , given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Also see this discussion: has-anybody-practiced-retired-gmat-paper-tests-from-mba-com-45891.html

I think the value is that these are real GMAT questions, but the weakness is that there only a few hard questions. I have a set as well and did not find much different from the Official Guide.

May be a better investment to get the Verbal OG or Math OG in addition to the OG 12.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2370

Kudos [?]: 9894 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 11:20
Expert's post
christinee wrote:
Thanks greenoak and bb!! I think I'll try a set.

Please let us know what you think!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 11:59
I thought the paper exam questions were some of the old questions in the OGs? No?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 427 [1] , given: 56

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2009, 22:39
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

I attempted a GMAT Paper test 14 yesterday night. Here are my observations:

Quant and Verbal divided into three sections each, with different time duration allocated:

Sec 1 (CR) 16 questions - 25 mins
Sec 2 (PS) 16 questions - 25 mins
Sec 3 (RC) 23 questions - 30 mins
Sec 4 (DS) 20 questions - 25 mins
Sec 5 (SC) 22 questions - 25 mins
Sec 6 (PS) 16 questions - 25 mins

What I noticed is that:
1. The paper test starts with easier questions and level of difficulty increases as you reach the end (This is applicable to each section separately) .

2. For PS, there were two sections (with 16 questions in each). One was little difficult as compared to the other, with focusing more on word problems.

3. Quant was easy as compared to CAT tests (except for the last few questions in each section). Verbal was comparatively similar to CAT tests.
Note: My observations here can be flawed, because I'm quite good at Quant, but not very good at verbal. So its possible that in CAT I would have never came across the toughest verbal questions.

4. Negative marking of 0.25 points for each incorrectly attempted question. For each correct one, you get 1 point. No -ve or +ve marking for un-attempted question.

5. It seems, paper format stresses more on Time, rather then difficulty (As in verbal we have 80 mins for 61 questions and Quant 75 mins for 52 questions)

6. Although answer key has been provided, but explanation for answers is not available :( .

7. Few questions overlapping with OG11, though number of overlapping questions is very less.

Overall a good practice, specially for timing each section. I'm planning to practice on other test papers as well.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2012, 21:55
Lot of questions are repeat but I think the paper GMAT grading is bit tougher... I feel!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 75

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 20:56
Hi Experts,

Can anyone advice on relevance of paper test?
I am planning to take them to improve my timing and stamina before the CATs.

Will this help?

Regards

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 80

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD? [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
Well, doing official questions is never bad for you. If somebody buys you the paper tests as a gift, thank them, and do all of the questions. They can't hurt.

On the other hand, the paper tests are from the early-to-mid 1990s, so you're looking at some pretty old questions here. They're still useful, since the main quant and verbal question types haven't changed all that much since the 1990s, but these questions aren't necessarily as fresh as, say, the GMATPrep Question Pack.

Each paper test contains roughly 110 questions, and just over half of those questions are verbal. Since the paper tests aren't adaptive, the questions give you a broad range of difficulty levels; if you're a relatively advanced GMAT student, plenty of the questions will seem painfully easy to you, especially on the quant side. A relatively small proportion of the questions are tougher, so if you're already in the 650+ range, you'll be challenged by a minority of the questions.

The biggest issue is that plenty of the GMAT Paper Test questions appear in other resources (various editions of the GMAT Official Guide, the official GMAT quant/verbal supplements, GMAT Focus, the GMATPrep tests, and the old PowerPrep tests). How many questions overlap, exactly? I'm not certain, since a lot of the questions appeared in really old OG editions or the obsolete PowerPrep tests, and my memory of those is getting foggy as time goes by. But my guesstimate is that 40-50% of the questions appear in another resource. You won't recognize nearly that many, though--unless, of course, you're a connoisseur of obsolete OGs and practice tests. The overlap with the newest editions of the GMATPrep, OG, and quant/verbal supplements is probably in the 15-25% range if I had to guess.

So are they worth it? I guess it depends on the size of your wallet and the size of your appetite for new questions. A set of three tests costs $29.99 on GMAC's website, so you're paying about $10 per test. That's not insanely expensive, but it's not necessarily cheap, considering that relatively few of the questions are both A) challenging, and B) don't appear elsewhere.

If you have the money and the time to do them, go for it. But they're not a great substitute for the Official Guide or the quant/verbal supplements or the GMATPrep Question Pack.

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Re: ARE THE GMAT PAPER TESTS ANY GOOD?   [#permalink] 09 Feb 2013, 13:56