Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are there any Probability Distribution Questions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Are there any Probability Distribution Questions? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2003, 10:39
I am very much interested whether there are Probability Distribution Questions on GMAT. If yes what types they are: Hypergeometric Probability Distribution; Binomial Probability Distribution; Poisson Probability Distribution or other.

For people who canтАЩt remember exactly which type what kind of questions include, here you are some ideas:

A Hypergeometric Probability Distribution Problem:
An urn contains fifteen balls, five red and ten green. What is the probability of obtaining exactly two red and three green balls in drawing five balls without replacement?

A Binomial Probability Distribution Problem:
A coin is tossed five times. (This is the same as a sample size of five). What is the probability of obtaining exactly two heads in the five tosses?

A Poisson Probability Distribution Problem:
In manufacturing the Que model car, a study determined that on average there are three defects per car. What is the probability of buying a Que with less than three defects?

If somebody of you has encountered such problems, please let us know. Probably, it will be useful to tell us also your Math score or at least the Overall.
Thanks all of you.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Are there any Probability Distribution Questions? [#permalink] New post 11 May 2003, 12:28
Daniel_MBA wrote:
I am very much interested whether there are Probability Distribution Questions on GMAT. If yes what types they are: Hypergeometric Probability Distribution; Binomial Probability Distribution; Poisson Probability Distribution or other.

For people who can’t remember exactly which type what kind of questions include, here you are some ideas:

An urn contains fifteen balls, five red and ten green. What is the probability of obtaining exactly two red and three green balls in drawing five balls without replacement?

A coin is tossed five times. (This is the same as a sample size of five). What is the probability of obtaining exactly two heads in the five tosses?

In manufacturing the Que model car, a study determined that on average there are three defects per car. What is the probability of buying a Que with less than three defects?

If somebody of you has encountered such problems, please let us know. Probably, it will be useful to tell us also your Math score or at least the Overall.
Thanks all of you.

One Hypergeometric Probability Distribution Problem encountered. Q50.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2171

Kudos [?]: 7697 [0], given: 3628

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Are there any Probability Distribution Questions? [#permalink] New post 12 May 2003, 14:45
Expert's post
Daniel_MBA wrote:

For people who canтАЩt remember exactly which type what kind of questions include, here you are some ideas:

Thanks all of you.

I am sure Gravedigger will be glad to share his thoughts on this :D

I have met only this kind:
#12 or 13; I missed it and the problems got easier. I got 49 eventually.
Re: Are there any Probability Distribution Questions?   [#permalink] 12 May 2003, 14:45