Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Are x and y both positive? (1) 2x-2y=1 (2) x/y>1

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 33

Are x and y both positive? (1) 2x-2y=1 (2) x/y>1 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 08:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (02:05) correct 41% (01:11) wrong based on 237 sessions
Are x and y both positive?

(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 28 Apr 2012, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:47
Opt- A)
2x-2y = 1
x-y = 0.5
let x= 5 , -5
y= 4.5 , -4.5

5-4.5 = 0.5 = +ve
-5-(-4.5)=-0.5 = -ve

So we can't tell with option A) -

Opt - B)
x/y > 1
+ve/+ve > 1 -
-ve/-ve > 1
So we can't tell with this option also independently.

Let us combine both,
Since x/y > 1, x>y when both x&y are +ve.
if x= -7 & y= -6.5 = - 0.5 which is -ve

So we can't tell with the help of A & B also..
Both A& B are bot sufficient to find the answer
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3259

Kudos [?]: 22575 [4] , given: 2631

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 13:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
2x-2y=1 --> x=y+\frac{1}{2}
\frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x --> \frac{1}{y}>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x is positive too. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 03:40
I'm still not clear why X and Y has to be positive when X/Y > 1. Can you please explain the way you combined taking both X and Y to be positive and also X and Y as negative. Since in either case X/Y will be > 1.

Thanks
-H
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22575 [5] , given: 2631

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 11 May 2010, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
harikattamudi wrote:
I'm still not clear why X and Y has to be positive when X/Y > 1. Can you please explain the way you combined taking both X and Y to be positive and also X and Y as negative. Since in either case X/Y will be > 1.

Thanks
-H

From (2) \frac{x}{y}>1, we can only deduce that x and y have the same sigh (either both positive or both negative).

When we consider two statement together:

From (1): 2x-2y=1 --> x=y+\frac{1}{2}

From (2): \frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x}{y}-1>0 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x from (1) --> \frac{y+\frac{1}{2}-y}{y}>0--> \frac{1}{2y}>0 (we can drop 2 as it won't affect anything here and write as I wrote \frac{1}{y}>0, but basically it's the same) --> \frac{1}{2y}>0 means y is positive, and from (2) we know that if y is positive x must also be positive.

OR: as y is positive and as from (1) x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x=positive+\frac{1}{2}=positive, hence x is positive too.

Hope it helps.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Algebra DS. [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

Another question and here is my answer. Can someone tell why its not correct?

1) 2x-2y =1
2) x/y>1

I have gone for E, neither is sufficient. But its an incorrect answer and the correct answer is C.

My explanation for E

Question is indirectly asking whether x and y are both greater than zero?

Cosidering choice 1.

Let say x=1 and y=1/2 --> Then yes both x and y are +ve. But if x=-1/2 and y=-1 then both are negative. So this answer choice is insufficient.

Consdering answer choice 2

x > y

if x=2 , y=1 --> Both are positive.

if x=-2 and y=-3 then both at negative. Therefore, this answer choice is insufficient.

Cosidering both options:

x>y and 2x-2y=1 we can still have both positive and negative answers and therefore I have gone for E.

Can someone explain where I have gone wrong and what's the best way and numbers to pick for these types of questions?

Thanks again for all your valuable help.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 09:07
I am still struggling to understand how come both together are sufficient? What is common in both the answer choices that makes c a correct choice?

:?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22575 [1] , given: 2631

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gsaxena26 wrote:
I am still struggling to understand how come both together are sufficient? What is common in both the answer choices that makes c a correct choice?

:?

Here is the logic for C:

When we consider two statement together:

From (1): 2x-2y=1 --> x=y+\frac{1}{2}

From (2): \frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x}{y}-1>0 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x from (1) --> \frac{y+\frac{1}{2}-y}{y}>0--> \frac{1}{2y}>0 (we can drop 2 as it won't affect anything here and write as I wrote \frac{1}{y}>0, but basically it's the same) --> \frac{1}{2y}>0 means y is positive, and from (2) we know that if y is positive x must also be positive.

OR: as y is positive and as from (1) x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x=positive+\frac{1}{2}=positive, hence x is positive too.

Does it make sense now?

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2010, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Bunuel. I got it why the answer is C and here is my explanation:

Considering choice 1.

Let say x=1 and y=1/2 --> Then yes both x and y are +ve. But if x=-1/2 and y=-1 then both are negative. So this answer choice is insufficient.

Considering choice 2.

x/y>1

But x can be both +ve and negative. But if x>y then answer choice will be true as it can only be positive when x >y. Is my understanding correct?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2010, 10:41
gsaxena26 wrote:
x/y>1

But x can be both +ve and negative. But if x>y then answer choice will be true as it can only be positive when x >y. Is my understanding correct?

Your reasoning is almost correct.
Statement II doesn't say x>y, it only says x/y>1... Be careful there is a difference, this is the mistake you made initially

Taking this statement alone, it means x and y are both same sign (either both + or both -) and |x|>|y|. Thus, it is insufficient and you need to combine it with Statement I.

From statement I, you know x=y+1/2, hence x>y. If you know x>y and also |x|>|y| this means both are positive.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 20:03
Here is my confusion.
Here is how I approached the question
1. 2x-2y=1
so x-y=.5

now x=1, y=.5
or x=1/4, y=-1/4
so can't tell

2. x/y>1
x>y so again can't tell.

Now if we combine both
still the options x=1, x=.5 is true
and so is the option x=1/4, y=-1/4 true

So can't tell hence E. I know this is not the correct answer but what am I missing?
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22575 [5] , given: 2631

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sam2010 wrote:
Here is my confusion.
Here is how I approached the question
1. 2x-2y=1
so x-y=.5

now x=1, y=.5
or x=1/4, y=-1/4
so can't tell

2. x/y>1
x>y so again can't tell.

Now if we combine both
still the options x=1, x=.5 is true
and so is the option x=1/4, y=-1/4 true

So can't tell hence E. I know this is not the correct answer but what am I missing?

Problem with your solution is that the red part is not correct.

\frac{x}{y}>1 does not mean that x>y. If both x and y are positive, then x>y, BUT if both are negative, then x<y.

From (2) \frac{x}{y}>1, we can only deduce that x and y have the same sigh (either both positive or both negative).

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2010, 03:45
got it. Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 11:35
Excellent explanation Bunuel. Its damn clear to me now.
Many thanks.
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 13:15
Bunuel,

From the 1/y>0 case what happens when y=0?, how goes GMAT treat that case? I notice that the question is asking if they are positive, not nonnegative, this case would have accounted for 0?
Thanks
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

(1) 2x-2y=1. Well this one is clearly insufficient. You can do it with number plugging OR consider the following: x and y both positive means that point (x,y) is in the I quadrant. 2x-2y=1 --> y=x-1/2, we know it's an equation of a line and basically question asks whether this line (all (x,y) points of this line) is only in I quadrant. It's just not possible. Not sufficient.

(2) x/y>1 --> x and y have the same sign. But we don't know whether they are both positive or both negative. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Again it can be done with different approaches. You should just find the one which is the less time-consuming and comfortable for you personally.

One of the approaches:
\frac{x}{y}>1 --> \frac{x-y}{y}>0 --> substitute x --> \frac{1}{y}>0 --> y is positive, and as x=y+\frac{1}{2}, x is positive too. Sufficient.

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22575 [0], given: 2631

Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 14:11
Expert's post
mainhoon wrote:
Bunuel,

From the 1/y>0 case what happens when y=0?, how goes GMAT treat that case? I notice that the question is asking if they are positive, not nonnegative, this case would have accounted for 0?
Thanks
Bunuel wrote:
(1) 2x-2y=1
(2) x/y>1

One of the approaches:

Posted from my mobile device Image

\frac{x}{y}>1 means that y\neq{0} (\frac{1}{y} means y>0). Also as division by zero is undefined then in cases when denominator could be zero GMAT would most likely state that denominator does not not equal to zero.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 10:04
Bunuel...great explanation..
I tht of doing it geometrically but missed something and came to E.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 00:56
Statement 1: Apparently not sufficient.
Statement 2: x,y either both +ve or both negative. Not sufficient.

Using 2:

\frac{x}{y} > 1 , \frac{(x-y)}{y} > 0

=> x>y and y> 0 OR y<0 and y<x

using 1; we get x-y = 1/2>0 => x>y

Hence y>0 using 2

Since x>y and y>0 => x>y>0 Hence both positive.

Hence C.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 10:17
LM wrote:
Please explain....

(1) x-y = 1/2
so 1/4 - (-1/4) = 1/2 [y could be -ve]
again, 1 - 1/2 = 1/2 [y could be +ve]
Insufficient.
(2) This option refers both x and y are -ves or +ves. insufficient.

For 1+2:
x/y>1 and in option 1 x is positive so y is also positive.

Ans. C

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: DS1 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 03:21
a+b

x,y can be either + or -. checking for - values where |x| > |y|.
thus x,y both positive.

C it is.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: DS1   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2011, 03:21