Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 12:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:00) correct 28% (01:45) wrong based on 58 sessions
Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower
ontests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity. The researcher concluded
from this experiment that the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.
The researcher's conclusion depends onwhich of the following assumptions?
(Al High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity
does.
(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effectson bodysystems.
(e) People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
(D) Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease.
{El Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.

The official answer is D, my answer is B.
Here is my reasoning: the conclusion mentioned physical disease while it was not mentioned in the entire paragraph, therefore the assumption we are looking for must connect the existing evidence to physical disease. B says mental illness and physical illness are similar in effecting bodysystems,w which implies their correlation withImmune system is similar.
But D, whether or not mental llness causes immune system activity is irrelavant.

please advise!
thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: Question OG Verbal 2 CR Q7 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 15:49
+1 D

In the first sentence of the argument, the author shows a correlation between inmune-system activity and mental health. But then, in the conclusion indicates that there is a CAUSAL relation between those elements. (Notice the word "protects"). In other words, inmune-system activity is the cause, and mental health is the effect. It's clear that the author is assuming that there is a causal relationship in the described order.

It seems that you don't have clear some concepts of CR. Have you tried this book: CR Powerscore Bible?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-22-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Question OG Verbal 2 CR Q7 [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 18:55
No I haven 't, I just finished the manhattan GMAT verbal, thanks a lot for recommending.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: rice univ, boston univ, unc charlotte, manchester b school.
WE 1: advertizing
WE 2: team management
WE 3: project management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [5] , given: 0

Re: Question OG Verbal 2 CR Q7 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2012, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
can any expert post a comprehensive soln of this cr. thanx in advance.
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 06:07
Can someone provide a detailed explanation!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Re: Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 09:36
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation!

Argument:
Researcher discovery from experiment: people with low levels of immune-system activity tend to score much lower on tests of mental health than do people with normal or high immune-system activity.
Researcher conclusion: the immune system protects against mental illness as well as against physical disease.

Pre thinking:
Researcher observation is that low levels of immune-system activity tend to have lower score on mental health.
He made the conclusion that immune system protect against mental illness.
We can make another conclusion that lower score on mental health (i.e. mental) illness causes lower immune system activity. So an underlying assumption here is that mental illness does not cause low immune system activity.

Analysis of answer Choices:
(A) High immune-system activity protects against mental illness better than normal immune-system activity does.
INCORRECT: the argument is not about high and normal immune system. Nothing about normal immune system is provided.

(B) Mental illness is similar to physical disease in its effects on body systems.
INCORRECT: The argument is focussed on mental illness and immune system and conclusion has nothing to do with body systems in general.

(C) People with high immune-system activity cannot develop mental illness.
INCORRECT: Conclusion says that immune system protects against mental illness like it does again physical illness. Doesn’t mean that people with high immune system can’t develop mental or physical illness.

(D) Mental illness does not cause people's immune-system activity to decrease.
CORRECT: Look at the pre thinking. If this is false then we will get the conclusion that lower score on mental health (i.e. mental illness) causes lower immune system activity. So for researchers conclusion to hold this must be true and be the assumption.

(E)Psychological treatment of mental illness is not as effective as is medical treatment.
INCORRECT: This doesn’t tell if immune system is effective for preventing mental illness or not.

The key here was that researcher could have made multiple conclusion from his experiment.Why he reached at one conclusion helped me in determining the underlying assumption.
Hope this helps.

The Kudo please :)

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 21:44
I was able to arrive at the answer by POE eliminating answer choice based that are irrelevant and out of scope but wasn't convinced with the explanation...

The argument jumps from mental health to mental illness... still confused lol

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 3

Re: Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of [#permalink] New post 14 May 2013, 22:36
fozzzy wrote:
I was able to arrive at the answer by POE eliminating answer choice based that are irrelevant and out of scope but wasn't convinced with the explanation...

The argument jumps from mental health to mental illness... still confused lol

Mental health and mental illness can be taken as same thing. I mean a lower mental health will mean some mental illness.
So we can consider lower score on mental health = mental illness.
However this is not the main point of the argument.

Just think only about the following statement:
Researcher observation is that low levels of immune-system activity tend to have lower score on mental health.

What conclusion will you make out of it?

I will make one of the following two conclusions:
1. EITHER – Lower immune system causes mental illness which means that immune system protect against mental illness.
2. OR - Mental illness causes lower immune system.

Now author chooses 1st as his conclusion and ignores the second .So we will have to find a way to show that second conclusion will not hold and that will be our assumption.
This is what choice D do and hence the correct answer.

Hope it is clear now.

The Kudo please :)

Re: Aresearcher discovered that people who have low levels of   [#permalink] 14 May 2013, 22:36