Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 19:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Argument Analysis: What should be 3rd paragraph about?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Argument Analysis: What should be 3rd paragraph about? [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 18:39
I keep receiving low scores, from Princeton Review grader service, for my argument analysis. I dont really care much about essays, but I at least want to get 4.0. So, after reading their suggestions, I realized I need to come up with another paragraph.
Let me explain you how I organize my analysis of an argument essay on an example.

The following appeared as part of an annual report sent to stockholders by Olympic Foods, a processor of frozen foods:
“Over time, the costs of processing go down because as organizations learn how to do things better, they become more efficient. In color film processing, for example, the cost of a 3-by-5-inch print fell from 50 cents for five-day service in 1970 to 20 cents for one-day service in 1984. The same principle applies to the processing of food. And since Olympic Foods will soon celebrate its 25th birthday, we can expect that our long experience will enable us to minimize costs and thus maximize profits.”
Discuss how well reasoned . . . etc.

I first the assumptions (there are always two!) and the conclusion.
A1. Argument assumes that color film processing and processing of food shares same business principals.
A2. Argument assumes that Olympic Food was in the business for the past 25 years (it may have been founded but did not operate say until 5 years ago).
C: Longer in the business; lower costs.

Than I write an introduction restating conclusion and explaining how it relies on these assumptions.
Paragraph1 : I restate the first assumption and discredit it. One example here.
Paragraph 2 : I restate the second assumption and discredit it. One example here.
Conclusion standard conclusion. I also add one sentence like "the conclusion would have been stronger if such such evidences provided for the assumptions identified earlier bla bla".

What am I missing? :)
Argument Analysis: What should be 3rd paragraph about?   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2010, 18:39