Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aringo Admissions Chances Calculator

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE: Operations (Retail Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 3

Aringo Admissions Chances Calculator [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 18:44
Okay. I'm having a bit of trouble with this.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but the points difference between "Medium" and "Strong" essays, recommendations, and resume/application forms adds up to a whopping 8.5 points, which on the Aringo scale is the difference between being competitive at, say, a Booth or Kellogg and being competitive at Carnegie-Mellon, IESE, and Toronto.

Now - I believe that Aringo is one of the best in the business, and I have no doubt that their knowledge of Admissions processes is very reliable and thorough. HOWEVER - I do not believe that a good candidate and decent writer (without external help) will be so far removed from the top as the exact same candidate with the Aringo help.

My personal opinion is that GMAT, GPA, community service, promotions in the office etc. have a much greater impact than 3 points that are awarded for a hypothetical candidate with SIX promotions. I mean - in a lot of the corporate hierarchies that I'm familiar with, six promotions takes you from entry level to an office with a window... surely that's worth more than the difference between "Medium" essays and Aringo essays, right?

Anyway - this is just my personal opinion (and I may be totally unjustified in taking my stance). The point of this is to ask my fellow clubbers - what do you think?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 305 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: Aringo Admissions Chances Calculator [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 19:28
I posted here:http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-aringo-awesome-application-self-assessment-tool-113208-80.html#p1187081 and I had two main issues with it:

1) It seemed like a "fear tool" to get people to use Aringo so they could rate their Essays/recs/etc as "Strong" thus having a better "chance" at admissions.

2) With the exception of maybe Sloan, no school assigns "point values" to all these different parts of the application. It's holistic and the fact is, an application component such as the GMAT for example, is more important for some applicants (Indian IT, white finance guy) than others (former NFL player). In other words, Adcoms evaluate the forest, not the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Re: Aringo Admissions Chances Calculator   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2013, 19:28