Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2013, 05:36
I hear you. GMAT aint easy, especially if you're out of practice. Good luck to you!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2013, 11:36
Get some help and try the GMAT one more time. 640 is on the low side for all the top schools and it IS possible to improve your score. Give yourself a break and then do it again. There may have been people who got accepted with less but its pretty rare and they sure didn't do it without help (read Consultant). In my opinion, if you're not ready to go the route of the Consultant, which is costly, then your GMAT score had better be good enough to get you through the first round of acceptances. Being wait-listed is a polite way of saying "No".
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 07:21
OK. I'm convinced about doing the GMAT one more time and trying to improve my Quant score. I appreciate everyone's responses and advice in this forum.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2013, 09:53
This is the big month for Round Oners! Let's hope for acceptances, no doubt there will be dings, but You've Been Wait Listed? Spare me, please.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2013, 11:03
I've only ever met one person who got in, to MIT, after being wait-listed. But he knew someone who taught there and I think he got them to put in a good word for him. All's fair, right?
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 07:21
All's fair, for sure, and knowing someone on staff at the school is a very lucky break but personally I don't know of anyone who has gotten in to a top school after being wait-listed, although I guess it happens. The trouble is, you have to wait (duh), sometimes for too long since you will have had to reply to another school in the meantime. Basically you have to take it as a 'no' as you can't really act on it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 23:54
Being on the waitlist is very frustrating and it happens a lot. But there isn't much you can do about it except .... wait. That's why you should have a backup school on your list, one that isn't necessarily in the top 5 but that you'd be happy to go to and have a reasonable chance of getting accepted to. If you're lucky, and you do get accepted to one of your first choices at the last minute, I guess you have to decide whether to forfeit your deposit at another school.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2014, 03:24
How does that work, anyway? Do you forfeit your deposit if you suddenly get accepted to a better school? Somehow I don't think so but I'd like to know. Most real contenders would probably be wait-listed at one or two schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2014, 04:00
As far I know you have time to make a deposit to a school before you start. Enough time to hear about whether you got accepted in Round 2 or even Round 3. So don't rush to pay another school if you are wait listed at one that you prefer to go to.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 23:42
OK so I found out there ARE a few things you can do if you are wait-listed and you should check out what they are online while you're waiting. It doesn't sound like much but maybe they can help - updating your resume if you get a new promotion, some breakthrough with your volunteer work, etc. Its good to know in case there are last minute changes that might work to your advantage with the adcoms.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2014, 07:45
Good to know. Also about not having to forfeit deposit money. Thnx for the tips.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 03:49
I just did another GMAT and managed to bring my score up to 680! This puts me in the 'average' category for most schools. Not the 700 I was really hoping for but still, an improvement, which I hope the adcoms will appreciate. I worked hard on trying to better my Quant score and brought it up to 40 so I'm happy. I don't think I can do better than that and I don't want to have to do another GMAT ever again.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 02:06
Congrats! and good luck with your Round 2 apps. I hope you've seen the last of a GMAT exam.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2014, 11:04
Ditto, bro. Good work and good luck with all your choices!
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 06:57
What's the story with the interviews? I'm not at all clear on who gets asked and why, and if I should be concerned that I haven't been invited for an interview after my Round 2 application? Do all schools conduct interviews? .
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 07:37
As far as I know, all schools conduct interviews, some with video nowadays as you probably know. But they can't interview everyone so I wouldn't panic about not being asked just yet (this timing also depends on the individual school acceptance timetable). I know people who were not interviewed and got accepted and also people who were interviewed and did not get accepted. I think the adcoms use the interview when they need to' round out' their impression of an applicant, or even if they need to check an applicants verbal skills. There might be some subtle detail or characteristic missing from the application that they feel they can hone in on in an interview. Make sense?
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2014, 04:02
Yes, thanks, that makes sense. But I still don't know whether I should want an interview or not. I mean, should I be hoping for a straight acceptance, without an interview, or should I be hoping for an interview?
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2014, 12:01
Don't sit around waiting for an invitation to an interview. Either it will come, or it won't, you can't second guess the adcoms. One thing is for sure - if it does come around, get prepared and don't sweat it. Treat it as an opportunity.
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2014, 12:01