Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 01:09
I would assume that the successful applicants to HBS with an average or low GMAT had a lot of help from an admission consultant. And if you're going with that option, you still need the raw material to put together a fantastic application i.e. exceptional work experience. With today's sheer number of applicants, it's not as likely as it was five or more years ago.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 23:05
Not as easy as it was 5 years ago? That's an understatement. HBS had nearly 10,000 applicants last year! All the good schools are swamped with applicants - that's the reality, so it's harder than ever to get in but... we all keep trying. No mercy in this game.
Current Student
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2013, 03:42
I think its possible to get in with a 580, but highly improbable. I would take the GMAT another time, and I'd recommend Manhattan GMAT guides as a source of information.

But like others have said, there are a lot of excellent programs out there, and maybe some more research into them would be beneficial/
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 06:51
I wouldn't apply to HBS with a 580 GMAT and I don't know who would. One has ample opportunity to improve the GMAT score and bring it up to at least a 650, 670 - a little more with in the realm of possibility.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2013, 16:49
I approached two of my recommenders a while ago to ask them if they would be willing to provide a letter for my application and they replied positively but didn't give me much of an idea of what they want or need from me. Some people say they were asked to write an outline of a letter with details they could use. Others have said you should just provide them with a resume. Any suggestions for the best way to go about getting the most from a recommender, or do they already know what to do?
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 06:15
Expert's post
merimark9 wrote:
I approached two of my recommenders a while ago to ask them if they would be willing to provide a letter for my application and they replied positively but didn't give me much of an idea of what they want or need from me. Some people say they were asked to write an outline of a letter with details they could use. Others have said you should just provide them with a resume. Any suggestions for the best way to go about getting the most from a recommender, or do they already know what to do?

You can provide them with a 1-2 page document that briefly outlines your achievements and the stories behind them. Something like the " time when I did ....XYZ" and a short story following it.

Eventually your recommenders will use the format asked by the b-school: these could be a set of 5-7 questions, or a free flowing recommendation. These pointers will help in both cases.

Don't assume that your recommenders know what to do - I am sure you will not want to take that chance.

And do get on this process well before submission date- you don't want to be in a lurch until the end, wondering whether your recommenders will do do the needful.

Namita.

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 19:46
Thanks, Namita. I appreciate your response and take it to mean I should provide my recommenders with details about my role in projects and/or undertakings I've been involved in and the success that ensued, personal or collaborative - give them some background and information that they can tie in to what I hope they will say about my being top MBA material. Other than what they already know.
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 18

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2013, 23:11
Expert's post
merimark9 wrote:

You got that bang on!

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 09:26
I just want to wish everyone who's applying to Harvard good luck. Let's hear some of those amazing acceptance stories when the time comes - they give us all hope.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 12:50
Ditto. Let the games begin!
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 04:43
Whew! I got to my recommenders with additional information just in time and they have done their job. This was the last step for me so I'm ready to go. Appreciate the help from Namita in this forum.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2013, 05:50
Your applications are in but it's not over. With any luck you'll get an interview and you have to do some real preparation for that. It's an important part of the app process so try to be ready. Good luck to us all.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 14:40
I hear that Kellogg is doing a video interview, or will do one if you prefer (and that next year it will be mandatory). I am applying to Kellogg in Round 2. I feel like I have to search out someone who will have gone through this before I make up my mind, though I don't see that it would be a problem. It sounds like it would be the same as if it were in person.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 06:24
It might be easier because you would be at home or in an environment that's comfortable for you. Personally I don't know anyone who's done a video interview yet but we'll probably be hearing about it online very soon.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 09:47
I see there are some examples on YouTube and a link to some hilarious ones, though I don't believe they really got sent in.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 06:58
Whoa. I lost my post. I was saying that I won't be applying to Harvard with my GMAT of 640 because I don't think I can improve on my 40 Quant score. I think I have a great application, solid resume, good extracurricular activity and hopefully excellent recommendations but I'm feeling sub-par on the GMAT. I'm white, female and 27 years old. I am applying to Sloan and Wharton, and others, and will hope for the best but I have my doubts. I know I'm smart and what my strengths are and what I want to achieve with an MBA - I just don't think I'm OUTSTANDING enough. I must say, these posts are confusing in that respect.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 10:59
A GMAT of 640 is on the low side for the top schools. I would seriously consider getting a math tutor who specializes in GMAT preparation and trying one more time because, unfortunately, this will almost certainly hold you back. We all know how difficult it is and how much time has to go toward working to overcome a mental block in certain Quant categories. It can be done, as many determined people will tell you. You want to be close to 700 but even a 670 will improve your chances.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 12:44
I've done two GMATS with little improvement. It's such a big deal. I'm worried that even if I can improve my Quant score something else will drop off. I might take your advice and thanks for it. I'm applying for 2015 so I still have time.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 12:26
I have to agree with heavyduty above. Personally I don't know anyone who's gotten in to HBS or any of the other top five with a 640 GMAT. If you want them to look at you, you have to be close to a 700. Not to be discouraging but that's the truth. Otherwise you should start thinking about other schools.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 05:58
I can't face doing the GMAT again. I have a lot of faith in the rest of my app so I'm going to go ahead with my wish list - but maybe not Harvard.
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2013, 05:58