Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 06:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 23:47
Guys,

My (third) GMAT is 580. My dream is, and has always been, HBS. I have been spending the past two years working on the GMAT, bringing it to where it (unfortunately) is. What would it take to get in? I have an undergrad degree from a top Belgian university with distinction, and I come from a large (200+ people) family business (industrial lighting) where I am now VP of Biz Dev.

First, as to HBS themselves, they do not say or declare in any way whether 580 could be relevant. Second, after two years of dealing with this, I just saw on Aringo.com site that they are claiming they put a client with 580 at Harvard. I emailed them. Is this bullshit? One-time lucky case? The lowest-GMAT person I heard of (friend of friend of friends) got into HBS with 660, but this 580 thing gave me some hope (after I kind of already gave up about HBS), if (?) it is no bullshit.

Am I hallucinating? Or – give me some hope… heard of other such cases?

Brussels to Boston

Last edited by BrusselsToBoston on 22 Feb 2011, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 6

Re: Aringo client with 580 at HBS – bullshit? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 13:26
This post received
KUDOS
Have you tried any of GMAT Prep courses? I took a Kaplan course in London split over five weekends, and found it incredibly useful.

Kaplan have courses in Paris, Rotterdam and Frankfurt, all easy to get to from Brussels.

However I would strongly recommend that you take a course that is split over several weekends, instead of any 'intensive' courses - this gives you time to do all of your 'homework' and study outside of class - by investing this time you get the most benefit from the course.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1529 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 00:38
This post received
KUDOS
BrusselsToBoston -

1) I was born in belgium (near brussels no less!)
2) HBS is a good school but there are many other great schools - you are status blind right now. It's your dream school because its HBS not because it offers anything of particular value to you
3) #2 leads me to worry that your essays will be weak on the 'why HBS' angle and that will put a 2nd nail in your coffin
4) And your 580 score is already one pretty big rusty nail.
5) Go buy the manhattan GMAT books and official guide
6) Study 200 hours
7) Retake with a goal of 650+
8) Apply elsewhere
9) Forget whomever had 'one admit' at HBS with a 580, its a hail mary pass.
10) Move to Leuven and mail me beer
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
580? Bull.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 48

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
That could be an interesting marketing trick from Harvard:
first step: you broaden your GMAT range to 400-800 and attract all possible candidates
second: as a result, your admission % plummets to 0.5% and you boast yourself as the most selective school on the planet (even surpassing famous IIB)
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
brainiac wrote:
i agree, there is nothing wrong with lower ranked schools

Well, I disagree. MBA education is a winner-take-all world, just like technology or art, or as Nassim Taleb would put it - it is the domain of Extremistan. So the fundamental thing that is wrong with lower ranked schools is that they are ranked lower.

That is why there is Wharton, Stanford and Harvard, and three thousand + "lower ranked" schools in the fat tail of the distribution.

Go for the top 3 no matter what. The upside is almost invariably tremendous, and the downside is virtually zero. With lower ranked schools the downside can be tremendous, and the upside - questionable.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
xerox wrote:
The attitude in the post above speaks volumes!

Although birds of a feather flock together, I just hope this is not representative of Tuck's community. Or maybe this attitude is something that is reflected in the school's rankings.

Are you trying to make a joke here? Please tell me you are.

As to my attitude, well I hope my posts do speak volumes.

I can't stand pointless, misguided, elitism. The idea that h/s/w are the only schools that are worth anything is something we hear all the time, always from someone who is at those schools, and it is always wrong. I don't disagree that h/s/w/are the best, of course they are, but the idea that schools below some magical rank have questionable upsides is obviously rubbish. Even the people who do the rankings have started qualifying them by saying that the differences between any grouping of ten or so schools are statistically insignificant.

Also, I find any post that seems to be aimed at making people feel bad about what they have accomplished or can accomplish, quite offensive. Who are you to say that people shouldn't feel proud of whatever school they get into? Not everyone can get into h/s/w, but there are thousands of people who don't who are still very intelligent, very capable people in their own right. I don't like the idea that anyone would listen to you, only apply for h/s/w, and then not do an MBA at all when they don't get in.

I hope that when I show up to school my fellow Tuckies hold similar views. I'm aware however, that not all of them will because Tuck, like all of the good schools, tries to build a diverse class which means I know I'll run into people who disagree with me. Am I to infer from your posts that everyone from Wharton is like you?... Of course not.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8195 [1] , given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 11:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am going to lock this one for 24 hrs to let it cool down....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aringo client with 580 at HBS – bullshit? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 09:06
BrusselsToBoston wrote:
Guys,

My (third) GMAT is 580. My dream is, and has always been, HBS. I have been spending the past two years working on the GMAT, bringing it to where it (unfortunately) is. What would it take to get in? I have an undergrad degree from a top Belgian university with distinction, and I come from a large (200+ people) family business (industrial lighting) where I am now VP of Biz Dev.

First, as to HBS themselves, they do not say or declare in any way whether 580 could be relevant. Second, after two years of dealing with this, I just saw on Aringo.com site that they are claiming they put a client with 580 at Harvard. I emailed them. Is this bullshit? One-time lucky case? The lowest-GMAT person I heard of (friend of friend of friends) got into HBS with 660, but this 580 thing gave me some hope (after I kind of already gave up about HBS), if (?) it is no bullshit.

Am I hallucinating? Or – give me some hope… heard of other such cases?

Brussels to Boston

I would say if you can improve your score by about 100 points you have a shot. With a 580 you need to have substantial accomplishments in your work experience life (something to the extent of - founded Groupon or been on the EU board). There are a couple of cases who get in each year with such a GMAT but they do have some mind boggling experiences. I am not sure how much an admissions consulting company will be able to help if your case. Mind sharing some other stats other than GMAT?

One Life, One Chance

Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Aringo client with 580 at HBS – bullshit? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 20:43
An admit with a 580 to any of the elite schools is going to have some really special circumstances going for him/her. Examples might be founding a large publicly traded company, being military Medal of Honor recipient, or having a last name like Kennedy or Bush. If these, or similar situations, don't apply to you, then 580 probably isn't going to cut it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the caliber of people applying to a place like HBS is so high that a person would need to have something really special to distinguish them from the glut of highly successful, ambitious applicants.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bullshit? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 09:58
it will be hard to get in with 580. just look at schools profiles - most students have much higher scores.
i suggest you study hard and retake the test.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bullshit? [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 10:26
hmmm... Why don't you ask Gil Levi from Aringo.com?

:)

He has a thread in this community:
ask-aringo-if-your-gmat-is-or-might-be-below-109261.html?hilit=aringo#p880243

Ask them whether the quoted case is an isolated one or have there been multiple instances where people with similar scores have been admitted to HSB!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 23:48
such cases are probably rare but possible. you have to believe in yourself and follow your dream (and improve your GMAT :) )
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

CAT Tests
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2011, 00:09
I agree with what the others said; in any case, you should focus more on your experiences, try to find something that really distinguishes you from the rest of the applicants. You can try to improve your score and than apply to HBS, but you can also consider other schools...
I wish you all the best!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 13:05
There is probably no way you are getting in, sorry, that is just the reality.

But the real question is why HBS. It seems as though you are being to one-sided. There are tons of other great programs.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2 - Ding), Stanford (R2 - Admit), Wharton(R2 - Admit)
WE 1: IT Consulting (3.5 yrs)

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 16:47
Don't give up - you should be able to improve your GMAT score with a good course. Have you taken one yet? I recommend Manhattan GMAT (got a 750 first try), but I don't know if they have classes outside the US. HBS is apparently known to not take the GMAT too seriously (and rightly so, it really just tests how well you can take tests), although a 580 is still pretty low regardless of how seriously it's taken. You'd go down in the books as a miracle if you got in with that score, I think :P On the flip side, I heard that HBS weighs the GPA very heavily, but I got an interview invitation with slightly below a 3.2, so the point is...don't give up. Either give it your best shot and write some stellar essays or give the GMAT another shot. When are you planning on applying? I'm assuming for class of 2014? Consultants can help, but I seriously doubt their claims of 'getting someone with a 580 in' - he obviously had a great story, but they just helped him tell it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 13:23
thanks everyone.
yes, i want to apply this year for 2012 program (class of 2014).
i understand that the GMAT is only one part of the application and that the essays are very important as well, i'm just not sure my story is strong enough and that i can make it sound strong, that's why i figured i need all the help i can get.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 06:35
by the way, why are you obsessed with HBS? i don't know what are your career goals, but you can probably get there even if you go to a lower ranked program. HBS has an excellent reputation, but there are other programs out there... i really think you should consider them, you'll be surprised!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 12:01
that's right, i think that any top-20 or even top-30 program would be good for you and could give your career a big push. there are many graduates of lower ranked schools who did extremely well in their careers.
Intern
Intern

Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2011, 23:39
I understand that of course, but HBS has been my dream school. I might apply to other lower ranked schools as well (safety schools), but i can't give up HBS.
Re: Aringo.com client with 580 at HBS – bull?   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2011, 23:39