Aristotle SC Grail : GMAT Verbal Section
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 10 Dec 2016, 13:50
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aristotle SC Grail

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 10:49
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 3723
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 379

Kudos [?]: 2784 [2] , given: 1961

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Theeraya wrote:
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!


The sentence is from Aristotle SC grail Page No 110 (Chapter No 6 - Modifications ) right?

In original sentence, we have passive subject poor cared shoes wherein the adjective cared modifies the noun shoes and another adjective poor wrongly modifies the other adjective cared. The adjective has to modify noun or pronoun and can not modify the another adjective for which which we would need adverb poorly.

Hence the correct usage is poorly cared shoes

Hope that helps! :)
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club App Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:25
Narenn wrote:
Theeraya wrote:
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!


The sentence is from Aristotle SC grail Page No 110 (Chapter No 6 - Modifications ) right?

In original sentence, we have passive subject poor cared shoes wherein the adjective cared modifies the noun shoes and another adjective poor wrongly modifies the other adjective cared. The adjective has to modify noun or pronoun and can not modify the another adjective for which which we would need adverb poorly.

Hence the correct usage is poorly cared shoes

Hope that helps! :)



Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

I believe we have a different edition of the book. Mine is a 2012 edition and the question is Q18 on page 106. You are right about it being under the Modifier chapter, though.

I understand your explanation completely. I'm just troubled by the word "for" that comes before the word "shoes". It would make sense if it were to be "poorly cared shoes" but the correct answer states "poorly cared 'for' shoes".

Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 3723
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 379

Kudos [?]: 2784 [1] , given: 1961

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think it is due to printing mistake. Both poor cared for shoes and poorly cared for shoes, at the position of subject, would not make any sense . I have already asked Aristotle for the clarification and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club App Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:41
Narenn wrote:
I think it is due to printing mistake. Both poor cared for shoes and poorly cared for shoes, at the position of subject, would not make any sense . I have already asked Aristotle for the clarification and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks



Have you heard from them? If not, it's ok, no biggie. ;)
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 3723
Location: India
City: Pune
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 379

Kudos [?]: 2784 [0], given: 1961

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:49
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav


Regards,
Narenn
_________________

Chances of Getting Admitted After an Interview [Data Crunch]

New GMAT Club App Tracker - Real Time Decision Updates

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 15:48
Narenn wrote:
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav


Regards,
Narenn



Thank you for the update. For some reason, it makes more sense to me now. I appreciate your help!
Re: Aristotle SC Grail   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 15:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Advice regarding Aristotle verbal series kreel11 2 03 Feb 2016, 08:26
1 RC Grail Vs Egmat jimmy02 5 03 Sep 2015, 08:46
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Aristotle SC Grail -- Parallelism Q4 Page 120 TMax 2 04 Oct 2013, 12:01
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Aristotle GMAT Reading Comprehension Grail abhilash17 4 30 Aug 2013, 10:18
Aristotle does not provide it anymore TheHans 2 12 Feb 2012, 03:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Aristotle SC Grail

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.