Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink]
Narenn wrote:
Theeraya wrote:
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!

The sentence is from Aristotle SC grail Page No 110 (Chapter No 6 - Modifications ) right?

In original sentence, we have passive subject poor cared shoes wherein the adjective cared modifies the noun shoes and another adjective poor wrongly modifies the other adjective cared. The adjective has to modify noun or pronoun and can not modify the another adjective for which which we would need adverb poorly.

Hence the correct usage is poorly cared shoes

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

I believe we have a different edition of the book. Mine is a 2012 edition and the question is Q18 on page 106. You are right about it being under the Modifier chapter, though.

I understand your explanation completely. I'm just troubled by the word "for" that comes before the word "shoes". It would make sense if it were to be "poorly cared shoes" but the correct answer states "poorly cared 'for' shoes".

Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
I think it is due to printing mistake. Both poor cared for shoes and poorly cared for shoes, at the position of subject, would not make any sense . I have already asked Aristotle for the clarification and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks

Have you heard from them? If not, it's ok, no biggie. ;)
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav

Regards,
Narenn
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Narenn wrote:
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav

Regards,
Narenn

Thank you for the update. For some reason, it makes more sense to me now. I appreciate your help!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts