Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aristotle SC Grail

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 10:49
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1181
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 146

Kudos [?]: 913 [2] , given: 871

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:15
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Theeraya wrote:
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!


The sentence is from Aristotle SC grail Page No 110 (Chapter No 6 - Modifications ) right?

In original sentence, we have passive subject poor cared shoes wherein the adjective cared modifies the noun shoes and another adjective poor wrongly modifies the other adjective cared. The adjective has to modify noun or pronoun and can not modify the another adjective for which which we would need adverb poorly.

Hence the correct usage is poorly cared shoes

Hope that helps! :)
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:25
Narenn wrote:
Theeraya wrote:
A person's appearance can be ruined by "poorly cared" for shoes-- this is the right answer but I think it should be "poor care". Please help!


The sentence is from Aristotle SC grail Page No 110 (Chapter No 6 - Modifications ) right?

In original sentence, we have passive subject poor cared shoes wherein the adjective cared modifies the noun shoes and another adjective poor wrongly modifies the other adjective cared. The adjective has to modify noun or pronoun and can not modify the another adjective for which which we would need adverb poorly.

Hence the correct usage is poorly cared shoes

Hope that helps! :)



Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

I believe we have a different edition of the book. Mine is a 2012 edition and the question is Q18 on page 106. You are right about it being under the Modifier chapter, though.

I understand your explanation completely. I'm just troubled by the word "for" that comes before the word "shoes". It would make sense if it were to be "poorly cared shoes" but the correct answer states "poorly cared 'for' shoes".

Please let me know if I'm wrong.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1181
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 146

Kudos [?]: 913 [1] , given: 871

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I think it is due to printing mistake. Both poor cared for shoes and poorly cared for shoes, at the position of subject, would not make any sense . I have already asked Aristotle for the clarification and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:41
Narenn wrote:
I think it is due to printing mistake. Both poor cared for shoes and poorly cared for shoes, at the position of subject, would not make any sense . I have already asked Aristotle for the clarification and will let you know as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks



Have you heard from them? If not, it's ok, no biggie. ;)
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1181
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 146

Kudos [?]: 913 [0], given: 871

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 10:49
Expert's post
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav


Regards,
Narenn
_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.


Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2013
Posts: 13
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.64
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 46

Re: Aristotle SC Grail [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 15:48
Narenn wrote:
Oh, I am sorry. I forgot to update on that.

Pls ignore whatever is written in my earlier posts. IT WAS A MISTAKE and the original structure, as given in book, is correct.

Here is the reply of Aristotle Representative.

AristotlePrep wrote:
Hi Narenn,

Glad to hear from you again and I'm glad that you are finding the book helpful. Here's the answer to your query.

"There is no typo in this sentence. 'Cared for' is an expression in English that means 'looked after'. The two words are always used together. We cannot say 'poorly cared shoes' because that will have no meaning. It is something similar to saying 'the well looked after house'. You can't say the 'well looked house"

Regards,
Manav


Regards,
Narenn



Thank you for the update. For some reason, it makes more sense to me now. I appreciate your help!
Re: Aristotle SC Grail   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2013, 15:48
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Aristotle SC Grail good enough? georgepaul0071987 18 03 May 2012, 09:09
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Aristotle SC Grail vs Manhattan SC Guide djabhi 10 18 Jun 2011, 21:16
17 Experts publish their posts in the topic A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail whiplash2411 79 13 Nov 2010, 21:17
2 About Aristotle SC Grail resh 15 02 Nov 2010, 10:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Aristotle SC Grail

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.