Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Aroca County s public schools are supported primarily by

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Aroca County s public schools are supported primarily by [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 14:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

62% (02:27) correct 38% (01:39) wrong based on 244 sessions
Aroca County’s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on property. The county plans to eliminate the property tax and support schools with a new three percent sales tax on all retail items sold in the county. Three percent of current retail sales is less than the amount collected through property taxes, but implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County public schools, because ______.

Which if the following, if true, most logically completes the argument?

(A) many Aroca County residents have already left the county because of its high property taxes
(B) a shopping mall likely to draw shoppers from neighboring counties is about to open in Aroca County
(C) at least some Aroca County parents are likely to use the money they will save on property taxes to send their children to private schools not funded by the county
(D) a significant proportion of parents of Aroca County public school students do not own their homes and consequently do not pay property taxes
(E) retailers in Aroca County are not likely to absorb the sales tax by reducing the pretax price of their goods
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 15:46
My answer is C....If more parent use their money that they save from elimination of the property taxes to send their kids to private school then that means that is less of a cost burden to the county and thus not changing the amount going to the public schools...

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 16:25
Just read my answer to C and it makes no sense...actually I'm going to have to agree with anandnk and 700plus and go with B....if you are not going to get less revenue from your own county but not necessarily less overall then you must be getting money from another source...and B definately addresses the additional revenue source coming from shoppers of neighbouring counties....Yeah that greenandwise character has no idea what he's talking about!!! :lol:

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Last edited by greenandwise on 21 Feb 2005, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 16:25
B) indicates the possibility of higher revenues because of increased sales from the mall.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 19:40
I'll go with (C) after deliberating (B). If some children are not attending the county public schools, the amount spent per student in a school will not decrease even though the 3% sales tax is less than the property tax.

(B) merely says a shoping mall is drawing more shoppers, but it does not mean this increased number will result in a sales tax comparable to the amount collected through property tax.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 08:44
(C) does not answer why "implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County public schools", but (B) does.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 10:31
I vote for (B) also. Opening another mall would add additional money going to Aroca county's public schools.

(C) mentions kids going to private schools, which I think is out of scope of the argument's main point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Aroca County [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 11:42
Guys I am totally confused as I am against almost all the guys here. I am choosing D.

A mall may attract people who may not buy anything!!

In case of D, though the property tax is more than the sales tax, the total amount collected through property tax is less because the significant number of people are not paying the amount as they donot own their own house. Now, the conclusion "implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County public schools" can be followed because already the amount collected is less through property tax and it may be met comfortably through sales tax.

pb_india wrote:
Aroca County?s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on property. The county plans to eliminate the property tax and support schools with a new three percent sales tax on all retail items sold in the county. Three percent of current retail sales is less than the amount collected through property taxes, but implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County public schools, because ______.

A. many Aroca County residents have already left the county because of its high property taxes
B. a shopping mall likely to draw shoppers from neighboring counties is about to open in Aroca County
C. at least some Aroca County parents are likely to use the money they will save on property taxes to send their children to private schools not funded by the county
D. a significant proportion of parents of Aroca County public school students do not own their homes and consequently do not pay property taxes
E. retailers in Aroca County are not likely to absorb the sales tax by reducing the pretax price of their goods

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 17:58
B, but I made the same mistake as greenandwise at the beginning and chose C at first :(
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 05:40
I will pick (B).

Implementation of "sales tax" plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County Public School. However, current amount is less than "property tax".

My thought Process: I need that answer which shows that somehow in the near future "sales tax" amount will increase.
(B) says they are going to have a Shopping Mall nearby which will generate more sales tax in near future.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 08:26
My pick would also be B.
This is also one of those examples, where we need to have forward thinking into the future, where its going to fetch more money to finance school system.
I didn't pick C, because it was not given that the parents are not going to shell out of their pockets(Its out of scope).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 16:11
OA is "B"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

CR:Aroca County [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 02:58
Which if the following, if true, most logically completes the argument?

Aroca County’s public schools are supported primarily by taxes on property. The county plans to eliminate the property tax and support schools with a new three percent sales tax on all retail items sold in the county. Three percent of current retail sales is less than the amount collected through property taxes, but implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca County public schools, because ______.

A. many Aroca County residents have already left the county because of its high property taxes
B. a shopping mall likely to draw shoppers from neighboring counties is about to open in Aroca County
C. at least some Aroca County parents are likely to use the money they will save on property taxes to send their children to private schools not funded by the county
D. a significant proportion of parents of Aroca County public school students do not own their homes and consequently do not pay property taxes
E. retailers in Aroca County are not likely to absorb the sales tax by reducing the pretax price of their goods
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 04:56
only B makes sense
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 05:04
B solves the paradox because it introduces a new factor that can aide in more state revenue. The other choices seem irrelevant, or out of scope.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 05:49
what is wrong with D? The sales tax is able to make those who do not pay property rights tax to pay. Thus D does make sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 06:45
okdongdong wrote:
what is wrong with D? The sales tax is able to make those who do not pay property rights tax to pay. Thus D does make sense.

last sentence says

but implementation of the plan would not necessarily reduce the amount of money going to Aroca

so we need to find a choice that address retail sales
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 08:22
Half hearted B

Fear Mediocrity, Respect Ignorance

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:Aroca County [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2005, 19:40
B is most likely however all choices are irrelavant.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2005, 10:20
(B) too.
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2005, 10:20