Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 07:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 04:12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

50% (01:47) correct 50% (00:39) wrong based on 103 sessions
Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most parts of the world was that schools must teach nothing that would belittle the authority of kings or discredit established beliefs.

(A) must teach nothing that would
(B) must teach nothing that will
(C) were to teach nothing that will
(D) should not teach anything that would
(E) must hardly teach nothing that would

Please, discuss with me more about option D. Why it is wrong. Yes. Should/must affects the meaning of line. Which one should be correct ?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth '16
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 09:15

We are pretty much clear that WOULD should be there...therefore B and C are out

A
D --> Should is used for MORAL OBLIGATIONS...here Should is changing the meaning of the sentence. MUST needs to be used in this sentence as it represent the situuation which need to be followed by FORCE not by moral obligation.

E --> MUST HARDLY --> sounds awkward and also Hardly and nothing seems to be redundant.

Hence we are left with A
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 150

Kudos [?]: 1471 [0], given: 122

Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 12:19
umeshpatil wrote:
Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most parts of the world was that schools must teach nothing that would belittle the authority of kings or discredit established beliefs.

Please, discuss with me more about option D. Why it is wrong. Yes. Should/must affects the meaning of line. Which one should be correct ?

Hi umeshpatil

Good question. The point is "stay with the intended meaning, whether it uses must or should". I will say D is out right away. "Should" and "must" are totally different.
Must = obligation
Should = suggestion.

(A) must teach nothing that would ==> Correct.
(B) must teach nothing that will ==> Wrong
(C) were to teach nothing that will ==> Wrong. Awkward
(D) should not teach anything that would ==> Wrong.
(E) must hardly teach nothing that would ==> Wrong. "hardly" = not, so the sentence is "must not teach nothing that".

PS: Just small comment: "discuss with me about something" is not correct idiom. The correct one is "discuss something with someone". The usage "discuss" + "about" is redundant.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 134

Kudos [?]: 258 [1] , given: 12

Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 14:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I have to disagree with everyone on this one. D is just fine. This does not look like a valid GMAT question. If I am describing an attitude, there is no real difference between saying "you must not" and "you should not," unless I am trying to assert a fact ("He's late, so he must not be coming.") In either version, the belief is that it should not be done. (D) doesn't lose because it "changes the meaning," as we need to look at all 5 choices to determine that meaning.

umeshpatil, where are you getting these SC questions? I suggest you abandon that source for a more reliable one!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 27

Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 08:43
both A and D are correct.

but D can be considered wrong because D change the meaning of the original sentence. This mean we have to keep the meaning of the original sentence if it is possible to do so. However, some experts think that there is no situation in which 2 choices are correct. So, there is no situation in which we have to choose to keep the meaing of the original sentence.

I do not see any question in og, in which we have to eliminate a choice just because its meaning is different from the original meaning. all the wrong choices have grammartical problem or logic problem.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 47

Kudos [?]: 465 [0], given: 213

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 03:33
Hi,

what does following sentence mean ?

schools must teach nothing (object noun) (no single thing)

if nothing is a object can we ask someone to teach me nothing.

E.g : Student asked teacher not to teach.
E.g : Student asked teacher to teach nothing.

not with verb teach looks sensible, but nothing as object of the verb teach sounds weird.

Experts please shed some light on this.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Around three centuries ago, the prevailing attitude in most   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 03:33