Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Arrrgg... 690 (Q50, V32)!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 18:10
Thanks guys.

Below is the list of practice test scores. I also attached the excel file which I used as my log book.

I give the real GMAT a higher level of attention when I wrote it. I remember I had to put my face just about 5 inches away from the screen so my eyes can cover the whole line of text in RC. It was like my eye taking "image" of every line and transfer to my brain to process. It is a continuoes process and cannot be interrupted. By the way, my eyes are very bad because I have been working at night on the flight deck for the last four years.

GMAT SAMPLE TEST RESULTS

Arco CAT 1
575 (Q48, V18)
1/15/05
The software is old and buggy. Quan was easy but I guess on the last question because the base called for Amber Alert. We have to stop everything and muster. Missed 6 questions mostly because of careless. Verbal is irrelevant. RCs were too long with more than 80 lines each. CR was off track. SC was easy and does not represent real GMAT or OG. Most of the questions were repeated from the "Master the GMAT CAT" book. I have like 5 mins extra on both Quan and Verbal. The software won't let me to review the correct questions.

Arco CAT 2
Decide not to take

PowerPrep 1
760 (Q51, V41)
2/10/05
Quan was easy b/c most questions were repeated from GMATPlus. I had 12 min extra at the end. Verbal repeated all questions from OG. I made some mistakes because of careless. This is the first test I decided to do the essay portion. PP is not goo for time strategy if you have already done the OG.

PowerPrep 2
700 (Q50, V34)
3/4/05
Quan is easy. All Verbal questions are from OG but I could not recall most of them.

Cambridge Review 1
680 (Q47, V37)
1/25/05
Quan is easy b/c many questions repeated from previous tests. Most SC, CR and RC are repeated from Master the GMAT from Arco but it was 6 months ago so I forgot most of them. The scrollbar in RC passage is extremely difficult to use.

Cambridge Review 2
Decide not to take

Crack-GMAT 1
595 (Q47, V18)
1/2/05
Lots of crappy SC, wrong answer CR, RC is too easy

Crack-GMAT 2
665 (Q48, V31)
1/7/05
Few repeated questions of Verbal from previous test. Quan is good, seems easier. Feel like the program ran out of hard questions from previous test.

Crack-GMAT 3
580 (Q40, V22)
12/29/04
Quan is good

Kaplan Diagnostic
640 (Q44, V35)
12/30/04
Quite easy, but make stupid mistake in Quan

Kaplan 1
550 (Q36, V25)
1/3/05
Got disturb by co-workers many times. Timing strategy in Quan was wrong. Guess on last 7 questions, didn't do last question.

Kaplan 2
600 (Q41, V31)
1/4/05
Got Quan strategy right this time, but still guess on the last 3-4 questions. There were about 5-6 DS in a row around question 7. Workers disturbed many times again. RC is generally hard. Guess on the last passage. Got 2 questions familiar. Some typo in RC.

Kaplan 3
640 (Q46, V33)
2/8/05
Test is fairly easier than previous one for some reason

Kaplan 4
600 (Q42, V31)
2/26/05
Quan was the easiest so far. Verbal was not too hard. I made many careless mistakes on Quan and CR. So far, all RC passages in Kaplan were easier than the ones in real test.

Princeton Review 2004 1
600 (Q40, V33)
1/2/05
Did the test after work, so tired. Make stupid mistakes in Quan, 4 wrong questions in the first 12. Verbal was good but made too many mistake in RC. The software is buggy b/c timer got messed up many time, had to reinstall the software

Princeton Review 2004 2
N/A (Q38, N/A)
1/5/05
Software is so buggy. It skipped the Quan section for no reason. I have to come back and retake only Quan. There are 3 familiar RCs from Kaplan. This software is crappy design. I think it is worse than Crack-GMAT.

Princeton Review 2004 3
690 (Q45, V41)
1/19/05
It has been a while since I took the last test. I only have chance to take test when the flight schedule gave me time. Quan was too easy. Made 2 careless mistakes, but score 45, don't know why. I finished Quan with 20 mins left. Verbal has same RC again. Few repeated CR. Most SC are easy. Missed 8 totally in Verbal but score 41, weird!! I expected to score higher than 700 since I have more than 15 mins left in Verbal

Princeton Review 2004 4
710 (Q46, V42)
2/8/05
Quan is easy b/c many questions repeated from previous tests. Made 2 careless mistakes and the test had one wrong answer. All RC passages are repeated. Some CRs are OG-clones. It is easy overall. PR test is not good for timing strategy b/c there is a lot of time for Verbal. However, I was still running out of time in Verbal. The software did not show the second so it is impossibile to click like a few seconds before time-out

Barron's GMAT
N/A
1/28/05
I spent 3 hours to take the CAT but I found out that the test is stupid. The program has error and shows me no result in the end. It said I only answered 2 questions in the whole test!!?? SC tested on old concepts, not worth it. The whole verbal part is completely irrelevant to real GMAT. Math part is too easy.

Realtestquestions.com 1
Q 89.19%, V 68.29% N/A
1/9/05
Math is relatively easy. Most CR questions repeated. RC is easy.

Realtestquestions.com 2
Q 75.68%, V 75.61% N/A
1/27/05
Quan seems a lot harder than the previous one because of the high number of word problems. There are no Geometry questions. Two DS are repeated within the test itself. Made lots of careless mistakes in Quan b/c of misreading or miscalculation. The reason is the lack of concentration during working hour. Some Quan questions are vaguely worded and contains grammar mistakes. There are many CR questions repeated from OG. Two questions are same in this test. Many typos in SC. CR passages are fairly easy.

Peterson 1
660 (Q50, V30)
2/20/05
Quan is similar to real GMAT but I made some careless mistake. There was one question with typo. Verbal is easier than real GMAT. Most RC passages are repeated. Some CR questions are familiar. Most SC are easy. My roommate parents came over so I was disturbed in the last 10 questions which I got almost all wrong.

Peterson 2
640 (Q47, V31)
2/22/05
Quan has many difficult geometry questions asking for volume fomular. There is one RC passage similar but I don't remember the answer. Verbal is fairly easy.

Princeton Review 2005 1
690 (Q46, V39)
3/1/05
The software will reset itself if you take break between Quan and Verbal. I had to redo the Quan but I only had few questions repeated. I had 8 mistakes first time and 2 second time, but the score went from 49 to 46 b/c the second time I made one mistake in early question. The scoring system is a little extreme. Verbal had 2 RC and many CR repeated. Some SC are familiar but I dont remember the answer.

800score.com 2.4 1
700 (Q43, V47)
3/2/05
Some Quan questions repeated but I only remember how to solve them. I made 5 careless mistakes. Lots of CR in Verbal. 4 RC passages like real GMAT. There are a few SC, comparing to the real GMAT. Some CR are repeated and most in LSAT form. I changed strategy on this test by spending a lot more time in the first 15 questions and rush through passage 3 & 4 at the end because I know I will not do well anyway. Also I rush through some CR questions at the end for similar reason. I only do SC by the end carefully since those are easy to knock out.
Attachments

Sample Test Results.xls [25 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2005, 18:14
I have one file as my vocabulary, mostly from OG
Another file is my GMAT strategy. The one got black-out was done.
Attachments

MY GMAT STRATEGY.doc [25.5 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times

My Vocabulary.xls [166 KiB]
Downloaded 92 times

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2005, 06:31
amazing post qhoc0010. I cannot believe what all people do go through and everyone of us has a story. I thought I was having the hardest of times. Working full time rather (15 hrs a day) and with a divroce which just got finalized and at a 600 still. Need to go ahead and get a 660+ as Mc Combs already to take me in if I get around 630, 640. I just hope Iget to 660 with the same level of concentration that you have.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 03:58
hey qhoc,

It is amazing and incredible. Congratulations on your success of beating GMAT from the bottom of my heart.

I am really proud of you, a truly Vietnamese man with strong courage and determination. I am also a Vietnamese but my story on the way to attack GMAT is not so comparable as yours. My last score was 580 after three shots, in all of which the verbal knocked me down. And now I am thinking whether to give the test again or not because it took me a lot of energy and time. On the other hand, I am persistently ambitous to get PHD in US (I got MBA in Europe). So GMAT is one of the heaviest obstacles on my way, it is so problematic for me that I really don't whether to go on or stop my ambition to study PHD.

Fortunately, I have got you as a mirror and a motivation which re-fuel my desire. After reading you post, I got to perceive that GMAT is not so difficult to overcome because in the world there was a man working under the much more difficult environment but he could beat the GMAT in success with all endeavor he had. I ask myself why don't I give another try and what prevents myself to work hard to touch the same feeling of glory as you do.

Qhoc, one thing I need you helf, I am finding some updated GMAT materials for this preparation and all materials I had almost out of date. And I don't have any clue, could you please advise me on that. You could reach me via email wunderbar03@gmx.de for personal idea.

Seeing you around.

XIN CHAN THANH CHUC MUNG,

Wunderbar03
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2005, 07:49
Hi, wunderbar03. Thanks for your comment.
Yes, the GMAT is beatable. After doing over 1000 problems, you will see the pattern. I would not say it was easy but it is not impossible to overcome this test. All you can do is to practice more and more.

It is nice to have someone with the same nationality. I will email you to discuss about any questions that you have.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 20:40
Well, I just took GMAT today and got 660 (Q51, V27). I am not too happy about it but considering I only had 2 weeks to prepare, I can't blame myself too much. I only used Princeton Review and PP for preparation. I wish I had OG. I ordered it through Amazon but they delayed shipping until April so I couldn't wait. Again as everyone said, PP is quite good indicator as I scored around 650 both tests.

About the test, I don't remember much. Quant was ok but I really had a hard time with Verbal. I think I payed too much attention to pacing. I finished the test with about 3 minutes left. I should have spent more time at the beginning. Anyway if I had OG, I think I would do much better on Verbal which is always my weakness as I am not native (I am Vietnamese).

Good luck to everyone else who is going to take GMAT. I probably will not retake it.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 22:15
qhoc0010
Congrats, very inspiring story. My test date is coming up fast. Already feeling anxy. Great to hear your story. Wish you all the best. Thanks

Praveen

Praveen

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Arrrgg... 690 (Q50, V32)!! [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2005, 22:44
qhoc0010, Congratulatations for beating the GMAT. Very inspiring story you have. Yes, i also believe that GMAT can be beaten and we should not give up, not at any cost.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2005, 05:59
praveen_rao7 wrote:
qhoc0010
Congrats, very inspiring story. My test date is coming up fast. Already feeling anxy. Great to hear your story. Wish you all the best. Thanks

Praveen

when is urs?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2005, 08:30
chunglun,

660 is great score for a non native like you, and 51Q is perfect score.

Good luck on your application.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 16:31
Alright guys. Good news!!
I just got a phone call from University of Washington and I was admitted. School will start this Fall. Thank you, GMATClub!!
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 16:37
qhoc0010 wrote:
Alright guys. Good news!! I just got a phone call from University of Washington and I was admitted. School will start this Fall. Thank you, GMATClub!!

congratulations and all the best for your MBA study.....
keep on updating your study.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 May 2005, 16:46
Congratulations qhoc!!!
Gud Luck for the new Begining..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 03:23
Congratulations..................Please stay around so that you cn help new guys like me..........................

Good luck with the application process.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 06:06
Congrats qhoc! I'm very proud of you and wish you all the best!

Best Regards,

Paul

CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2005, 08:05
qhoc0010 wrote:
Alright guys. Good news!!
I just got a phone call from University of Washington and I was admitted. School will start this Fall. Thank you, GMATClub!!

Congratulations , qhoc.

Kindly share your experience with applying to b-school in the "share your b-school app exp. forum". I am sure many can benefit from that.

thanks
Praetorian
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 11:48
Thanks guys! Sure I will post my experience in a little bit. I didn't have much time for the eBook project. I have been really busy lately.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 May 2005, 22:40
All your endeavors are eventually paid off. Congratulations!

Wish you all the best.

Regards,
Wunderbar03

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2006, 16:52
I am in the same boat! got a 690 and am quite disappointed. Not really sure whether I should retake!

Everyone seems to have atleast 720 score!
  [#permalink] 24 Feb 2006, 16:52