Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 67 [1] , given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Art historians’ approach to French Impressionism has changed significantly in recent years. While a decade ago Rewald’s History of Impressionism, which emphasizes Impressionist painters’ stylistic innovations, was unchallenged, the literature on impressionism has now become a kind of ideological battlefield, in which more attention is paid to the subject matter of the paintings, and to the social and moral issues raised by it, than to their style. Recently, politically charged discussions that address the impressionists’ unequal treatment of men and women and the exclusion of modern industry and labor from their pictures have tended to crowd out the stylistic analysis favored by Rewald and his followers. In a new work illustrating this trend, Robert L. Herbert dissociates himself from formalists whose preoccupation with the stylistic features of impressionist painting has, in Herbert’s view, left the history out of art history; his aim is to restore impressionist paintings “to their sociocultural context.” However, his arguments are not finally persuasive.

In attempting to place impressionist painting in its proper historical context, Herbert has redrawn the traditional boundaries of impressionism. Limiting himself to the two decades between 1860 and 1880, he assembles under the impressionist banner what can only be described as a somewhat eccentric grouping of painters. Cezanne, Pisarro, and Sisley are almost entirely ignored, largely because their paintings do not suit Herbert’s emphasis on themes of urban life and suburban leisure, while Manet, Degas, and Caillebotte—who paint scenes of urban life but whom many would hardly characterize as impressionists—dominate the first half of the book. Although this new description of Impressionist painting provides a more unified conception of nineteenth-century French painting by grouping quite disparate modernist painters together and emphasizing their common concerns rather than their stylistic difference, it also forces Herbert to overlook some of the most important genres of impressionist painting—portraiture, pure landscape, and still-life painting.

Moreover, the rationale for Herbert’s emphasis on the social and political realities that Impressionist paintings can be said to communicate rather than on their style is finally undermined by what even Herbert concedes was the failure of Impressionist painters to serve as particularly conscientious illustrators of their social milieu. They left much ordinary experience—work and poverty, for example—out of their paintings and what they did put in was transformed by a style that had only an indirect relationship to the social realities of the world they depicted. Not only were their pictures inventions rather than photographs, they were inventions in which style to some degree disrupted description. Their painting in effect have two levels of subject: what is represented and how it is represented, and no art historian can afford to emphasize one at the expense of the other.
1. Which one of the following best expresses the main point of the passage?

(A) The style of impressionist paintings has only an indirect relation to their subject matter.
(B) The approach to impressionism that is illustrated by Herbert’s recent book is inadequate.
(C) The historical context of impressionist paintings is not relevant to their interpretation.
(D) impressionism emerged from a historical context of ideological conflict and change.
(E) Any adequate future interpretation of impressionism will have to come to terms with Herbert’s view of this art movement.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

2.According to the passage, Rewald’s book on impressionism was characterized by which one of the following?

(A) evenhanded objectivity about the achievements of impressionism
(B) bias in favor of certain impressionist painters
(C) an emphasis on the stylistic features of impressionist painting
(D) an idiosyncratic view of which painters were to be classified as impressionists
(E) a refusal to enter into the ideological debates that had characterized earlier discussions of impressionism

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

3.The author implies that Herbert’s redefinition of the boundaries of impressionism resulted from which one of the following?

(A) an exclusive emphasis on form and style
(B) a bias in favor of the representation of modern industry
(C) an attempt to place impressionism within a specific sociocultural context
(D) a broadening of the term impressionism to include all nineteenth-century French painting
(E) an insufficient familiarity with earlier interpretations of impressionism

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

4.The author states which one of the following about modern industry and labor as subjects for painting?

(A) The impressionists neglected these subjects in their paintings.
(B) Herbert’s book on impressionism fails to give adequate treatment of these subjects.
(C) The impressionists’ treatment of these subjects was idealized.
(D) Rewald’s treatment of impressionist painters focused inordinately on their representations of these subjects.
(E) Modernist painters presented a distorted picture of these subjects.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

5.Which one of the following most accurately describes the structure of the author’s argument in the passage?

(A) The first two paragraphs each present independent arguments for a conclusion that is drawn in the third paragraph.
(B) A thesis is stated in the first paragraph and revised in the second paragraph and revised in the second paragraph, and the revised thesis is supported with argument in the third paragraph.
(C) The first two paragraphs discuss and criticize a thesis, and the third paragraph presents an alternative thesis.
(D) a claim is made in the first paragraph, and the next two paragraph, and the next two paragraphs each present reasons for accepting that claim.
(E) An argument is presented in the first paragraph, a counterargument is presented in the second paragraph, and the third paragraph suggests a way to resolve the dispute.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

6.The author’s statement that impressionist paintings “were inventions in which style to some degree disrupted description” serves to

(A) strengthen the claim that impressionist sought to emphasize the differences between painting and photography
(B) weaken the argument that style is the only important feature of impressionist paintings
(C) indicate that impressionists recognized that they had been strongly influence by photography
(D) support the argument that an exclusive emphasis on the impressionists subject matter is mistaken
(E) undermine the claim that impressionists neglected certain kinds of subject matter

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

7.The author would most likely regard a book on the impressionists that focused entirely on their style as
(A) a product of the recent confusion caused by Herbert’s book on impressionism
(B) emphasizing what impressionists themselves took to be their primary artistic concern
(C) an overreaction against the traditional interpretation of impressionism
(D) neglecting the most innovative aspects of impressionism
(E) addressing only part of what an adequate treatment should cover

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Lahoosaher

Last edited by MacFauz on 19 Mar 2014, 21:36, edited 2 times in total.
Formatting
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2009, 12:03
My answrs :
C
C
C
A
B
B
A

Time to read : 2 mins
Total Time : 10 mins

This time i used rhyme's approach.
I read 1st para very carefully and only tried to understand the subject matter of the second and third by quickly skimming through.
Looks like a good approach.
BUT I need to check the accuracy ....lets discuss this passage first.

Lahoosaher

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 05:24
OAs are :
b
c
c
a
d
d
e

ew.....my score 3/7
Thats really bad.....

Lahoosaher

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 years Software Product Development
WE 2: 3 years ERP Consulting
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2010, 23:36
Did this one in 12 minutes:
Got 6 Correct, 1 wrong
1. B
2. C
3. C
4. A
5. D
6. B -- Incorrect(D)
7. E

-AD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2010, 06:54
a really tough one....

It took me 12.45 mins to do...

Got all d 7 correct....Gud one to crack!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 20:59
I have a doubt here, somebody clarify please?

In my view, the passage broadly flows as below:
1. Art historians approach changed significantly in recent years.
2. How? - (A decade ago - stylistic innovations (Rewald), Now - more attention to the subject matter)
3. Support to above - Recent discussions about impressionists not depicting modern labor & industry - (the discussions are more focussed on the subject matter than the style which is favored by Rewald and his followers)
4. Herbert - redrew the traditional boundaries ( However, is not persuasive)
5. Why - (limited himself to some people, overlooked important genres of impressionist painting)
6. Support that these couldn't illustrate their social milieu, etc..

From this I thought the main point of the author is to prove that - the art historians approach changed from stylistic innovations to more focus on the subject matter of the painting.

I am not very clear about how the main point of the passage is - Herbert not being persuasive

Could somebody make this clear to me, please?

Thanks in advance
Krishna
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 14

Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 11:50
Took a good 14 minutes and still managed a 5/7
B
D --- Incorrect- confused the writer's name for Herbert- question's Op successful :/
C
E --- Incorrect- Dead after correct 2-3 split- need some explanation
D
D
E

---Winners do it differently---

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE: Design (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 12:25
yay !! got all correct using "Modified Rhyme Approach" .. thanks Rhyme
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2011, 07:31
+1 for knowing the modified approach...got 5/7 right after 14 mins!!! and first 5 in 12 mins!! so i really need an approach to buck-up
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 04:29
Im still not convinced 5th one is D...i agree with RohitKalla E is right

Shake the Pillars of Heaven!!!

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: RC : Art historians [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:02
theforrestgump wrote:
can someone explain???

Q 5:

Para I:The claim is
His(Herbert's) arguments are not finally persuasive

Para II : The main idea of para two is rephrased in its last sentence
it also forces Herbert to overlook some of the most important genres of impressionist painting

Para III: The main idea of para three is empasized in its first sentence

Herbert’s emphasis [strike]on the social and political realities that Impressionist paintings can be said to communicate rather than on their style[/strike] is finally undermined by what even Herbert concedes was the failure of Impressionist painters to serve as particularly conscientious illustrators of their social milieu

Clearly the last two para's aim at supporting the claim that Herbert's arguments are not persuasive.

Hence the correct answer is D.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:04
Took close to 10.5 minutes to solve all the problems. Still got one wrong ( Q 6)

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 11:16
6/7, in 11.35 sec. and finally i think i see some improvement in RC.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 13:20
10 mins 6/7

BCAADDE
dont agree with third one being C though. why not A?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 23:51
5/7 in 13.5 Minutes.

This one was annoying.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 06:33
1) b
2) c
3) c
4) e wrong [a]
5) a wrong [d]
6) e wrong [d]
7) e

Timing : 9 mins.
4/7 not a good score
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 12:52
Unfortunately, i forgot to start the timer. On the other hand I got 6/7, which is not bad.
1.B
2.C
3.C
4.A
5.D
6.A INCORRECT
7.E

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 02:20
7 mins, 5 correct out of 7 . whats the rhyme approach :?:

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 08:36
B C C A D D D

5/7 in 15 mins. It seems like I took too long.
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 662 [0], given: 116

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2014, 23:06
Bumping for review and further discussion*.

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Re: Art historians approach to French Impressionism has changed   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2014, 23:06