Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Art historians are using a process known as infrared

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Status: I will not stop until i realise my goal which is my dream too
Schools: Johnson '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 05:11
we can separate the answer choices first based on Whether or If

Only C used "employed by" correctly, hence i have selected it as my Answer Choice....

Regards,
Harsha

Note: Give me kudos if my approach is right , else help me understand where i am missing.. I want to bell the GMAT Cat ;)

Satyameva Jayate - Truth alone triumphs

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 06:28
if vs whether ruled out A and B

E is wrong because it uses past perfect. The activity of determining is after (or since) completion. So, we need to use either past or present perfect.

I believe in this case either present perfect or past is correct. Past is wrong here because SINCE in this context shows a time frame from SINCE till NOW when this could have happened. So, we need to use Present Perfect. I also think you cannot use SINCE with the Pure Past tense. (Somebody correct me here if I am wrong??)

But the fundamental problem with D is the TENSE.
"as WAS DONE by many artists of the time." This is passive voice.
If it is in past tense it should be AS DID MANY ARTISTS.

Second point of flaw here is what does AS EQUATE in the underlined portion of the sentence?
The action sketched, right? But it can easily be mistaken for something else in between like scanning or analyzing (all of which are actions).

So, its only proper to introduce the noun again (A PRACTICE) as in C, which is the answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 07:04
Art historians are trying to find out something about Da Vinci from the two choices(altered since completion and first sketched in black). Hence the usage of whether is correct.
Usage of 'Since' requires a present perfect tense.

Option C.

My First Blog on my GMAT Journey

Arise, Awake and Stop not till the goal is reached

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 7

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 11:33
C...

A and B wrong because of IF

C uses correct tense form Has been with since so c Correct

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2012, 21:05
IMO c

Its a possibility not condition hence whether is required and not if
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 02:44
Art historians are using a process known as infrared scanning in analyzing the Mona Lisa to determine if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done by many artists of the time.
(A) if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done
(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done
(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done

1. If and Whether usage:

The formal rule is to use if when you have a conditional sentence and whether when you are showing that two alternatives are possible.
The correct usage is Whether in the given sentence.
With this rule we can eliminate A and B.
2. Continuous tense usage:
Since indicates continuous tense. So option D (was altered-past tense) can be eliminated

3. Between option C and E, Practice employed is the correct form, than practice done. With this u can choose C.
Answer is C.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:05
kunalm wrote:
Between C & E. I believe Past perfect should be used because the event of "completion of the painting" has already been done. Can anyone explain explicitely ??

There is clue by the use of word "since", that the event started in the past. In the sentence, there is no clue, that the event is closed in the past. The event may be continuing also. C & E can be correct, but C is the answer because of "Practice employed".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 31

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2012, 04:18
C goes the best one.........!!!!!!!!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 03:27
Eden wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
Art historians are using a process known as infrared scanning in analyzing the Mona Lisa to determine if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done by many artists of the time.

(A) if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done
(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done
(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

the question is testing if/whether and modifier
eliminate answers with "if" -C,D and E left
eliminate D because "was" is singular and "artists" is plural
Choose C since a practice employed is better than a practice done

'It' is not reffering to artists. D is wrong because past tense with since is wrong.

C is better option.

IMO C is right.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2012, 03:51
nitya34 wrote:

i pick C here. there is choice in the question so whether must be used. A and B are out. since is used in present perfect tense so D and E are out. i have wild question. is "since" used in past perfect tense ever?

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2012, 03:51
Needs a present perfect and whether

Score C

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Merage '15 (A)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 12

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 05:10

(A) if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done ->"whether" is preferred over "if" and "a practice employed" makes more sense than "as done".
(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed ->"whether" is preferred over "if"
(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed ->"whether" , "practice employed" and correct use of "has been",
(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done -> "as was done"
(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done->had been...since is wrong, past tense is not required.

Hence C
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 65

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 06:51
Its easy to eliminate A and B.
But one takeway from this question. Whenever you spot "Since" with reference to time frame. It must have "Present perfect"
Moreover,Use of has been denotes that the alteration is still present , which is correct with the meaning.

Consider Kudos If my post helps!!

Archit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 35

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:23
Few of the replies here explain why whether is the correct word choice. Here's a great excerpt that details that logic:

Although in informal writing and speech the two words are often used interchangeably, in formal writing, such as in technical writing at work, it's a good idea to make a distinction between them because the meaning can sometimes be different depending on which word you use. The formal rule is to use if when you have a conditional sentence and whether when you are showing that two alternatives are possible. Some examples will make this more clear.

Here's an example where the two words could be interchangeable:

Squiggly didn't know whether Aardvark would arrive on Friday.

Squiggly didn't know if Aardvark would arrive on Friday.

In either sentence, the meaning is that Aardvark may or may not arrive on Friday.

Now, here are some examples where the words are not interchangeable.

Squiggly didn't know whether Aardvark would arrive on Friday or Saturday.

Because I used whether, you know that there are two possibilities: Aardvark will arrive on Friday or Aardvark will arrive on Saturday.

Now see how the sentence has a different meaning when I use if instead of whether:

Squiggly didn't know if Aardvark would arrive on Friday or Saturday.

Now in addition to arriving on Friday or Saturday, there is the possibility that Aardvark may not arrive at all. These last two sentences show why it is best to use whether when you have two possibilities, and that is why I recommend using whether instead of if when you have two possibilities, even when the meaning wouldn't change if you use if. It's safer and more consistent.

Here's a final pair of examples:

Call Squiggly if you are going to arrive on Friday.

Call Squiggly whether or not you are going to arrive on Friday.

The first sentence is conditional. Call Squiggly if you are going to arrive on Friday means Aardvark is only expected to call if he is coming.

The second sentence is not conditional. Call Squiggly whether or not you are going to arrive on Friday means Aardvark is expected to call either way.

So to sum up, use whether when you have two discrete choices or mean "regardless of whether," and use if for conditional sentences.

From: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/if ... ether.aspx
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Reviews Badge
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 09:42
IMO Answer is C. Let me explain why.

There are two errors in this sentence.
First, WHETHER is required instead of IF. IF in GMAT is used for Conditions.
Second, "as done" means that many other artists also sketched the Mona Lisa in black. Instead, 'a practice employed' is correct. It means that the practice of sketching in black was employed by many other artists. INCORRECT

(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed:
This one corrects one error but puts in another one. Using 'IF' instead of 'WHETHER' is not correct. Also, present perfect tense should have been used because the intended meaning is whether the sketch was altered from the time it was made till present. Presence of SINCE is a clear indication here. INCORRECT

(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed: 'Whether' used; 'present perfect tense' used; 'a practice employed' used. All three errors discussed so far have been corrected in this sentence. Let's go through the remaining two before choosing this one.

(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done: Brings back the tense error. Also, uses 'as was' instead of 'a practice employed'. Therefore INCORRECT.

(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done: Past perfect is incorrectly used here. INCORRECT

Hence, C is a clear winner here. This question is also about finding errors in wrong choices rather than searching for one right answer.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 935 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 22:13
nitya34 wrote:

Straight C.
Idiom: to determine whether..... and whether --> narrow down to C, D, E.
D is wrong, because "since completion" --> must use present perfect tense, not past tense; "as was done" is not a good modifier.
E is wrong, same reason like D. "since completion" --> must use present perfect tense, not past perfect tense.
So C is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 23:48
it takes me 5 minutes to get this question right.

tense problem is hard. It is easy to explain and understand tense problem but it is hard to solve the tense problem.

in this problem we have to choose between have done and had done

have done require the time frame (tense of main clause) is present
had done require a past point of time or past action which are is a "mark" , and which happen before the action of had done.

it takes me a long time to choose between c and e. C wins. this is very basic but hard question which typical of real gmat. I like this question because it give me a situation of the real test.
Intern
Intern
Status: Rotterdam Erasmus; McGill Desautels UBC Sauder - Admitted
Schools: ISB, INSEAD, Harvard, Warton

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 33

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 00:06
Ans: c

Classic case of “Split and choose” type question.

Can split on either of two categories:
a) Usage of “if” or “whether”
b) Usage of Present perfect or Past / Past Perfect

Since difficult to choose whether to use “if” or “whether”, went with latter category. Since the Mona Lisa painting was done in past, and historians want to determine whether it has been altered since its first creation, they are going to check any changes till the current date. An action may been performed with its reactions even visible at this point of time. So we need to choose Present Perfect.

Option (a) and (c) left.
Option a: “as done” is the incorrect modifier used to modify the preceding phrase / action (if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black.) . Sketching in black was a practice popularly used by the sculptors in early eras. Option C correctly states this fact.

Give KUDOS if you like the explanation.. :) :)

-- Because beauty Lies in the Eyes.. So donate those eyes :) :)

KUDOS if like the post ... ;)

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 481 [0], given: 196

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:28
Eden wrote:
nitya34 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

the question is testing if/whether and modifier
eliminate answers with "if" -C,D and E left

eliminate D because "was" is singular and "artists" is plural
Choose C since a practice employed is better than a practice done

hi mate your explanation is correct but i think there is one flaw in your explanation i.e D is incorrect because of tense and not because of "WAS"...because it is talking about monalisa painting which is singular.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:42
Quote:
D is incorrect because of tense and not because of "WAS"...because it is talking about monalisa painting which is singular.

this is correct !! u need present perfect here not simple past
Re: Art historians are using a process known as infrared   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2013, 07:42