Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Art historians are using a process known as infrared

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 17

Art historians are using a process known as infrared [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (01:49) correct 42% (00:46) wrong based on 468 sessions
Art historians are using a process known as infrared scanning in analyzing the Mona Lisa to determine if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done by many artists of the time.

(A) if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done
(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed
(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done
(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 10:54
nitya34 wrote:
Art historians are using a process known as infrared scanning in analyzing the Mona Lisa to determine if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done by many artists of the time.

(A) if it has been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as done

(B) if it had been altered since completion and if Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed

(C) whether it has been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice employed

(D) whether it was altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, as was done

(E) whether it had been altered since completion and whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, a practice done

i think C - it uses correct tense
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 11:00
I got screwed on this one - took me 4 minutes.. but like all questions that take so much time. My answer is possibly wrong.

I'll go with A. All other choices have improper usage of tenses.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [9] , given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 11:04
This post received
KUDOS

The structure of sentence clearly implies that scientists are trying to determine something and hence we need to use 'whether'. Secondly, usage of since demands that we use present perfect tense because the action has not completed. Hence C is right..

"The highest result of education is tolerance."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 11:09
Forgot to add one thing since could also be used with past perfect tense but in that case the sentence should indicate that the action has completed at certain point of time before....

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 12:14
Hi mates,

IMO C

A and B out: here "whether" is needed (just the possibility or not)
D out: simple past changes the meaning of the sentence. Also the end is not correct
E out: past perfect is not correct

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 12:42
Yes OA is C
well done!!
These days I am posting the CR & SC Qs from "Paper Test"

so source is cent % authentic :P

Btw, I have one related Query

Can we use "Practice" here?
is it modiifying "black"? or the whole clause ?

whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, , a practice employed

math-polygons-87336.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 17

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 12:49
+1 to you mate
good explanations when you mentioned abt "since" and use of "has been"

its like reading the "Manhattan SC 2008 Book" again and again
jainu wrote:

The structure of sentence clearly implies that scientists are trying to determine something and hence we need to use 'whether'. Secondly, usage of since demands that we use present perfect tense because the action has not completed. Hence C is right..

math-polygons-87336.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2009, 13:00
nitya34 wrote:
Yes OA is C
well done!!
These days I am posting the CR & SC Qs from "Paper Test"

so source is cent % authentic :P

Btw, I have one related Query

Can we use "Practice" here?
is it modiifying "black"? or the whole clause ?

whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black, , a practice employed

Ok ..."the practice" here is not modifying black but "a process" in which a painter first sketches the figure in black which according to question is the phrase "whether Leonardo da Vinci first sketched the figure in black.". Lets say this phrase is X..
Hence question changes to "whether it has been altered since completion and X, a practice employed ".
so u see how to identify what "practice" is referring to...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 10:25
Could someone please explain to me why the tense has to be "has been"? Why not D?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 30

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 10:56
misterchipper wrote:
Could someone please explain to me why the tense has to be "has been"? Why not D?

Thanks

As has been discussed earlier, the usage of since requires present perfect tense because the action has not completed.. 'was altered' is past tense, which is not appropriate here.

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:03
the answer should be E because "since" indicates it is past perfect tense and since it is historians then it will examine the past only therefore it will be "had been" . hence, the answer is E. plz correct me if i am wrong with explanation
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 23:07
nitya34 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
C

the question is testing if/whether and modifier
eliminate answers with "if" -C,D and E left
eliminate D because "was" is singular and "artists" is plural
Choose C since a practice employed is better than a practice done
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 04:29
ya C is correct we can have 2-3 split based on whether n then out of 3 C looks better
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 330 [0], given: 109

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 08:19
+1 C

"Since" requires "has/have" 8-)
E doesn't require past perfect.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 5

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 03:18
+1 for C. I used the last part of the sentence to aid my selection. "a practice employed" is better than "a practice done"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 07:58
Confused between C and E. Messed up the "has been" and "had been". Can someone please explain the difference between the two and when to use what?

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 08:04
the usage of since requires present perfect tense because the action has not completed.. 'was altered' is past tense, which is not appropriate here.

seems this is the acceptable explanation

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 20:58
A-b clearly out.if is used to indicate hypothetical subjunctive.
Whether is used to indicate uncertainty.
D- is incorrect
between C and D choice is tense.C is indicating past event ,but the effect is still on.painting is present.
C is winner
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE: Consulting (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-Art Historians [#permalink] New post 12 May 2011, 23:22
Between C & E. I believe Past perfect should be used because the event of "completion of the painting" has already been done. Can anyone explain explicitely ??
Re: SC-Art Historians   [#permalink] 12 May 2011, 23:22