Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GRE 1: 326 Q161 V165
GPA: 3.1
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 13:58
I think this question is terrible.

Answer (B) is right because of the external fact that high land value implies multistory buildings--this is a fact they expect you to be able to reason. I don't care for this, but I think it'd be more acceptable if E wasn't also defensible using external knowledge.

e.g., E, which I picked:

It reads:
Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make wayfor
construction.

Since the stimulus reads: "in tropical areas bamboo... is always readily available."

And answer E explains that in areas where land values are increasing (which are the areas outlined by the exception in the stimulus), bamboo is NOT readily available, I think it's reasonable to conclude that bamboo is no longer an economical option because the availability--a premise of its economical quality in the first place, is no longer true.

To me, it's MORE reasonable than B, which involves introducing a totally new factoid, while E requires cobbling together pieces of the stimulus and the answer choice. That's what I liked about the LSAT: LSAC could throw out questions that had arguable ambiguity like this one. On the actual GMAT, I wouldn't even know I got this wrong.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 06:02
(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.

Accentuates the paradox. This does not explain why bamboo does not make better economic sense in areas where land values are high.

(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
Initial Thought OFS. But after reading all other choices, this looked better.

Retrospection:

High land value leads to construction of multi storied buildings.( Is not there some element of assumption in this? I am not comfortable having to assume in these kind of questions and particularly in answer choices)

(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.

Some expense does not fully justify not making better sense. Moreover, this has got nothing to do with high land values which is the key for the question.

(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.

Does not explain the paradox.

(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.

It initially made some sense to me since Bamboo may not be available where land values are high since it is cleared. But the word increasing put me off. Moreover, The question talks about economic sense but not about availability.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 10:31
I disagree on the correct answer choice.

Here we are asked to fill in an assumption which connect high land values and not using bamboo.

Answer choice B satisfies the latter and provides us enough reason to not use Bamboo; however, it fails to connect the reason which states "Bamboo should not be used when land values are high".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE: Account Management (Other)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 61

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 10:37
finair wrote:

Here we are asked to fill in an assumption which connect high land values and not using bamboo.

Answer choice B satisfies the latter and provides us enough reason to not use Bamboo; however, it fails to connect the reason which states "Bamboo should not be used when land values are high".

That is my concern here. If we ignore the degree of assumption, we can connect any choice in the world in these connections. However, the assumption here is not too extreme. But I still prefer not making an assumption in evaluating a choice in the resolve the discrepancy problems.

This is OG. I don't know how to take it. But which other choice is better in your opinion?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2013, 11:10
pavan2185 wrote:
finair wrote:

That is my concern here. If we ignore the degree of assumption, we can connect any choice in the world in these connections. However, the assumption here is not too extreme. But I still prefer not making an assumption in evaluating a choice in the resolve the discrepancy problems.

This is OG. I don't know how to take it. But which other choice is better in your opinion?

I went with Option C. Its the only option which refers to an increase in cost. I see all the other options as irrelevant. Option B sounds way out of scope. If the conclusion of the argument was "We should not build build buildings with bamboo" or something similar I would go with B.

I feel this question is way ambiguous.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Booth '18

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 09:47
I don't know whether my reply still counts or not. But why has everyone rejected Option E. The question clearly states:

"Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available."

"Is readily available".So if Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction means Bamboo is not available readily. Hence it is not viable to use.

This makes more sense to me rather than simply assuming high land value = multi storey building.

Bluelagoon wrote:
betterscore wrote:
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often

I haven't seen such a question type where the GMAT boldly asks you to think why for a particular argument.
A) Strengthens the case.
B) Bingo ! this has high probability of being the answer.
C)hmm..doesn't answer our case. Irrelevant.
D)Doesn't answer out question in any way. Out.
E)Incomplete Answer choice.

B wins.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3666 [1] , given: 185

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2013, 18:19
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
tkull wrote:
I don't know whether my reply still counts or not. But why has everyone rejected Option E. The question clearly states:

"Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available."

"Is readily available".So if Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction means Bamboo is not available readily. Hence it is not viable to use.

This makes more sense to me rather than simply assuming high land value = multi storey building.

The problem with your logic is that you are going against the premise, a thing that is not allowed in GMAT. When the premise says that "bamboo is always readily available", an option statement indicating something against it is wrong for the reason that it contradicts the passage.

In addition, this is an official question and the official answer is B, so if you think E is correct, you think GMAC is wrong - not a fruitful way to approach GMAT.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2014, 00:10
Can somebody please update the original post by completing the last option E?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 05:47
You don't build with bamboo, an economically sound material, in areas with high value because it would devalue the land price. You want to increase value by using high quality, expensive materials.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2014, 00:44
my pick is E.

bamboo growing area is decreasing due to high land value, thus the total quantity of bamboo supplied is diminishing, causing the price to roar as well as the supply amount scarce, not suitable for building projects.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Erasmus '15

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2014, 04:16
We need an assumption, which weakens the position of using baboo as a constructiong material. As all stated points about bamboo in the argument were positive.
Consider you have a piece of land on the seashore (expensive $/qm), which can be used to build a hotel on it. But bamboo is not a suitable construction material for multistory buildings. So if you use Bamboo you can build a building with 20 rooms instead of 120 rooms when using steel etc. --> It's a negative point for bamboo. Hence (B)

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

Re: As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2014, 04:16