Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 14:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (02:33) correct 28% (01:25) wrong based on 24 sessions
As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have international experience, so each year it sponsors management education abroad for its management trainees. Hachnut has found, however, that the attrition rate of graduates from this program is very high, with many of them leaving Hachnut to join competing firms soon after completing the program. Hachnut does use performance during the program as a criterion in deciding among candidates for management positions, but both this function and the goal of providing international experience could be achieved in other ways. Therefore, if the attrition problem cannot be successfully addressed, Hachnut should discontinue the sponsorship program.
In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice.

B. The first describes a practice that the argume nt seeks to explain; the second presents part of the argument’s explanation of that practice.

C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.

D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.

E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides evidence for concluding that the policy should be abandoned.
Please explain your answers.

Last edited by fameatop on 22 Sep 2013, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 15:10
eyunni wrote:
As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have
international experience, so each year it sponsors management education abroad for
its management trainees
. Hachnut has found, however, that the attrition rate of
graduates from this program is very high, with many of them leaving Hachnut to join
competing firms soon after completing the program. Hachnut does use performance
during the program as a criterion in deciding among candidates for management positions,
but both this function and the goal of providing international experience could be
achieved in other ways
. Therefore, if the attrition problem cannot be successfully
addressed, Hachnut should discontinue the sponsorship program.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a
judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice.

B. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to explain; the second
presents part of the argument’s explanation of that practice.

C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.

D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.

E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to
evaluate; the second provides evidence for concluding that the policy should be
abandoned.

The answer should be (C). Whats described above is a company practice, not a policy. Moreover, the first argument in bold seeks to evaluate (it doesn't challenge or strengthen the conclusion - fairly neutral). Finally the second argument in bold provides grounds, as opposed to evidence, to conclude that the practice cannot achieve its objective

My GMAT debrief

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 17:05
i think its C as well. First statement is just introducing a fact. Second statement is pretty much saying that the objectives of this practice can be met in other ways, i.e. the current practice isnt working and needs to be stopped.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 0

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 18:11
This post received
KUDOS
I'll go with D.

C seems reasonable but the red flag is the word "the practice cannot achieve its objective". First of all "cannot" is too strong of a word and second the objective of the overseas training is "...managers to have
international experience..." is achieved. An international trip does achieve this objective of providing international experience (at least I think) :lol:

D sounds better for this reason as it clearly states that "the second provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed." It says that the policy is not needed but it never says that it does not achieve it objective.

I agree with the argument about the difference between "practice and policy" but I think in this case we can use them interchangebly.

Maybe, I am wrong but then I never claimed to be right...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 22:24
jay02 wrote:
I'll go with D.

C seems reasonable but the red flag is the word "the practice cannot achieve its objective". First of all "cannot" is too strong of a word and second the objective of the overseas training is "...managers to have
international experience..." is achieved. An international trip does achieve this objective of providing international experience (at least I think) :lol:

D sounds better for this reason as it clearly states that "the second provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed." It says that the policy is not needed but it never says that it does not achieve it objective.

I agree with the argument about the difference between "practice and policy" but I think in this case we can use them interchangebly.

Maybe, I am wrong but then I never claimed to be right...

Good point jay02 -- if you look at the tone, "cannot" is rather strong! +1

My GMAT debrief

Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 367

Kudos [?]: 1851 [0], given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 22:40
Expert's post
D
I also chose between C and D

C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.

D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 07:43
OA is D.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 01:19
Conclusion: Therefore, if the attrition problem cannot be successfully
addressed, Hachnut should discontinue the sponsorship program.

Boldface 1 role: Opposes Main conclusion
Boldface 2 role: Opposes Main Conclusion

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a
judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice. [First describes a practice that argument opposes – eliminate it]

B. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to explain; the second
presents part of the argument’s explanation of that practice. [First describes a practice that argument opposes – eliminate it]

provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.[Second provides an alternative way that practice can be realized – eliminate it]

provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.[Hold it]

E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to
evaluate; the second provides evidence for concluding that the policy should be
abandoned. [First is not a consideration and second does not providence the policy should be abandoned – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [0], given: 531

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 09:13
Between C and D.
C says that "the practice cannot achieve its objective"
D says that "the policy is not needed".

The second boldfaced part tells that the goal .....could be achieved in other way" of if the goal could be achived in other way, thus trainings are not needed , and this does not mean that it can not achive its objectives.
IT CAN! But there are also other ways to achive the same objectives.

D.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 01 May 2011, 11:48
D
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 18:50
+1 for D.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2011, 09:16
D...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Re: CR: Bold face - Management trainees SET 20 Q 17 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2011, 03:43
Between C & D

C says that the first phrase is a practice, however, it is actually a policy..
Also from the second bold phrase it cannot be said that the practice cannot be achieved. However, nothing in argument says anything about achieving something out of the practice. It only states that there are other ways.

D is the answer.

Two great challenges: 1. Guts to Fail and 2. Fear to Succeed

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 299

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 09:49
eyunni wrote:
As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have international experience, so each year it sponsors management education abroad for its management trainees. Hachnut has found, however, that the attrition rate of graduates from this program is very high, with many of them leaving Hachnut to join competing firms soon after completing the program. Hachnut does use performance during the program as a criterion in deciding among candidates for management positions, but both this function and the goal of providing international experience could be achieved in other ways. Therefore, if the attrition problem cannot be successfully addressed, Hachnut should discontinue the sponsorship program.

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice.

B. The first describes a practice that the argume nt seeks to explain; the second presents part of the argument’s explanation of that practice.

C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.

D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.

E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second provides evidence for concluding that the policy should be abandoned.

Chose D over E. For me it was clear that the second bold was a premise, after finding the conclusion. So I narrowed it down pretty quickly.
Now, E is a good contender but let's analyze it more thoroughly, mind you?
"The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate"
It is not actually supporting anything, it is the policy itself. That is why E is out.

D is pretty clear to me. The first is a policy, the second is a premise supporting the main conclusion
Hope it helps
Kudos if you like!
J :)
Re: As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 09:49