Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [0]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was [#permalink]
EducationAisle

for choice a I don't understand the part of speech the word harmless plays. I thought it would be an adjective and thus the core sentence would read:

"Fortunately, neutrinos are elementary particles..." -> and that wouldn't make sense
However, the understanding in this thread is that elementary particles is actually a modifier of harmless so the sentence being read is:
"Fortunately, neutrinos are harmless..." -> Which makes sense

but how do I know which interpretation is valid? strictly following parts of speech would lead me to the first conclusion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Re: As a result of a supernova explosion, every human being on Earth was [#permalink]
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
However, the understanding in this thread is that elementary particles is actually a modifier of harmless

Hi! Can you point me to the specific posts that states the above, so that I get a better context.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
sislam04 wrote:
However, the understanding in this thread is that elementary particles is actually a modifier of harmless

Hi! Can you point me to the specific posts that states the above, so that I get a better context.

This is sort of related to gmatninja's first post in the thread about answer choice A:

And the meaning seems OK to me, too: it is indeed fortunate that neutrinos are harmless and that they interact weakly with matter. If they weren't harmless, we would have been toast thirty years ago, and we never would have experienced the joys of GMAT Club, the Colorado Rockies, snapchat, Game of Thrones, Steph Curry, or Taylor Swift. Keep (A).

My question is he is reading the main sentence as "Fortunately neutrinos are harmless" but I read harmless as an adjective so I stripped it out and read "Fortunately, neutrinos are elementary particles". That statement has nothing to do with being fortunate. So I thought it was illogical. In his post he also points out other answer choices that are wrong because boiled down to their core they say things like "Fortunately, Neutrinos are produced in nuclear reactions".
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sislam04 wrote:
for choice a I don't understand the part of speech the word harmless plays. I thought it would be an adjective and thus the core sentence would read:

"Fortunately, neutrinos are elementary particles..." -> and that wouldn't make sense
However, the understanding in this thread is that elementary particles is actually a modifier of harmless so the sentence being read is:
"Fortunately, neutrinos are harmless..." -> Which makes sense

but how do I know which interpretation is valid? strictly following parts of speech would lead me to the first conclusion

harmless is definitely an adjective, and hence, a modifier. I don't agree that "elementary particles is actually a modifier of harmless"; in fact, it is the other way round.

When we look at a sentence, we need to look at it in entirety, an not after stripping off the adjectives.

For example:

I love red cars.

is obviously a different sentence than:

I love cars..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 261
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello Marty,
I was wondering whether you could shed some light on the following issue regarding answer choice C.
I know that answer choice A has a much better parallelism, but I was wondering how we could eliminate answer choice C, does it have an issue or we just eliminate it because in contrast to A its parallelism is inferior?
Specifically,
- neutrinos are harmless elementary particles (produced in nuclear reactions and which interact very weakly with matter).
a) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions
b) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles which interact very weakly with matter

I think both parts make sense.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UNSTOPPABLE12 wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep
Hello Marty,
I was wondering whether you could shed some light on the following issue regarding answer choice C.
I know that answer choice A has a much better parallelism, but I was wondering how we could eliminate answer choice C, does it have an issue or we just eliminate it because in contrast to A its parallelism is inferior?
Specifically,
- neutrinos are harmless elementary particles (produced in nuclear reactions and which interact very weakly with matter).
a) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions
b) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles which interact very weakly with matter

I think both parts make sense.

Both parts do make sense.

So, (C) isn't a good as (A) because the structure of (C) is a little off.

"elementary particles produced in nuclear reactions" is a pretty cohesive noun phrase. It really has the feel of one unit to it.

Then, "and which ..." comes along and has a whole other feel to it.

In other words, the relationship between "particles" and "produced in nuclear reactions" and the relationship between "particles" and "which interact ..." feel quite different from each other.

So, while the two modifiers are basically parallel, and while each works logically with "particles," the structure is not ideal. The structure in (A) is much more clearly parallel.

Also, while it is not strictly true that "which" cannot be used to begin a restrictive relative clause, the GMAT tends to use "which" in nonrestrictive relative clauses and "that" in restrictive relative clauses. So, the use of "which" at the beginning of a restrictive relative clause, while debatably OK, is a sign that, likely, the question writer doesn't really like (C) as much as (A).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AliciaSierra wrote:
GMATNinja Could you help me understand first "THAT" in option A is referring to Nutrinos or to Elementary Particles? "THAT" always makes me confuse :(

GMATNinja wrote:
Lots of disagreement on this one within the first few hours! I like that. It means we picked a fun one.

As is often the case on official SC questions, this one is mostly about logic and meaning, and the mechanics take a backseat. Fun times. And tricky, in my opinion.

Quote:
(A) neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that

The first thing that catches my eye is the parallelism, and that looks OK: "...neutrinos are harmless elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions and that interact very weakly with matter." Fair enough.

And the meaning seems OK to me, too: it is indeed fortunate that neutrinos are harmless and that they interact weakly with matter. If they weren't harmless, we would have been toast thirty years ago, and we never would have experienced the joys of GMAT Club, the Colorado Rockies, snapchat, Game of Thrones, Steph Curry, or Taylor Swift. Keep (A).

In (A), "that" introduces a noun modifier, which means that it (generally) gives us more information about the noun that comes right before the "that." "Elementary particles" comes right before the "that," so we're modifying "elementary particles."

There are certainly exceptions to this so-called "touch rule," so you do have to be a bit careful when determining exactly what is a violation of the rule. For more info about these exceptions and lots more fun with the word "that," check out this article.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
In (A), "that" introduces a noun modifier, which means that it (generally) gives us more information about the noun that comes right before the "that." "Elementary particles" comes right before the "that," so we're modifying "elementary particles."

There are certainly exceptions to this so-called "touch rule," so you do have to be a bit careful when determining exactly what is a violation of the rule. For more info about these exceptions and lots more fun with the word "that," check out this article.

I hope that helps![

Hi GMATNinja - I thought given "THAT" referred to elementary particles, I eliminated option A

My Reasoning : it cannot be elementary particles that are produced in nuclear reactions. It cannot be elementary particles that interact weakly with matter

It is the neutrino's specifically that are produced in nuclear reactions. It is the neutrino's specifically that interact weakly with matter

Hence i eliminated because "THAT" referred to elementary particles and not neutrino's[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Ram is a guy who is in red shirt.
jabhatta2 is a candidate who is preparing for GMAT.

According to your query, Ram is in red shirt , but not guy.
jabhatta2 is giving GMAT but not a candidate?
I think you get the point.
Similarly, what are neutrinos? neutrinos are elementary particles. Actually one of the elementary particles ( Ram is one of the guy/jabhatta is one of the candidate ). Which one are elementary particles ? The one that are produced in nuclear reaction. We care about specific elementary particles .

I hope it helps.

Hi mSKR - so what you are saying is "THAT" refers to neutrino's and not elementary particles ?

Because GMATNinja said above the opposite, i.e. THAT" referred to elementary particles and not neutrino's

GMATNinja - Please feel free to correct my interpretation of your statement

jabhatta2
Yes, That to refers to elementary particles, but just read the part before elementary particles. The option clearly says that neutrinos, themselves, are elementary particles. In the sentence structure, that refers to elementary particles but look at the overall meaning and not just one particular part of the sentence.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM