Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2004, 16:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

62% (01:28) correct 38% (00:34) wrong based on 60 sessions
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.

A-- As a result of having
B-- As a result of it having
C-- Because they have
D-- Because of having
E-- Because of their having
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 00:04
I am stuck between 'A' and 'D'. But i will go with 'D'.

O.A. Please.

Vipin Gupta

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 05:39
(C) best
"because" is prefer better than "as a result of". The use of "having" is awkward.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 11:10
Between 'A' & 'D', my choice is 'D'.
A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text - so I eliminated 'C' because of the pronoun 'they' to refer to sharks which appears in the latter part of the sentence.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 11:57
rthothad wrote:
Between 'A' & 'D', my choice is 'D'.
A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text - so I eliminated 'C' because of the pronoun 'they' to refer to sharks which appears in the latter part of the sentence.

"They" supposes to refer to "sharks", nothing wrong with that.

Because sharks have nostrils,...
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 12:47
qhoc0010, There is a lot of difference between 'Because sharks have nostrils,..............., they are capable of smelling.....' and 'Because they have nostrils,..............., sharks are capable of smelling.....' - refer to my previous post.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 20:16
OA is C

I really want to understand as to when can the pronoun come before the noun.... as it is used in this case ...

Can someone explain

Simple Living .. High Thinking

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 20:19
A pronoun can never come before the noun it refers. Check out
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns.htm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 20:28
Pronouns do not have to refer to something coming earlier in the passage, they can refer to things coming later in the passage also. rthothad, you missed what the link said: "A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text..." This is not the case when the sentence starts off with an introductory modifier. The passage here needs a personal pronoun in the earlier part, the dependent clause(also introductory modifier) to refer to "sharks" of the independent clause, the latter part.

A and D do not have such a pronoun to link the subject of the introductory modifier to the subject of the latter part "sharks". B has an improper pronoun reference. E improperly use possessive pronoun to refer to "sharks"; we need personal pronoun!

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 20:41
Paul, Yes I overlooked the 'usually' in the link but I am of the view that a pronoun should ALWAYS have an antecedent - because a pronoun is a substitute for a noun and if the pronoun is going to precede a noun the whole point of having a pronoun seems odd - just my observation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2004, 20:59
rthothad wrote:
Paul, Yes I overlooked the 'usually' in the link but I am of the view that a pronoun should ALWAYS have an antecedent - because a pronoun is a substitute for a noun and if the pronoun is going to precede a noun the whole point of having a pronoun seems odd - just my observation.

I disagree with that. To support my view, consider this link: http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/sent ... _placement
Look at the first example given involving Maria. Also, would you consider these following sentences as grammatically wrong?
1- Because they have more developed brains than other animals, apes are considered more intelligent
2- When it launched the project, the firm firmly believed in its viability

As a matter of fact, there are numerous examples of these kind of introductory modifier questions with pronouns referring to subsequent nouns in PR, SC885 and Kaplan.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2004, 03:17
Paul, Thanks for taking your time to explain some things. I am not finished with my OG yet so I am not sure about PR, SC885 and Kaplan. I am going to go look for 'Initial Modifiers' in OG - to convince myself that GMAT does test us on these things.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 92

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 04:08
This post received
KUDOS
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

I am posting this question again because the previous post was inconclusive... :( :?

Could you suggest how to deal with the question?

Category Of SC: EXPRESSION..

Thanks in advance..

Hit kudos if my post is useful.....

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 04:13, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 27

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
domfrancondumas wrote:
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

I am posting this question again because the previous post was inconclusive... :( :?

Could you suggest how to deal with the question?

Category Of SC: EXPRESSION..

Thanks in advance..

Hit kudos if my post is useful.....

A=D and B=E, therefore, C is the only correct choice. It looks like some people are having trouble eliminating A. Try rearranging the sentence.
"Sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water as a result of having nostrils"
"Sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water because they have nostrils"

Please give me kudos :lol:
Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2013, 11:51