Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 73 [1] , given: 60

GMAT Tests User
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 03:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:23) correct 22% (00:16) wrong based on 14 sessions
36. As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

OA will be posted later.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

Re: As a result of having nostrils... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 05:55
DenisSh wrote:
36. As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

OA will be posted later.

Because of having + noun(nostrils) seems to be the correct usage!!

IMO D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 60

GMAT Tests User
Re: As a result of having nostrils... [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 21:30
Official Explanation

This is an example of a Sentence Correction question that explicitly and almost exclusively tests expression. As a result of having is not grammatically offensive, and it works fine with the rest of the sentence, but it is rather wordy and indirect. (B), (D), and (E) share the same basic structure with the imprecise of having expression. An active sentence or phrase starts with the subject (they) and then moves to the verb (have) and object (nostrils). Active expression is generally the most effective expression on the GMAT; always choose it when presented with a grammatically correct option as well. (C) is the best option because it is the most active and the most clear.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: As a result of having nostrils... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 19:33
IMO C...they clearly refer Sharks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: As a result of having nostrils... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 20:48
IMO C....

a,b are out..to awkard and wordy...

Because should introduce adverbial clause....C only do that....
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: -8 [2] , given: 17

Re: As a result of having nostrils... [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
reply2spg wrote:
IMO C...they clearly refer Sharks

I am not a native speaker and in time of seeing the question I did not know the meaning of these words: nostrils , nares , olfactory bulbs.
In my case, how could I find that "they" refers to sharks not the above words which are all plural?

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 1464 [0], given: 245

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:38
Expert's post
@Omidsa:

Quote:
I am not a native speaker and in time of seeing the question I did not know the meaning of these words: nostrils , nares , olfactory bulbs.
In my case, how could I find that "they" refers to sharks not the above words which are all plural?

A nostril is the hole through which breathing takes place. In Sharks the nostril is called nare. Olfactory means relating to smell or odor, just like auditory refers to hearing: But this aside,

The way to check a pronoun’s meaningful antecedence is to replace it with the possible contenders and see which one fits in logically. In this case, try replacing –they - first with nostrils, then with nares and then with bulbs. You can see none of them fits in; whereas, replace they with sharks, you can see how smugly the meaning flows.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: -8 [1] , given: 17

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
A nostril is the hole through which breathing takes place. In Sharks the nostril is called nare. Olfactory means relating to smell or odor, just like auditory refers to hearing: But this aside,

First thanks for your kind reply. As I told before, have checked the meaning of the words after seeing the test. All I want to know is that in case of seeing this kind of questions that have some unknown words for me how could I check the Pronoun?

daagh wrote:
The way to check a pronoun’s meaningful antecedence is to replace it with the possible contenders and see which one fits in logically. In this case, try replacing –they - first with nostrils, then with nares and then with bulbs. You can see none of them fits in; whereas, replace they with sharks, you can see how smugly the meaning flows.

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2012, 09:46