Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a rule, those who work in the book publishing industry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

As a rule, those who work in the book publishing industry [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 04:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
As a rule, those who work in the book publishing industry are underpaid, overworked, and subject to being fired without warning at any time. Moreover, as more and more people turn to computers for both information and entertainment, books are rapidly becoming outdated. It is accordingly inadvisable for young people to choose careers in book publishing.

All of the following are valid objections to the argument above EXCEPT
A) Despite the recent increase in the use of computers, overall book sales have continued to grow
B) Individuals in the publishing industry are no more subject to being fired than are those in many other industries
C) There are numerous fields other than book publishing in which workers are underpaid and overworked
D) For a significant minority, book publishing careers prove to be both enjoyable and lucrative
E) Those interested in leterary endeavors find book publishing to be an ideal working environment

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 05:35
cbrf3 wrote:
E??
could you please justify your answer?

Best Regards,

Paul

SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 08:33
I would go with D. Its says that only few find it interesting and lucrative, which, I feel, is a solid way to day that it is not a godd business for majority. May be it is good only for some writers, editors and not for say printers, proof-readers et cetera. I don't see an objection in D

E says that some find it interesting. which is kind of an objection that those who want to go in this career will go there. OA please.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR Publishing industry [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 09:05
Paul wrote:
As a rule, those who work in the book publishing industry are underpaid, overworked, and subject to being fired without warning at any time. Moreover, as more and more people turn to computers for both information and entertainment, books are rapidly becoming outdated. It is accordingly inadvisable for young people to choose careers in book publishing.

A) Despite the recent increase in the use of computers, overall book sales have continued to grow
B) Individuals in the publishing industry are no more subject to being fired than are those in many other industries
C) There are numerous fields other than book publishing in which workers are underpaid and overworked
D) For a significant minority, book publishing careers prove to be both enjoyable and lucrative
E) Those interested in leterary endeavors find book publishing to be an ideal working environment

Good question
For me, it came down to D or C (E is out because this is an except question, and E is a valid argument for the argument above)

now, back to D and C
C basically says that there plenty of other fields out there where life sucks
D, if re-written, would say 'most people do NOT find publishing careers to be enjoyable and lucrative'
hence it's D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 09:35
I vote for C. "There are several other fields that are just as bad" I don't see this as having an relevance to the argument, so what if other fields are as bad? They probably aren't advisable to be in anyway. Who cares! It has not baring on the entry into THIS field.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 13:25
SigEpUCI wrote:
I vote for C. "There are several other fields that are just as bad" I don't see this as having an relevance to the argument, so what if other fields are as bad? They probably aren't advisable to be in anyway. Who cares! It has not baring on the entry into THIS field.

You could be right on this. I just don't like the quality of this question altogether, I think the choices presented here are (c and d) both have a shot at being the correct choice
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 19:46
E. Finding it an ideal enviroment does not dispute the fact that they will be overworked, underpaid and fired at any moment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2004, 22:39

(Looking for statement that supports the conclusioni.e . they should not take a career in book industry). Let us eliminate by TAKE/NOT TAKE

A) Despite the recent increase in the use of computers, overall book sales have continued to grow - TAKE- Out

B) Individuals in the publishing industry are no more subject to being fired than are those in many other industries - Take or Not take, does not matter. 50 - 50- OUT

C) There are numerous fields other than book publishing in which workers are underpaid and overworked - Out - this statement says, regardless of the industry, there are underpaid workers, similar to the book industry. Hence choosing other career will not matter. Well, close enough to be the right choice.- Take or Not take, does not matter. 50 - 50.- OUT

D) For a significant minority, book publishing careers prove to be both enjoyable and lucrative - NOT TAKE - Only for a small number of people is this profession lucrative. Hence this is the right choice.

E) Those interested in leterary endeavors find book publishing to be an ideal working environment- Out of scope. Does not say anything specific. -OUT

Giving another SHOT

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 07:55
OA is A
OE: Choice A is irrelevant to the conclusion of the passage, since the author claims only that "those involved in publishing" ought to read Publishers Weekly; he makes no assertions about anyone else.

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 10:05
I am baffled :shock:

chose C; still don't understand how A is better
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 10:10
Hi Paul

I am unable to understand why A is the best choice. ?. Could you highlight the reason(s).

Thanks

Giving another SHOT

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:49
We are looking for an objection so that it is not advisable to work in the publishing industry (PI)
A) out of scope
B) As a rule, those who work in the book publishing industry are underpaid, overworked, and subject to being fired without warning at any time --> if B is true, then it is not true that working in the PI makes you more prone of being fired without warning at any time
C) those who work in the book publishing industry are underpaid, overworked --> PI is not the only field of being underpaid nor overworked; many others are. I agree that this one is weak an attack on the author's claim. However, given that A is out of scope, it is it.
D) those who work in the book publishing industry are underpaid --> not all are underpaid. Again, I find this weak an attack because of the significant minority claim.
E) It is accordingly inadvisable for young people to choose careers in book publishing. --> If people like it as E says, then it cannot be "inadvisable" for them not to pursue a career in PI

Just for the record, I picked E here.
Alright, that's it, enough with Peterson's CR questions. I posted this string of CR because I wanted to see if it were normal that I missed so many of them or that I found them ambiguous. A few of them are ok but this is just overwhelming. Thank you for participating and confirming my doubt. I may perhaps write my little review on their material :)

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:52
Actually, A could weaken the argument

A) as more and more people turn to computers for both information and entertainment, books are rapidly becoming outdated --> it is not true as book sales have continued to grow. The only argument to explain this is the OE given previously :stupid

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:53
is this a Peterson's question?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:57
Yes Sige :cry:

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 11:59
Paul wrote:
Actually, A could weaken the argument

A) as more and more people turn to computers for both information and entertainment, books are rapidly becoming outdated --> it is not true as book sales have continued to grow. The only argument to explain this is the OE given previously :stupid

I am sure this wasn't the normal reasoning. seems like Peterson's is trying to get an edge over Kaplan. weirdo!!! :fart

thanks God, peterson's is not the official test taker. :wink:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 13:41
Paul

I am sure most of the book might be ok, but i strongly recommend that you stick to OG and LSAT for CR/RC. The standardized questions from OG/LSAT will atleast have good quality.

Praet
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 14:18
I've looked through other portions of the Petersons book and have been equally disatissfied.

I actually have a book from my TestMasters class called the Logical Reading Oddessey. It is a collection of 400 CR from actual LSATs. I'll begin peppering those around here and there in the Verbal Forum shortly.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2004, 15:29
SigEpUCI wrote:
I've looked through other portions of the Petersons book and have been equally disatissfied.

I actually have a book from my TestMasters class called the Logical Reading Oddessey. It is a collection of 400 CR from actual LSATs. I'll begin peppering those around here and there in the Verbal Forum shortly.

Hey SigEP

I am sure it will be a great help to a lot of members. thanks a lot.

Sincerely
Praetorian
  [#permalink] 20 Aug 2004, 15:29