Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [93]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [31]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [9]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [2]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degrad [#permalink]
Kudos
Stuck between A and B and chose B, can someone please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [2]
Send PM
Re: As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degrad [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Exactly my problem. And the explanation doesn't help clear the fog either.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:

In my opinion,

3,4,5 is out coz "As" is used before the noun however, As must be used with clause.
Now, between 1 & 2--

the sentence structure implies present tense it is better to compare two present scenario rather than one past---as it makes more sense.with the context.
Hence,1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Exactly my problem. And the explanation doesn't help clear the fog either.

A better explanation struck my mind.

We use accelerating here, we are talking about an ongoing phenomenon ... growing, hence accelerating should be used instead of accelerated, which is an action which is completed.

Hope it helps :)

I don't really disagree, because you make sense. But this is exactly the confusing bit. How can we really argue that climate change hasn't accelerated?

And now that we have some responses, maybe it will be useful to you guys to note that the explanation to this question says, "Accelerated climate change is grammatically incorrect".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Can someone please shed some more light between choices A and B? ing is a modifier and does not show ongoing event, it rather takes the time frame of main verb of sentence. even ed is a modifier - both are known to modify nouns then what is the rationale of choosing A over B?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [8]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bev wrote:
Can someone please shed some more light between choices A and B? ing is a modifier and does not show ongoing event, it rather takes the time frame of main verb of sentence. even ed is a modifier - both are known to modify nouns then what is the rationale of choosing A over B?

Well, pqhai (three posts above) has already explained the criteria to choose between accelerating and accelerated.

Consider the below two sentences:

a) The climates changes accelerated by the soil erosion has become a havoc for the farmers of the Indus valley. -> What caused the acceleration in climate changes = soil erosion
b) The accelerating car hit the truck before plunging into the valley. -> There is no mention in the sentence who caused the acceleration, since the car was accelerating by itself and the word accelerating just adds additional information.

Now in the sentence:
As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degradation create growing alarm across the planet, the Sami people have much to teach the world about how to adapt, survive, and thrive.

The verb create is a hint of compound subject and the sentence shows two factors:
a) Accelerating climate change (climate change which is increasing by itself)
b) man-made environmental degradation

Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My two cents -

A. As accelerating climate change ----indicates an on-going event---- accelerating is an adverb modifying adjective climate that in turn modifies the action noun change
B. As accelerated climate change ---- accelerated is used as an adjective that cannot modify another adjective climate...

Please correct me if i am wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [5]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degradations create growing alarm across the planet, the Sami people have much to teach the world about how to adapt, survive, and thrive.

A. As accelerating climate change
    B. As accelerated climate change
    C. As climate change accelerates
    D. As climate change is accelerated
    E. As climate changes are accelerated

I couldn't find a reasonable explanation in the guide I am solving from.

Can someone help with a good explanation?

C, D, and E can be eliminated because when we join two independent clauses, we need a comma.
A and B are both correct; however, there is a change in meaning.
A is the correct answer because we need to keep the meaning of the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
bev wrote:

A and B are both correct; however, there is a change in meaning.
A is the correct answer because we need to keep the meaning of the original sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: IIM Bangalore
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [0]
Given Kudos: 326
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degrad [#permalink]
Quote:
As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degradations create growing alarm across the planet, the Sami people have much to teach the world about how to adapt, survive, and thrive.

First Split: Here the main point is to understand whether the alarm is created by both climate change and env degradation, or is it created only by env degradations. The answer is surely the first case. U can comfortably ignore C, D and E
Second Split: Accelerated vs Accelerating, though both sound correct the meaning creates clear segregation amongst both of these. Let us see it in the option analysis below

Quote:
A. As accelerating climate change

Accelerating refers to current climate change, growth of which is increasing at a constant rate. Looks ok. We can hold on to it and check whether there are any better other options

Quote:
B. As accelerated climate change

Accelerated here refers to an event of past. There is a verb tense mismatch here. climate change was accelerated in the past and concern is growing now. Think of the structure like As X creates growing awareness.... Here X also has to be in the present tense, keeping X in past makes no logical/grammatical sense to the sentence. Hence we can surely strike this option off

Quote:
C. As climate change accelerates
D. As climate change is accelerated

E. As climate changes are accelerated[/quote]

All C, D and E are wrong for the reason stated above. Climate change and environmental degradations, both create growing alarm and not just environmental degradation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
As accelerating climate change and other man-made environmental degrad [#permalink]