Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 0

As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (medium)

Question Stats:

32% (01:56) correct 68% (01:09) wrong based on 290 sessions
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Official Guide 12 Question

GMAT Official Guide 12

Question: 49
Page: 44
Difficulty: 600

Find All Official Guide Questions

Video Explanations:
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 11:06
I would stick to the original sentence as it is sound as a pound :)

D) and E) are out since the beginning of the sentence modifies a person and these choices do not closely put Stella to the modifying phrase.

C) contains some unnesseccary words at the end of the sentence and sounds awkward as well with "whose ranks include"....

and in B) "several generations of actors" is plural... -> which right?

:D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Stella Adler [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 11:32
I pick A.

Eliminate D and E because the name should refer to the preceding description

B - who is placed incorrectly at the end, should be at the begining to modify the name

C - "training" uses the wrong tense

kimmyg wrote:
As an actress, and more importantly as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.
(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trainer several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella, Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 15:52
I pick on A.
C and E use the participle 'included', which is wrong, D is awkward, and B suggests that it is the actors that include something.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 17:20
A for sure. This is a modifier question in which the subordinate clause needs to begin with "who."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2005, 17:37
We need the noun to come first in this sentence. So D and E are out.
B - 'actors who include' is wrong
C - 'who ranks included' is lengthy and awkward
A is the best choice
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 06:18
This post was
BOOKMARKED
OA is C

I'm copying the OE from the book ...it's from the OG 11th Edition

The original sentence contains a number of modifiers, but not all of them are correctly expressed. The clause who trained describes Stella Adler, yet a relative clause such as this one must be placed immediately after the noun or pronoun it modifies, and this clause follows theatre rather than Adler. Replacing who trained with training corrects the error because the phrase training...modifies the whole preceding clause rather than the single preceding noun. Several generations of actors including shows the same error in reverse; including modifies the whole phrase, but the two actors named are not generations of actors. The more limiting whose ranks included (referring to actors) is appropriate here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 06:24
Good question...i conveniently glazed over the "theater" section...and automatically assumed who was referring to the person.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 17:30
Great question!. Good explanations. Know this concept cold. This gets tested so often on GMAT

Praveen

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Stella Adler [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2005, 19:37
i think i have seen this earlier, but i donot remember exactly where i have seen it. any way, its a good question,

However OA is posted, i was among AB and C because D and E are easily ruled out since they donot properly modify the nounpharse, an actress.

Among ABC, A is also easily ruled out because "who" in A cannot clearly refer Stella Adler and refers to theater, which cannot be refered by who.

Actually, i was between B and C. C also looked strange for me but "who include" in B is even more strange. So C remains.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 06:30
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert de Niro.

(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including

(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Stella Adler [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2005, 07:11
Initially i also thought B but "include" is not correct verb form. it should be "included". so C remains the best, however "whose ranks" is little confusing.

ADE are easily ruled out.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 10:32
I cannot even guess on this one. Should be either B or C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Stella Adler [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 10:45
sandalphon wrote:
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert de Niro.

Between B and C, i would go for C ....i think " whose" modifies " generations" ..."generation" is a kind of ranking( according to ages,etc...) ...and the two actors were of two different ranks/ generations.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Eliminate D and E, because it's awkward, and the subject should be as close to the modifier as possible. in D and E, this is not the case.
among ABC.. mhm I go for C, despite the awkward sounding ranks included. But the problem with A and B is the part "who trained several generations of actors"

The sentence says, that Mrs Adler trained generations of actors. Thus B would be correct if it said: trained several generations of actors, which include.. this would help to refer to the correct subject (generations) and not actors.

C takes care of this problem, but chosing a rather bad solution.

A says, that marlon brando and robert de niro were a generation... Stella trained several generations of actors, including marlon brando and robert de niro... this also sounds wrong to me.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 10:48
btw, I double-check :P ...Robert was born in 1943 ....Brando 1924 ....clearly they were from two different generations :wink:
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2005, 10:57
OA is C.

who trained must follow immediately after the noun or pronoun it modifies so A is wrong. (who trained refers to Stella Adler )

B is wrong because the verbs must be consistently in past tense and include breaks that rule. B is also wrong because including modifies whole phrase (generation of actors) however only two actors must be modified.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

og sentence correction # 49 diagnostic [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 20:29
49. As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro

a. same Is the problem here that the theatres trained the several generations?

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include (Is the problem here that the theatres trained the several generations?)

c. Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors, whose ranks included (but here doesn’t it look as if the theater was training the generations?) How does training fix the error?
d. One of the most influential artist in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
e. One of the most influential artist in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: og sentence correction # 49 diagnostic [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 20:51
Please underline. At least format for better presentation.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: og sentence correction # 49 diagnostic [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2008, 22:32
49. As an Actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting,[b] Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including[/b] Marlon Brando and Robert Deniro

a. same Is the problem here that the theatres trained the several generations?

b. Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include (Is the problem here that the theatres trained the several generations?)

c. Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors, whose ranks included (but here doesn’t it look as if the theater was training the generations?) How does training fix the error?
d. One of the most influential artist in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
e. One of the most influential artist in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included
Re: og sentence correction # 49 diagnostic   [#permalink] 31 Jan 2008, 22:32