Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2396 [876]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [214]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [136]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2396 [45]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
OA is C

I'm copying the OE from the book ...it's from the OG 11th Edition

The original sentence contains a number of modifiers, but not all of them are correctly expressed. The clause who trained describes Stella Adler, yet a relative clause such as this one must be placed immediately after the noun or pronoun it modifies, and this clause follows theatre rather than Adler. Replacing who trained with training corrects the error because the phrase training...modifies the whole preceding clause rather than the single preceding noun. Several generations of actors including shows the same error in reverse; including modifies the whole phrase, but the two actors named are not generations of actors. The more limiting whose ranks included (referring to actors) is appropriate here.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
kimmyg wrote:
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including

(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include

(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included

(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including

(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater because she trained several generations of actors whose ranks included Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Grammatical Construction + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro“; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro were individually a generation of actors that Stella Adler trained; the intended meaning is that Stella Adler trained many generations of actors, and these generations included Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

B: This answer choice incorrectly places information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence – the fact that Stella Adler was “one of the most influential artists in the American theater“ – between two commas; please remember, information needed to maintain the core meaning of the sentence must not be placed between two commas.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrases “whose ranks included”, conveying the intended meaning – that Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater because she trained several generations of actors whose ranks included Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro. Further, Option C avoids the grammatical construction error seen in Options B and E, as it places no information between commas. Additionally, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase “several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro“; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro were individually a generation of actors that Stella Adler trained; the intended meaning is that Stella Adler trained many generations of actors, and these generations included Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro. Further, Option D uses the passive voice construction “one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler,”, leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly places information that is important to the core meaning of the sentence – the fact that Stella Adler was “one of the most influential artists in the American theater“ – between two commas; please remember, information needed to maintain the core meaning of the sentence must not be placed between two commas.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Extra Information Between Commas" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Thank you for explaining the options, i was really confused between C and B, just one questions though: in your example about B (I have a lot of friends who include Dave and Jim.) if you substitute "who" for "including" would the sentence then clearly describe dave and jim as a part of the group, another question is the relative pronoun always ambiguous when it's referring to a genitive phrase( 's or <of phrase>).
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Elevinty,

So I'm not 100% sure exactly what you meant here, but I'll try my best.

For your first question, I believe you were asking if the sentence said "I have a lot of friends including Dave and Jim", would that make sense. I would argue no, that the word "including" seems to be modifying friends, so it remains unclear if my friends make an effort to include Dave and Jim, or if the category I'm calling friends includes them. Much better to have some term like "ranks" to obliterate the confusion.

As for your other question, "Is the relative pronoun always ambiguous when referring to a possessive (I won't say genitive...you've been studying too much Latin, or German)?", I'm not sure what you mean. Perhaps is the sentence "The dog of John's whom I saw yesterday is pretty." You're saying that the "whom" phrase could be referring to John or Dog? Actually, we would consider that pretty clear, because "of John's" is a modifier, and John's is really just an adjective. I won't lie to you, it's still a little unclear, but I wouldn't cross it out for that reason, and I can't imagine the GMAT ever making a question contingent on JUST that issue. In this sentence, it's not a possessive issue so much as a meaning issue. There are two readings of "include", and we can't work out what MEANING is implied.

If that didn't answer your question, feel free to ask again!

-tommy
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
papillon86 wrote:
As an actress and, more importantly, as a teacher of acting, Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including Marlon Brando and Robert De Niro.

(A) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including
(B) Stella Adler, one of the most influential artists in the American theater, trained several generations of actors who include
(C) Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, training several generations of actors whose ranks included
(D) one of the most influential artists in the American theater was Stella Adler, who trained several generations of actors including
(E) one of the most influential artists in the American theater, Stella Adler, trained several generations of actors whose ranks included

Please support with explantions!!
I think the OA is incorrect for this question....So plz discuss

Thanks

Indeed (C). Good explanation, MBAhereIcome.

We do want "Stella" in the first part so that gets rid of (D) and (E).

We're left with (A), (B), and (C). (A) almost implies the "theater" who trained....- so the positioning of the word is not right.
(B) is close, but as noted above, "actors who include" implies that the list of people following that phrase belong to the several generations of actors. This is not the case. Now this phrasing might be common in everyday language, but for GMAT purposes that's not what we want.

The phrasing in (C) is better: "several generations of actors whose ranks included"
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [19]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kimmyg wrote:

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I'll say is --- after the long introductory phrase before the underlined part, it's very natural to expect the name right away. Choice (D) & (E) are awkward in that they delay the name even further. Stella Adler is the focus of the sentence, the star of this particular sentence, so we want to get to her. Just as it wouldn't make sense to have a 3 hour movie in which we meet the star of the movie only in the last 30 minutes, so it doesn't make sense for the subject & focus of a sentence to be unnecessarily buried further & further in the sentence. That's one problem with (D) & (E). We will reject both of those.

Trainwreck modifier mistake!! The phrase beginning with "who" is an ordinary noun modifier, modifying the subject, Stella Adler. Noun modifiers much touch the noun they modifier. This is incorrect.

Most of this is good, until the end. We get a weird shift in verb tense in the final verb --- everything in the sentence is past tense until we get to present test "include." Why is this last verb in the present tense? That simply doesn't make sense with the rest of the sentence. This is incorrect.

Brilliant! I have to say, as someone who regularly writes GMAT SC practice questions, I am always impressed by the brilliance of the folks at GMAC. This one is 100% correct. Unlike the "who" modifier in (A), the "training" modifier is a little more flexible ---- it can be thought of as modifying the entire independent clause, so it doesn't need to "touch" anything. The truly brilliant part is --- the sentence creates the expectation that the underlined section would end:
... several generations of actors, including ...
That would have been perfectly correct. Of course, if we just replaced the active participle "including" with the passive participle "included", that would be entirely incorrect:
...several generations of actors, included ...
Instead, the folks at GMAC came up with this very clever alternative:
...several generations of actors whose ranks included...
This is different from what one might have expected, but it's 100% correct. Here, the word "included" is not a participle, but a full bonafide verb, the verb of the clause beginning with "whose ranks." Because this structure was unexpected and less familiar, I see that many folks on this page rejected choice (C). That's the sign of a very well written question, if the correct answer is something that many people thing sounds wrong.

OA = (C)

laxieqv wrote:
btw, I double-check :P ...Robert was born in 1943 ....Brando 1924 ....clearly they were from two different generations

I don't know whether laxieqv, who posted that comment 9 years ago, is still following this post, but just FYI, in the first Godfather movie, Marlon Brando plays the elderly father Vito Corleone, and in the following, Godfather II, Robert Di Nero (a generation younger than Brando), played the young Vito Corleone in the flashback portions. I highly recommend both of those movies as classics.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry,

Trainwreck modifier mistake!! The phrase beginning with "who" is an ordinary noun modifier, modifying the subject, Stella Adler. Noun modifiers much touch the noun they modifier. This is incorrect.

Regarding the modifier 'who' in your explanation for choice 'A',I have some doubt.Please consider the below ex:
a box of nails,which is on the floor.In this case which refers to box and not nails.
So that means its not necessary to have 'which' adjacent to the noun its modifying.

another ex from OG:
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

correct answer includes
later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were

Here 'which' refers to the hearings.
So based on the above examples cant I say it is similar to 'who' too.

'who' need not be placed immediately after the noun its describing.so here who can still modify stella. Isnt it right?

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thank you
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [11]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kona wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Regarding the modifier 'who' in your explanation for choice 'A',I have some doubt.Please consider the below ex:
a box of nails,which is on the floor.In this case which refers to box and not nails.
So that means its not necessary to have 'which' adjacent to the noun its modifying.

another ex from OG:
Although she had been known as an effective legislator first in the Texas Senate and later in the United States House of Representatives, not until Barbara Jordan’s participation in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon in 1974 was she made a nationally recognized figure, as it was televised nationwide.

correct answer includes
later in the United States House of Representatives, Barbara Jordan did not become a nationally recognized figure until 1974, when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were

Here 'which' refers to the hearings.
So based on the above examples cant I say it is similar to 'who' too.

'who' need not be placed immediately after the noun its describing.so here who can still modify stella. Isnt it right?

Please correct me if I am wrong

Thank you

Dear Kona,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Here, we are running into the distinction of vital vs. non-vital modifiers (a.k.a restrictive vs. non-restrictive, or mission-critical vs. non-mission-critical). See:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/

A vital noun modifier can come between a noun and an ordinary modifier. They constitute an important exception to the Modifier Touch Rule. A vital noun modifier is "vital" for establishing the identity of the noun. For example:
... a box of nails,which is on the floor.
In this sentence, "of nails" is a vital noun modifier, because without it, the "box" could be any generic box --- a shoe box, a match box, a tissue box, a refrigerator box, etc. We have no idea. We need "of nails" to tell us exactly what kind of box. Because "of nails" is a vital noun modifier, it can come between the noun "box" and the modifying clause starting with "which."

Similarly, in
.... when she participated in the hearings on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, which were televised nationwide.
In this sentence, "hearings" by itself would tell us nothing --- Congress has hearing all the time. If we add "on the impeachment", then it's a little more specific, although a few different figures have been up on possible impeachment charges in history, so this alone is not enough to guarantee the exact identify of the hearings. If we add the whole modifier, "on the impeachment of President Richard Nixon" --- OK, now we know exactly which hearings we are discussing. That entire phrase is necessary to establish the identity of the noun. It's a vital noun modifier, which means it can enjoy the privilege of coming between the noun "hearing" and the clause starting with "which". This is a valid exception to the Modifier Touch Rule.

BUT
Stella Adler was one of the most influential artists in the American theater, who trained several generations of actors including ...
Look at what comes between the noun "Stellla Adler" and the "who" clause: a verb and everything that follows the verb (that's called the "predicate"). We absolutely are not allowed to put a full bonafide verb or verb + predicate between a noun and its modifier. That is a grossly incorrect violation of the Modifier Touch Rule. That's why this answer choice should be taken out back and shot.

The Modifier Touch Rule is an important rule. It's not absolute, but it is important. We can't just shove any words we like between an noun and its modifier. The only thing we can put in there is a vital noun modifier that is essential for establishing the identity of the noun. This is a crucial distinction to understand for the GMAT SC.

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
kimmyg wrote:
OA is C

I'm copying the OE from the book ...it's from the OG 11th Edition

The original sentence contains a number of modifiers, but not all of them are correctly expressed. The clause who trained describes Stella Adler, yet a relative clause such as this one must be placed immediately after the noun or pronoun it modifies, and this clause follows theatre rather than Adler. Replacing who trained with training corrects the error because the phrase training...modifies the whole preceding clause rather than the single preceding noun. Several generations of actors including shows the same error in reverse; including modifies the whole phrase, but the two actors named are not generations of actors. The more limiting whose ranks included (referring to actors) is appropriate here.

hi, all of you. I am a person failing on gmat for many years. and I do not stay here to say that something is bad. but I have to say that the explanation in og is wrong. this is vietnamese way of saying. in english, I should say, I do not think the explanation in og is right. which kind of saying is considered insulting depend on the culture you are in.

a similar sentence in og is " though it is called sea, lake on earth, covering..." . you pdf serch to find this question in og13. in this question, the explantion in og is also wrong. there is one smilar question in gmatprep, but I do not remember. we can find the similar question in gmatprep by using "find" fuction in pdf file of gmatprep question to find "which"

"which clause" touching the noun modified is prefered than "which clause"not touching. we choose touching "which clause" if the two choices are different only in placing, touching or not touching the noun modified. many tens questions in og and in The Economist and The newyorktime , contain "which clause" far from the noun modified. even e-gmat present an article of this pattern of modifier. you can find the article in this forum.

in short, we can not use touching rule of noun modifier to eliminate the wrong answer here. "which clause" conveys different meaning and "comma+doing convey different meaning. Ron in manhantan forum explained this problem in a similar question in gmatprep in the manhantan forum.

this question presents a situation, in which two grammatical choices are not illogic. we can not find grammatical error and logic error in both choices. similar question in gmatprep is "lighting in the home..."
which choice we choose.

I want the expert to jump into and help us.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
hi, all of you. I am a person failing on gmat for many years. and I do not stay here to say that something is bad. but I have to say that the explanation in og is wrong. this is vietnamese way of saying. in english, I should say, I do not think the explanation in og is right. which kind of saying is considered insulting depend on the culture you are in.

a similar sentence in og is " though it is called sea, lake on earth, covering..." . you pdf serch to find this question in og13. in this question, the explantion in og is also wrong. there is one smilar question in gmatprep, but I do not remember. we can find the similar question in gmatprep by using "find" fuction in pdf file of gmatprep question to find "which"

"which clause" touching the noun modified is prefered than "which clause"not touching. we choose touching "which clause" if the two choices are different only in placing, touching or not touching the noun modified. many tens questions in og and in The Economist and The newyorktime , contain "which clause" far from the noun modified. even e-gmat present an article of this pattern of modifier. you can find the article in this forum.

in short, we can not use touching rule of noun modifier to eliminate the wrong answer here. "which clause" conveys different meaning and "comma+doing convey different meaning. Ron in manhantan forum explained this problem in a similar question in gmatprep in the manhantan forum.

this question presents a situation, in which two grammatical choices are not illogic. we can not find grammatical error and logic error in both choices. similar question in gmatprep is "lighting in the home..."
which choice we choose.

I want the expert to jump into and help us.

Dear thangvietnam,
My friend, I am happy to respond. :-)

First of all, keep in mind that the explanations in the OG are not ideal. The questions themselves have been rigorously tested over the course of decades and uniformly conform to the highest standards. By contrast, the explanations have not be tested, have not be vetted, have been subject to little or no feedback. They were NOT even written by the same people: questions in the OG were probably written 20 years ago, and explanations were probably written a couple years ago. Many of the explanations are OK, but some aren't. It's important to appreciate the tremendous difference in quality between the official questions and the official explanations.

Now, the issue of the Modifier Touch Rule is very tricky. The simple statement is that a noun modifier must touch the noun it modifiers. There are all sorts of exceptions to this rule. You can read a little about this here:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

I will introduce some terminology.
The noun-modifier that is the -ing form of a verb is called a participle.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/participle ... -the-gmat/
Words such as "who," "which," "that," etc. are called relative pronouns, and they begin relative clauses.
Participles are particularly tricky, because they can be noun-modifies or they can modify a verb or an entire clause. Relative pronouns definitely cannot modify anything other than a noun. Also, even when both are acting as noun modifiers, the participles have a little more liberty. For example, if we have the structure
[subject][main verb][blah blah blah long phrase], [noun modifier] . . .
then if that noun modifier is a participle, this sound very natural, and it's grammatically & logically clear that it refers to the subject; but if the noun modifier in the same position is a relative clause, it sounds a bit awkward, especially if other nouns follow the main verb. If the [noun][verb] part is short and not followed by much, we can use a relative clause to modify the subject, but the longer the first phrase is, the more out of place the relative pronoun would sound.

Here's the question with choices (A) & (C).

This is a very subtle point, and hard for non-native speakers to appreciate, but the structure in (C), [noun][verb][blah blah], "training," sounds so natural and clear, whereas something sounds a little off about (A).

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Thank you
there are many similar questions in og and gmatprep, one of them, "though called sea, covering...".

so, we need to find the clear reason to eliminate the choice A.

if we eliminate choice A without clear reason, we live on the luck.

business manager/leaders, who direct the big flow of money and human resourse do not live on luck.

thing over this question over and over again and come here again with better explanation to help us. dont walk away,

A is grammatical and contain no logic error. why A is wrong?

who can give us perfect explanation of this choice A will receive 3 usd from each of us, persons in the gmatprep forum. total amount could be 6000 usd. it is worth doing so
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28571 [2]