Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 04:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (02:09) correct 50% (00:44) wrong based on 5 sessions
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the conclusion above?

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Please explain as well
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 04:22
E!!
"As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions" -- and answer E supports this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: INSEAD Dec'10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 06:39
D is right out. A, B and C are tempting and might even be correct, only the best answer is E. Good question.

http://applicant.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 06:42
E for me.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 451 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2008, 08:58
Nihit wrote:
As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Please explain as well

B is tempting...

But will go for E.

Conclusion: Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations
premises: is an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions

will take B:
Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders, During his years as a labor leader.
This may be one of the required quality for the "new council on business-labor relations".
He may lack other qualities.

I can say B is not linking "Conclusion" and "Premises" strongly.

will take E:
An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

premises: He is experienced labor organizer and head of LU. So he understands the problems of labor ---> this is qualification for chair--> So he is the best/excellent choice.

what is OA.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 02:47
OA is E
VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 12:51
I remember quite some debate on this Q in the past.

I chose B in the past because I felt that for some one to succeed in a position that handles 2 sides of things, he/she needs to manage both sides properly

As x2suresh said, B is the tempting answer that lets us get our imagination into the Q.

E establishes the relation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: La Martiniere for Boys
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2009, 09:42
Why not D???

If most members are from the business side then someone from the labour side is also needed

Thanks
rampuria

Director
Director
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2009, 07:17
STRENTHENing Question

"As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one of the nation’s most powerful labor unions, Grayson is an excellent choice to chair the new council on business-labor relations.

(A) The new council must have the support of the nation’s labor leaders if it is to succeed.--not so strong
(B) During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders--OUT
(C) The chair of the new council must be a person who can communicate directly with the leaders of the nation’s largest labor unions.---Important...could be the reason??but only "communication"??OUT too
(D) Most of the other members of the new council will be representatives of business management interests.--OOS
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council."--its important..
is it E?

math-polygons-87336.html
competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 17:58
(A) not so strong
(B) Assumption that the relation will help him
(C) ---Important...could be the reason??but only "communication"?? communication is also important
(D) --OOS
(E) An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council."--its important. but why is he excellent for this post. any body who understand the issue could become the chair person???

Why is it E then?

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 16:49
I got E too
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: labor organizer [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 02:44
IMO E.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 11

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 13:59
I find option (e) very ambiguous. Though it tells how the chairperson be and what are the qualities desired for this post, in no way the option tells the person is Grayson. The crux of the question asked is to prove the point how Grayson is the requisite choice and not what are the qualities required from a person of this post. Also, passage never says that Grayson has an understanding of the needs and problems of labor. He may not have these qualities (a reasonable assumption), then how can this option strengthen the point that Grayson is a requisite choice.
But option (b) says that Grayson developed good relations with business leaders. We actually require a chairperson of the new council on business-labor relations i.e. we want someone to have good relations with business people. This is what (b) is doing. So, I guess option (b) is a perfect answer for this question.
Please if any expert can correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks in advance!!!
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 20:57
Sukant2010 wrote:
I find option (e) very ambiguous. Though it tells how the chairperson be and what are the qualities desired for this post, in no way the option tells the person is Grayson. The crux of the question asked is to prove the point how Grayson is the requisite choice and not what are the qualities required from a person of this post. Also, passage never says that Grayson has an understanding of the needs and problems of labor. He may not have these qualities (a reasonable assumption), then how can this option strengthen the point that Grayson is a requisite choice.
But option (b) says that Grayson developed good relations with business leaders. We actually require a chairperson of the new council on business-labor relations i.e. we want someone to have good relations with business people. This is what (b) is doing. So, I guess option (b) is a perfect answer for this question.
Thanks in advance!!!

(B).During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.

May be his tenure was of 20 years of which he worked as a labor leader for only 2 years and for 18 years he worked as a labor organizer in which he didn't have good business relations.

On the other hand

(E).An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Grayson is an excellent labor organizer.

What can you infer by the term labor organizer? One who can organize labor when a decision has to be taken or some other reasons. And when the labor will listen you

(1).When you lead them
(2). and they will continue to listen you as a leader when you understand their needs and problems.

Hence (E) is best answer among the options !

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Schools: NTU '17, AGSM '16
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 00:58
TGC wrote:
Sukant2010 wrote:
Thanks in advance!!!

(B).During his years as a labor leader, Grayson established a record of good relations with business leaders.

May be his tenure was of 20 years of which he worked as a labor leader for only 2 years and for 18 years he worked as a labor organizer in which he didn't have good business relations.

On the other hand

(E).An understanding of the needs and problems of labor is the only qualification necessary for the job of chairing the new council.

Grayson is an excellent labor organizer.

What can you infer by the term labor organizer? One who can organize labor when a decision has to be taken or some other reasons. And when the labor will listen you

(1).When you lead them
(2). and they will continue to listen you as a leader when you understand their needs and problems.

Hence (E) is best answer among the options !

But why Grayson then ? anyone can take his place. But B is balancing the scales. On one hand his prowess with handling labor relations is emphasized in the Premise. But if we were to buttress it then his good relations with business leaders makes him an apt choice to act as the bridge in between Business leaders and labors. Correct me if i am wrong.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:42
mayank760 wrote:

But why Grayson then ? anyone can take his place. But B is balancing the scales. On one hand his prowess with handling labor relations is emphasized in the Premise. But if we were to buttress it then his good relations with business leaders makes him an apt choice to act as the bridge in between Business leaders and labors. Correct me if i am wrong.

Anyone is out of scope.

The method of answering a strengthen question is that you pack the stimulus with the answer options and see if the answer option strengthens it.

So when you put (E). as an additional premise , you would see it as a strengthener for the stated reasons in my previous post.

Rgds,
TGC!

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2014, 05:42