Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 08:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 2

Re: Grayson to chair the new council [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:13
Expert's post
Kaja wrote:
hi,Eli,

I agree that if E is eliminated then B will come out for the best one.
I think I know why you question the vadility of this CR problem, do you mean the only way in GMAT to strenghthen a conclusion is to"eliminates alternate possibilities or rules out alternate interpretations " , is it??
Not quite.

In this problem, if you elimnate choice (E), then (B) is the correct answer.
In a proper GMAT problem, if you eliminate the correct answer there is NO correct answer. GMAT problems do not have a 'second best'. They have one right and four rotten.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 11

Re: Grayson to chair the new council [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 19:02
Hey Kaja,

I still agree with you! : )

Just to weigh in again, take a look at the spinach factory question I cite earlier in this thread (page 1). This is a real GMAT question. The correct answer is the one that says they will be able to sell the spinach to a bunch of restaurants. However, that is NOT a foolproof argument. There's no way of knowing HOW much spinach we'd have to sell to make a profit, or if a few health food restaurants will make the difference. We DO have to make some assumptions.

Similarly, the answer choice describing how costs will eventually be cut MUST also relate to profit. If Profit = Revenue - Cost, and you know you're going to cut costs, you also know you're going to raise Profits. Where Eli and I agree (and you're right that we mostly do), is that the answer choice about health food restaurants is ABSOLUTELY better. However, it is NOT foolproof, and there ARE two answer choices that strengthen. In my opinion.

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 2

Re: Grayson to chair the new council [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 21:10
Expert's post
I still disagree about the Spinach problem. What Tommy is overlooking is that there are two ways that the hydroponic factory's spinach could be profitable: if its spinach sells for a large enough premium to offset costs, or if its increased costs are temporary and drop to below normal after a high initial investment. Choice (A) increases the likelihood of the first outcome, but completely rules out the second. It's like flattening carpeting that's too big--you stomp out the lump in one corner, and it pops up in the other.

Note that I definitely overstated my position earlier. I said that there will never be two answers that strengthen the prompt, and that was too absolute a statement--Tommy was correct about that. But there is a clear difference between (A) in the spinach problem, which kinda strengthens the prompt but might also weaken it depending on how you squint, and (B) in Grayson problem, which directly bridges a gap between the author's Evidence and Assumption.

Tommy and I agree the second problem (E) is better. But my test preparation experience tells me that the only reason (B) is wrong is because (E) is right. And my test preparation experience tells me that the GMAT will never require you to look at the other answer choices to eliminate an incorrect answer choice--there is no way that choice (A) could ever be the correct answer choice to the Spinach problem, and that is something that can be determined by reading (A) and reading the prompt, irrespective of the presence of a different better answer.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 6

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 07:51
Nice pissing contest--nothing like a Kaplan-Manhattan showdown :D

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 13:33
At the end of the turf war, obviously, who was the loser. "I've heard a lot of complaints about the quality of the LOSER, and I think this is another example."

GMAT 800?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 14:45
I’m completely surprised that some of so-called GMAT “experts” confused “assumption” question with “strengthen” one and “strengthen” with “strengthen_except” one. Much more desponded is what the attitudes they had towards the confusion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 82

Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 00:20
nice debate..!!.. i must say thats realy good for all who prep for gmat ..

but i agree ..this question is weird.. B and E.. confused me too.. but i wil go with B..could understand how can E b rite??

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

CEO
CEO
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 11:45
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: As an experienced labor organizer and the former head of one   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 11:45