Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As exit polls are used to project the winners of an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

49% (02:29) correct 51% (01:37) wrong based on 266 sessions
As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing voters to change their ballot.

(A) As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing
(B) Exit polls, used for projecting an election's winners and sometimes appearing before polling stations are closed, result in their premature release influencing
(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influences
(D) Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences
(E) As exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Last edited by Zarrolou on 26 Jun 2013, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:27
I was torn between C and D, but chose D. because I don't like "with the result that"

I can see how it changes the meaning slightly in D... implying that "Exit polls used to determine..." specifically are the ones that can mess things up... but I didn't think that that change of meaning was significant.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:33
dave785 wrote:
I was torn between C and D, but chose D. because I don't like "with the result that"

I also didn't like 'with the result that', but how did you use that to distinguish between C and D? They both use it!

I'm still not fully clear on why C > D, but I think it has something to do with the subject of 'their' being ambiguous in the latter.

Perhaps someone can better clarify.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 40

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 11:48
This question is tough. I guess technically the appositive is better but they're both grammatically correct unless I'm missing something...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 12:11
I picked C over D because I thought D changed the meaning.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Below is my understanding.

C mentions that "Exit Polls that sometimes appear before polling stations are closed" where as D mentions that "All exit polls are closed"

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Manager
Manager

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 13:25
maaadhu wrote:
I picked C over D because I thought D changed the meaning.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Below is my understanding.

C mentions that "Exit Polls that sometimes appear before polling stations are closed" where as D mentions that "All exit polls are closed"

Hi maaadhu,

The 'are closed' refers to the polling stations in either case.
It is not the exit polls that are closed - the point is that because poll results may be released before stations are closed, some people's votes may be swayed by these polls, and change their vote.
Exit polls closing doesn't really make sense.

You still got the question right though! Nice :P

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 36

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 17:59
Matt,

you are abs right....exit polls appear before polling stations are closed...Hope I am lucky even in the exam :)

Dont u think "that" is necessary in OPtion D.

"Exit polls that are used to"

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Manager
Manager

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 18:43
maaadhu wrote:
Matt,

you are abs right....exit polls appear before polling stations are closed...Hope I am lucky even in the exam :)

Dont u think "that" is necessary in OPtion D.

"Exit polls that are used to"

Hi maaadu,

This is a very tricky concept. Deciding on the inclusion of 'that' generally needs to be done on a case by case basis.

In this case, the sentence is clear without the use of the word 'that'.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/omitting-that.aspx has a very good explanation.

If you don't want to trudge though that whole article, this is essentially the point:

If you're not sure, just put it in. If you're quite fluent in the language, listen to what sounds better in your ear.

In most cases, it's a stylistic issue, and not a grammatical one.

So with the GMAT in mind, if you think you've chosen the best answer, don't fail to pick that answer and move on just because of this concept.

Good Luck :)

Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 22:38
mattce wrote:
As exit polls are used to project the winners of an election, sometimes appearing before all the polling stations are closed, this results in their premature release influencing voters to change their ballot.

(A) Same
(B) Exit polls, used for projecting an election's winners and sometimes appearing before polling stations are closed, result in their premature release influencing
(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influences
(D) Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences
(E) As exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences

hi,

IMO C
..see the error which i can see in option D is the modifier error:
Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influences===>the meaning here is winners are appearing before polling stations are closed ,but the actual intended meaning is exit polls appear before pollling......hence wrong

thats true even i thought that with the result that adds to wordiness...but before coming to eliminate on the basis of wordiness we should make sure..all the meaning error/modifier error/grammar error are rectified.

please go to through the following article that how GMAC distorts meaning:
5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html

KUDOS if it helped.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 227 [0], given: 629

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:44
This appears to an Economist question. Here are their explanations for the answers choices.

A. This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. Using two reason conjunctions / phrases (as and this results in) to express the relation between two parts of a sentence is redundant. Only one should be used:

As [exit polls are used to project, sometimes appearing before stations are closed,] [their premature release influences voters]

B. This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used for ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , result in their (own?) premature release ...

It is the circumstance of appearing early that has a result, not the exit polls themselves.

C. This answer choice corrects the original redundancy by removing the reason conjunction As at the beginning of the sentence, keeping only one reason phrase (with the result).

D.This answer choice is illogical. Changing the conjugated verb are used into a modifier (used to ...) turns Exit polls into the subject of the verb result. This creates an illogical sentence:

Exit polls, ... , sometimes (a) appear ... and (b) result in their (own?) premature release ...
It is the circumstance of appearing early that has a result, not the exit polls themselves.

E. This answer choice is grammatically incorrect. This answer choice is comprised of two clauses connected by the conjunction As:

As [Jane is a doctor], [she could help the boy] [Jane could help the boy], as [she is a doctor].

However, by changing this results to with the result, the second clause becomes a fragment, lacking both a subject (previously this) and a conjugated verb (previously results): As [Exit polls .... appear] , [ with the result that ...]

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1251

CAT Tests
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 17:35
I eliminated D, because it is an independent clause and it does not end in a ".", or is it separated by a conjunction or a ";".
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 21:42
To me D is wrong because it refers to a particular kind of exit poll - one that is used to project an election's winner - whereas C refers to exit polls in general and provides the additional information (in the introductory modifying phrase) that all exit polls are used to project an election's winner.

The following two sentences should make it clear:

1) The racquets used for playing squash are made of fiber. (particular kind of racquets)

2) Used for playing squash, racquets are made of fiber. (all racquets in general)

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 01:59
C IMO.

(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influencesCorrectly places the modifier before the noun "exit polls"
(D) Exit polls used to project an election's winner sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed, with the result that their premature release influencesIntended meaning is wrong here. This choice says that the exit polls used to project an election's winner - a clear distortion.

Hope that helps.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2014, 22:32
Option C is best:
(C) Used to project the winners of an election, exit polls sometimes appear before all the polling stations are closed with the result that their premature release influences voters to change their ballot.

But there are two their one is refereeing to exit polls and another to voters such construction I think is not legit.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2014, 08:04
TooLong150 wrote:
I eliminated D, because it is an independent clause and it does not end in a ".", or is it separated by a conjunction or a ";".

What do you mean exactly? Could you please elaborate a bit more?

Thanks
Cheers
J 8-)
Re: As exit polls are used to project the winners of an   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2014, 08:04